Best Batman Movie

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I really seem to have Batman on the brain right now, so in the interest of continuing that trend I ask you: What do you think is the best Batman movie?

For me, it's a toss-up between Batman Begins and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. The action in Begins is definitely better, but I find Phantasm's Bruce Wayne to be a lot more interesting. Plus, the scene where he puts on his mask for the first time is - for lack of a better word - epic, despite or maybe even because of how subdued it is. The Dark Knight was a good movie, but the more I thought about it the less it seemed to make sense, and then of course there's the voice... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmyYKnymT4E] What's weird to me is that only TDK seems to have this problem, since Batman sounded fine in BB.

I saw the 1989 Tim Burton movie too and didn't care for it. It was a while ago, though, so perhaps I should give it another chance.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Batman Forever!

No, but really... the original Batman is great. Jack Nicholson as the Joker does a wonderful job of being an insane villain.
Of course I don't count any animated films here since there are far too many and I have only seen a fraction.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Apart from Jack Nicholson's Joker, I was underwhelmed by Tim Burton's Batman, and I haven't seen Batman Returns or Batman and Robin. I can barely even remember Batman Forever and The Dark Knight (other than that the latter was long and, because I hadn't seen Batman Begins then, I didn't entirely get the plot).

So I guess my personal favourite would be Batman Begins.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I guess I have to go the completely uninteresting option and say Dark Knight.

That being said, I do have a rather large fondness for Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. If I ever needed justification that Batman Beyond was totally awesome, that would be it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Did someone just praise the action in Batman Begins? That's a first!

OT: The Dark Knight. I really enjoyed that movie, although, admittedly, my Batman movie viewing has been pretty slack. I've only seen the '66 one and the two Nolan ones. I think I saw one of the Burton ones, too, but I can't remember it at all.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
The Dark Knight. I fucking LOVED that movie and their rendition of the Joker.
And before anyone says it, the Joker himself commented on how he changes his personality constantly. One day he's a "mischievous clown" the other he's a "psychopathic killer."
Sorry, always wanted to get that off my chest. I've gotten tired of those smug comments about how Ledger's Joker was "wrong."

Runner up would be Under the Red Hood. God, I loved that movie.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Toss up between Batman Begins/The Dark Knight (they're pretty much equal in my eyes) and the '89 Burton one. The Nolan films are better movies from a film critic's perspective, but the Burton one is all around better as a Batman movie; it's pretty much a live action Batman: The Animated Series. Its a lot like the 2009 Star Trek movie. It was a great Summer blockbuster, but /terrible/ as an example of what Star Trek is all about. Give me VI, TMP, II, or III (yes, in that order) any day. Heck, give me V. The execution was terrible, but the ideas behind the story were pure Star Trek.

Edit: In fact, flip II and III. It's another example of great movie, mediocre example of the franchise.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Mask of the Phantasm has no equal. Best Joker and best Batman ever put on the silver screen.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
Out of the movies, I am going to have to say TDK. I admit a bias on my part, as a comic fan, the Joker is essentially my favorite villian of all time. Ledgers Joker may have had a few details wrong ( war paint instead of actual bleached skin, ect) but the personality and thought process was virtually an exact match to the best of the Joker's appearances in the comic books.

As for the best Batman from a film standpoint, I'd say probably Batman Begins.

I've noticed several people referencing the Animated Series (and its spin off) as being the best movie, notably the Mask of Phantasm. I don't disagree with the assessment of the Animated series and it's movies being awesome, but for the purposes of this thread, I have kept my answers to live action movies.

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
Mine would be "Under the Red Hood'

I love the ending confrontation and its really dark opening.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Batman: Under the Red Hood.

It was the only time I ever felt like Batman was important to his own movie.

Marcus McLean

May 12, 2010
I am tempted to say Mask Of The Phantasm. The animated series Joker has always been my favourite, although honestly while I do always put that film on when I want to show people 'the best Batman film they haven't seen', the ending has never satisfied me.

How do people think Subzero with Mr. Freeze holds up against MOTP? People don't really talk about it much but I think it's the best Mr. Freeze story, but does it compare well? I'm not sure.

But really as much as I hate people slobbering over Nolan, Dark Knight might be the best Batman movie. Maybe.

Supercereal

Mar 3, 2012
Shreder55 said:
Mine would be "Under the Red Hood'

I love the ending confrontation and its really dark opening.
Joe Dimaggio did an unbelievable job as the voice of the joker and you are right the ending was wonderful

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
Im going with the uninteresting option and choosing The Dark Knight
why? because Batman himself is boring to me, I am much more interested in the character of the Joker.

although i havent seen any of his animated movies.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
The dark knight by far, not only is it my favorite batman movie its my favorite movie EVER! really looking forward to the sequel! already bought my tickets for it!