Best Anti-Virus Software?

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
So I've been using AVG (free version) for a while now but recently I've noticed that I'm being occasionally redirected to advert sites which probably means I have adware. I've done a full system scan 5 times so far and found nothing so I?ve decided to get something to replace AVG-free, what would you recommend?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Try Avast Free, then download and install Spybot Search and Destroy. That should sort it all out.

Mr Snuffles

Owner of Mister Toast
Apr 15, 2009
I use Common Sense Free, absolutely free, AND one of the best protection against virus's I have found!

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
There's a programme called Malwarebytes' Anti Malware. I've been using that for a good three years and it seems to be very good at picking up any little bugs. I think you can download it for free

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
After trying most packages for the past decade (Norton, Kaspersky, Panda, AVG etc), I have happily settled with Eset nod32.

LitigationJackson

May 22, 2009
just had another idea, get firefox if you dont have it already, and go through and block all the ads. some of them use a java security breach to install stuff. i'd be suprised if avg didnt catch it but oh well. plus no more ads.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
mikecoulter said:
Try Avast Free, then download and install Spybot Search and Destroy. That should sort it all out.
This is what I have as a setup, and the only things it's caught was, on the first run mind you, all the crap Norton let through. Since then, nothing. I also have COMODO firewall, but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
I use AVG Internet Security. Works fine for me and has picked up on everything so far. Whatever you do NEVER buy (or use the free version of) Norton, it is a virus. If a computer comes with it download a Norton removal tool and uninstall it, don't uninstall it from the control panel since it wont remove all of it. I've been told that Nod32 is good but I didn't like it, especially since the company that produces didn't look all that legit to me but hey, that could just be my lack of trust :p.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
First I used Norton, which was sub par at best. Then I used AVG, which worked for about two weeks then started being shite.

Now I have Norton 360 and it's still doing wonderfully, I'll definitely stick with this one.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Antitonic said:
mikecoulter said:
This is what I have as a setup, and the only things it's caught was, on the first run mind you, all the crap Norton let through. Since then, nothing. I also have COMODO firewall, but I'm not sure it makes a difference.
If nothing is being caught then that means that either

A) your firewall is doing it's job and not letting anything through
B) your anti-virus is doing jack-shit or isn't up to date with the latest viruses to detect them

I don't know much about COMODO so I can't really comment

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
LitigationJackson said:
just had another idea, get firefox if you dont have it already, and go through and block all the ads. some of them use a java security breach to install stuff. i'd be suprised if avg didnt catch it but oh well. plus no more ads.
or just use chrome

Jul 23, 2008
Right now i'm using Kaspersky internet security. It's pretty good, not the best paid service, which i still think goes to NOD32.

I actually managed to go a year or so on just antivirus trials. Hopping from one to another to keep my computer protected.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
pejhmon said:
Antitonic said:
mikecoulter said:
If nothing is being caught then that means that either

A) your firewall is doing it's job and not letting anything through
B) your anti-virus is doing jack-shit or isn't up to date with the latest viruses to detect them

I don't know much about COMODO so I can't really comment
It's all up to date, so I hope it's option A. :p

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Common sense?
I use AVG free, but never have any problems with viruses (it hasn't picked anything serious up ever) But then, I'm a very careful person.