Best and Worst Main menu Theme??

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
Ive always liked this one a lot:

I can't say any menu music has ever been so bad as to leave a lasting memory, mostly the bad ones are just boring and unmemorable.

vitamint

Sep 22, 2014
Best:
Evil Genius. Hands down. Soaring music, cartoonish visuals, the lot.

Also rans:
Monkey Island, Civilization IV.

Worst:
FTL. Love the game, but the menu music is just ear-scratching.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
One Must Fall 2097 for best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g

I mean...now imagine hearing this when you were a kid.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I'm strange and a fan of the melancholy so I actually leave this game on the main menu often without realizing it

Also I'll never get tired of this one

Honourable mention goes to this one (because I love Jeremy Soule's music)

OKAY LAST ONE BUT I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH

Now for worst... Which I won't post because I don't want to subject others to such tortures xD

I hate the theme from Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts because A) it's a cool theme but it's terribly wasted on that game and B) It's like they're rubbing it in our faces. I mean. the original had ALL these different instruments (it was part of the joke) but in the new one it's like "GUITAR GUITAR DID WE MENTION ELECTRIC GUITAR"

Also this is gonna seem a bit random but the theme for Catz for the DS is also... terrible. and bland. Terribland.

Teepop

Sep 21, 2014
Best would be Batman the Movie or Robocop on the C64 and Spectrum. Both versions of each game have subtle differences.

Can't really say what the worse would be because bad menu music just becomes background noise and I don't notice it.

TheWorstMuppetEver

Jun 5, 2014
Best of the bunch (aka the soundtrack to my heaaaaaaaaart!)

Pikmin
Ahh soothes me soul, this one.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The gradual unease as the tune goes on and the moon is revealed is amazing! You could tell this was gonna be a different game right off the bat!

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
This one is purely for nostalgia factor. This track just makes me feel happy everytime I hear it!

Animal Crossing for Nintendo Gamecube
This one definitely makes me think back to the beginning of high school. I didn't enjoy high school much, so this was the first thing I put on on Saturday mornings. Felt a lot better after playing.

Worst in my opinion:

Sonic and the Secret Rings
I dreaded going back to the main menu. This song is so awful! Gah, it hurts! Can't remember why I traded the game in but I'm willing to bet this might have been the reason...

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
josemlopes said:
A bad one I can think of is the original theme for Dragons Dogma, I guess its an allright song but for an RPG like that it doesnt fit at all.
Funny you say that one's bad, because a lot of people consider it the best ironically. I mean how can one not be monumentally surprised (hyped even) by the first impression to a game being THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEE suddenly riffing in your face like a saturday morning anime opening.
But you have a point, maybe they should have used the theme for the final dragon fight to keep it's necessity actually necessary, otherwise Dark Arisen's theme is vastly superior.

OT:
Metroid Prime's... cmon you know this was coming. The composer for the whole series is a musical genius, and it really showed in his very first piece of music.

Persona 4's. [TRIGGER WARNING for OP]
Gives you the main theme song in such a serene fashion that it would go on to continually ride out and get better with each remix from beginning to end. Beautiful is the best way I can put it.

Pictionary for the NES's theme.
Spoiler: game is terrible. Theme song: So good, I consider it better than the rest. DAMN WHAT A SHAME.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Best?

As for worst...I can't really think of any.

I suppose that the Dark Souls one is a bit...dissonant with what the game offers(seriously, it sounds like it belongs in Fable), but that's about it for me.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
You want Ugly themes in game menus?

A good theme?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
s69-5 said:
josemlopes said:
A bad one I can think of is the original theme for Dragons Dogma, I guess its an allright song but for an RPG like that it doesnt fit at all.
I've been playing Dark Arisen and I really miss the old opening theme (the one you don't like).
It really grows on you.

"The wind is pushing me, into the clouds again
I feel the blood in my veins
Time is running free, I feel like letting go
Just like the Dangan"

It just puts a smile on my face.
It does have more personality then the one in Dark Arisen for sure but its just so misplaced. If the game had a more anime visual style it would fit better but the visuals and tone are very similar to a typical WRPG.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011

Don't know why, but no matter how frustrated I might have been at the game every time I paused it this theme made me keep playing.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Child of Light.
Aurora's Theme plays on the Main menu, and I just love it.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
The themes/soundtracks in general for Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm are just goddamn beautiful. Not only are they wonderfully evocative of the settings, when they start playing in the background of the fighting they make you feel like part of something grand and sweeping, despite all the grim/realistic violence happening around you.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
And I know it's another FPS (and just a Source mod at that) but the theme for Fistful of Frags is also nice and evocative:

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
I suppose that the Dark Souls one is a bit...dissonant with what the game offers(seriously, it sounds like it belongs in Fable), but that's about it for me.

Are you crazy?
This piece of music is one of my favourite things about Dark Souls. I can sit and listen to it for a good hour. (I made a looping version)
And Fable? Really?

I'd call this my "best" main menu theme if it were technically a main menu theme... I suppose it is really.

Worst?
Well, I guess there are people who would disagree with this as much as I disagreed about Dark Soul's, but I simply cannot stand Skyrim's menu theme.
As much as the original Street Fighter IV menu theme grew on me, as much as the orginal Dragon's Dogma theme grew on me, this soured.
It's awful. The rare occasion I start Skyrim up these days I can't load a save fast enough to stop hearing it. I find it grating to listen to and obnoxious in it's attempt to feel epic.