Best character customization?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Of all the games I have played it's close between Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion. In Dragon Age it's much easier to make a visually appealing character, but Oblivion I feel is just a touch deeper.

I hear that APB is Unbeatable in it's costumization, but I haven't played it so I can't judge yet.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I suppose Saint's Row 2 wins. I know of no other game where one may play as a naked dancing Spartan with a legion of purple ninjas under his command.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Pretty much anything by Bioware has good character customization. Saints Row 2 was good too, but the lack of voices (3 for each sex... 2 of which suck/are annoying for each) and GOOD hairstyles kinda ruined that for me.

As for my favorite, I would say Oblivion, even by Bioware standards was exceptionally good among many very good character customizations- you could be a lizardman! Would you prefer green, blue, red, or pretty much any other color of the rainbow for your scale color?

Soul Calibur 4 was very good too, but the stats forced you to choose the worst matching outfits to get the best fighter. On the other hand, you COULD make someone with red skin ^_^ (I think I have a problem with outrageous skin colors...)

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
I'd have to say city of heroes/villains. It may not have the best when it comes to pure human customization but I have to love a game where I can make a dwarf lizard man-scuba diver- megaman robot villain complete with total back story, special types of powers and power sources, and the most ridiculous battle cry I can think of.

For just humans probably Saints Row 2. I have to check out the one for APB though. It sounds even better in some ways.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
Apocalypse Tank said:
Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Runner up:
Oblivion
I would flip those two around, but then again I still do have a very special attachment to my Rainbow Six character.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Saint's Row 2. Everything from looks, voice, outfit and even the way you walk is customized. As well as what gestures you use primarily.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
The only reason I play wrestling games is for the character customization, by far my favourite genre of games in terms of customization. I haven't watched a WWE episode in almost 4 years and haven't watched them on a regular basis since they were still the WWF and I was in grade 5, so it's clear I'm not a fan, but damn do I love creating characters in a Smackdown game.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Mass Effect, hands down. You can change everything in that game.
You still gotta be human! and you always gotta be "Commander Shepard" (spelling?), although most games don't call you by your own personalised name but in text (I guess for fear of expletives or something) or by your title ("Grey Warden" from Dragon Age)

At least in Oblivion you don't have to be human! or "Imperial", whatever...

On a side note, ARE there any games out there that actually say your own, personalised name NOT in text?

theodosian

Beard of Legend
Feb 8, 2010
I would have to say Morrowind. For all of its gameplay flaws (absurdly unbalanced combat and the walking speed of sloth on opium) the ability to create essentially potluck armor was impressive as well as the enormous amount of stats allowing for virtually any class idea that could be thought up. Though the faces were somewhat limited, it is one of the few games that allowed a character to travel in heavy armor while hiding it with robes or a cloak, allowing for the possibility to have the secret badass or create that post apoc look that's always floating around but never really allowed for. Regardless, it was pretty bloody time consuming to try to balance everything.

Really, the best all around is still the SPECIAL system, especially when coupled without the Fallout pnp system. Easy to use, thorough enough, highly customizable, and allowed for quick jaunts in the wastes. Big win for the home team.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Truth Cake said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
You still gotta be human! and you always gotta be "Commander Shepard" (spelling?), although most games don't call you by your own personalised name but in text (I guess for fear of expletives or something) or by your title ("Grey Warden" from Dragon Age)

On a side note, ARE there any games out there that actually say your own, personalised name NOT in text?
I'd say it makes up for the whole "human thing" with its plot, also there are some mods in the PC version where you can play as Turian and a few other races like the Hanar and Elcor.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
I feel like I'm always talking about it nowadays but I have to say Neverwinter Nights. I haven't played every RPG but the even with its dated graphics it still looks good with a huge database of armors and weapons. Most importantly though is the class customisation, it's not an exaggeration to say there could be a dozen different ways to play each class (Quite a few classes too) and the fact that some abilities cross over into overworld play ie. not PvE, is awesome.

I look at customisation in terms of the type of character rather than appearance though.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Truth Cake said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:

I'd say it makes up for the whole "human thing" with its plot, also there are some mods in the PC version where you can play as Turian and a few other races like the Hanar and Elcor.
I thought we were talking about the better character customization, not better game overall? I've never played the PC mods, but doesn't playing as a non-human kinda ruin half the plot of both Mass Effects?

*stifled giggle* Shepard as a Hanar? I wonder how he would..? -snip-

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Not too sure, Saints Row 2 looks to have heaps. Also, Reach looks very nice in terms of customizing your own Spartan!

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
sketch_zeppelin said:
Saints Row 2. you can make the character look anyway you want. you can even choose the voice and animations for the character and since the game has no armor you can dress them how you want without robbing them of they're indivuality and its a blast to see your creation during the in game cut scenes
but no matter how you make them look they'll always run like a constipated gorilla.

But yeah, it's an excellent character creator. probably equal to Spore.

Zack5777

Sep 7, 2010
Truth Cake said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:

There really can't be good in game speaking of character names, it would sound out of place like the computer speech function of computer.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
Saints Row 2 has an amazing character customization. One minute you could be a huge English bloke and the next a hot Latina woman.