Best character customization?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
City of Heroes had amazing amount of options. Too bad they didn't have the option to make the model not look like shit.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Zack5777 said:
Truth Cake said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Mass Effect, hands down. You can change everything in that game.
You still gotta be human! and you always gotta be "Commander Shepard" (spelling?), although most games don't call you by your own personalised name but in text (I guess for fear of expletives or something) or by your title ("Grey Warden" from Dragon Age)

At least in Oblivion you don't have to be human! or "Imperial", whatever...

On a side note, ARE there any games out there that actually say your own, personalised name NOT in text?
There really can't be good in game speaking of character names, it would sound out of place like the computer speech function of computer.
Well someone can at least try >.>

OR even better make the character who is speaking your name a computer! Anyone else thinking Glados?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
AcacianLeaves said:
Unfortunately I don't think many games have really succeeded in manufacturing a robust character customization system. Many games have a great 'character creation' system, but then you get saddled with a very limited selection of armor, clothing, or weapons. Oblivion and Fallout 3 are great examples of this. Yeah, I could spend an hour crafting an exact image of myself - but very soon into the game I'd be wearing full power armor or whatever the 'nut' item for my chosen specialization is.

So my question to you, Escapists, is what is a game that you have played that you feel has the best character customization system in all of gaming? I mean from creation through leveling and into a final 'ideal' character.
You and my wife are the only people I've ever heard of that can make a realistic looking character in a Bethesda game. My wife is also able to craft a pretty convincing double of herself: the only attractive characters I ever see in those games-even the creators can't seem to make the chicks in those games hot.

To answer your question, I recommend Sims 3, if your computer can get it to work properly; it's got more bugs than Fallout 3. You get a lot of customization to start off, then there's expansions and dlc (free and pay-for). The most recent iteration is kind of like a mundane world sandbox rpg. It would be a really cool game if it actually worked properly.

After that I would definitely have to recommend Saints Row 2. I was able to make everyone from Dr Girlfriend from Venture Bros. (complete with voice) to the Comic Book Guy from Simpsons. Physical customization can be done at any time in the game from the Plastic Surgery shop, then there are plenty of clothing stores, costume shops, and even a lingerie store to dress up with. On top of that, it's a really fun game too.

Zack5777

Sep 7, 2010
Truth Cake said:
Zack5777 said:
Truth Cake said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
You still gotta be human! and you always gotta be "Commander Shepard" (spelling?), although most games don't call you by your own personalised name but in text (I guess for fear of expletives or something) or by your title ("Grey Warden" from Dragon Age)

On a side note, ARE there any games out there that actually say your own, personalised name NOT in text?
There really can't be good in game speaking of character names, it would sound out of place like the computer speech function of computer.

OR even better make the character who is speaking your name a computer! Anyone else thinking Glados?
Even if it is that way, have you ever heard those automated message boxs that the person says their name into? ["You have reached the mail box of [person speaking their own name here], leave a message after the tone:"] Even though it is a machine it still sounds out of the way and forced. That also goes for those talking caller IDs they butcher names.

Theninja'skatana

Aug 29, 2010
There hasn't been much of a demand for it at least none that I've heard...I did like Saint's row 2 customization though (still laughing as my british stoner with a fro crashes through walls in a pimped-out car)!
I would like some more gun customization Though (Ice bullets please)!
Srry to de-rail there.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
subject_87 said:
I've played some Saints Row 2, and man is it in-depth. My character was a Hispanic guy with an Australian accent, and it just had my friends and me cracked up.
I gotta say... the accent you have in mind was the English Cockney one... there wasn't an Australian accent in Saints Row 2. There definitely wasn't.

OT

Oblivion wins it for me. I haven't played many games with decent cusomtisation, my only experienced really being with Oblivion, Fallout, Saints Row 2 and Dynasty Warriors (Empires). I have to say that out of all of them, Oblivion has presented the best chance for complete control. Fallout 3 only slips away because of the outfits being a whole, rather than in seperate pieces of equipment.

It is easy to fuck up your character in both though... mess with the settings too much and you can lose the handsome dunmer you spent the last hour making...

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
The WWE: Smackdown games are pretty godawful but their character creation system is amazing.
It's just a damn shame that they took out the female and gender neutral models for the main game.

Saints Row 2 is pretty good but you have to hunt for the stuff you want. And for all the customization of your character and vehicles there's virtually no customization for your gang.
So no matter how cool you look, your gang is still made up of a bunch of big purple morons.

Champions Online has some really really good character creation going on. I don't think there was a single idea I had that I couldn't duplicate or at least come comfortably close.
It's a shame the game balance was so godawful.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Furious Styles said:
I've heard Saints Row is good for that, haven;t played it though.
This. I played as a fat, cockney gangsta with a black santa-beard, and kitted out in top hat, pin-stripe trousers, shirt and flasher coat. All in a dashing black and bright purple combination.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Zack5777 said:
Truth Cake said:
Zack5777 said:
Truth Cake said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:

Even if it is that way, have you ever heard those automated message boxs that the person says their name into? ["You have reached the mail box of [person speaking their own name here], leave a message after the tone:"] Even though it is a machine it still sounds out of the way and forced. That also goes for those talking caller IDs they butcher names.
Point taken, but we never really know until someone tries... not that this debate really matters since this is totally off topic >.>

My vote still goes to Oblivion for best character customization, with Soul Calibur 4 coming in a pretty distant second...

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
As previously stated Saints Row 2 and APB. Both are pretty ridiculous in how much you can customize.

That said, APB is pretty well off the fucking charts in that dept.