Best Buy Goes Online in U.K.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Hmmm,

When it comes to in store retailing, given my knowledge of what best buy actually sell is limited (I assume a wide range of electronic products) they have to contend with PC world, Comet and Dixons and to a less extent curry's (coz its so crap).

PC world is a rip of and is pretty crap in terms of range of products / knowledge of service though some tech guys are ok. Comet and Dixons dont have a clue but they have an ok range of products but are expensive.

Going online Best Buy's main competitor is far and away Play.com which is pretty awesome I do all my game/dvd and sometimes electronic buying of there because its MUCH cheaper.

They will have to do well to beat play.com as an online retailer given there low prices / reliable delivery / free delivery costs on most products.

But generally if they turn out to have low prices i'll check them out.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
I wasn't aware they even existed in this country. You'd think they'd have one in Birmingham.
As far as I know, the first store opened in Birmingham (I live in Derby but listen to Kerrang where it has the occational BestBuy ad!)

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
According to the best buy uk website, there is a store in Birmingham :| though ive never heard about it. Its in the Merry Hill shopping centre which i never go to because its a dive.

The one in Derby isnt open yet. But there are only 4 stores open in the uk currently.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
GLo Jones said:
Scotty. said:
Oh, I'm sorry writer, I didn't realise that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland weren't part of the UK any more, just England. How silly of me.

Idiot.
The 4 (soon to be 5) stores in the UK happen to have only hit England so far, though this is no doubt part of a push for the entire UK.

No need to jump to conclusions, especially if it offends you.
So only people in England are able to access the website online as well? Let me just go check that...

Hmm, no, didn't think so, whoever wrote this article needs to go back to school and re-sit basic geography.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Wow, so much hate in this thread. Escapist needs to be more politically correct lest they step on the toes of some angry British kids.

samilisco

Nov 10, 2009
hmm...both comet and dixons are pretty bad...usually very expensive and you really struggle to get any decent advice out of anyone. I'm pretty sure they're owned by the same company anyways.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Pandora92 said:
GLo Jones said:
Scotty. said:
Oh, I'm sorry writer, I didn't realise that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland weren't part of the UK any more, just England. How silly of me.

Idiot.
The 4 (soon to be 5) stores in the UK happen to have only hit England so far, though this is no doubt part of a push for the entire UK.

So only people in England are able to access the website online as well? Let me just go check that...

Hmm, no, didn't think so, whoever wrote this article needs to go back to school and re-sit basic geography.
Ah! I see his mistake now. My apologies.
Rusty Bucket said:
It says this article was posted on December 31st 1969. Am I the only one seeing that?
My mind has just been blown.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Thank goodness for that! Now I don't have to go on a 300 mile trek to my "nearest" store in Aintree! /sarcasm.

I'd be surprised if Best Buy can compete in the UK given that there's about 6 other high-street shops that sell everything best buy does...

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Pandora92 said:

In the US, "England" and "UK" are used pretty much interchangeably. Pretty much no one knows/cares about the whole "actually several countries except sort-of just one" thing.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
It says this article was posted on December 31st 1969. Am I the only one seeing that?
Unix-based webservers for the win!

[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_epoch"]Explanation here[/a]. Also, [a href="http://xkcd.com/376/"]this[/a] comic now makes more sense to you.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
GLo Jones said:
Pandora92 said:
GLo Jones said:
Scotty. said:

Idiot.

Ah! I see his mistake now. My apologies.
You have nothing to apologize for really, I actually figured he meant the stores were only in England for now too when I read the first sentence, but when I read the rest I was like -.-.

Aidinthel said:
Pandora92 said:

In the US, "England" and "UK" are used pretty much interchangeably. Pretty much no one knows/cares about the whole "actually several countries except sort-of just one" thing.
That doesn't make it OK though, being ignorant is all well and good if you're just talking with your friends, but if you're writing an article on a popular website that is read by people of multiple nationalities, then it's not too much to ask that you get the very basic terms right and don't make such a huge mistake. Maybe I'm over-reacting to be honest, but shit like this just always bothers me.