Best Character Introductions

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Guffe said:
I think Dr. Steins introduction in Soul Eater (manga/anime) was good.
You got the goofiness and craziness of the character at first and then, just like that, BAM, the strength was also there to be seen. Very well executed introduction if you ask me.
I take your Stein and raise you an Excalibur.

(FYI, the audio and video do not sync up)

Granted, I know little of the series, and only ran into this after looking up his song [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMv2zBafZU].

I'll try to think of something I actually know something about.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well. Misaka Mikoto, obviously.

*hair flip*

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ian McKellen gets a wonderful intro as Richard III. I love the bathroom bit in particular. What an actor.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Fox12 said:
General Grievous
I'm talking about the cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrsE7nRQGE
As bad as the prequels were, I do believe this scene has merit. A new character kills off a host of established, skilled fighters. He does it in a psychological, brutal fashion, and he always seems to have a trick up his sleeve as the series progresses. He's a monster, but he's incredibly intelligent and dangerous. When he arrives, it's clear that major characters are going to die, and the audience realizes that the plot armor is gone. Though he was ruined in the films, I do believe his introduction here was one of the most memorable I've seen for a character.
Oh hell yes. The cartoon as a whole was badass, but Grievous was particularly memorable. It's not every day you see a group of Jedi quake in their boots over a single individual (and a non-Force sensitive one at that).

I'm on a bit of a Star Wars nostalgia binge at the moment, so here goes:

Emperor Palpatine:

OR​

Either one works​

I considered Vader at first, but I think Palpatine made more of an initial impression on me because I immediately knew how important he was. I didn't know a thing about Vader when I first saw him on the Tantive IV. Was he a man or a robot? Were there others like him? Did he even talk? It really isn't until you get to the sequels that you realize just how powerful and feared Vader truly is.

That made it all the more shocking to see VADER of all people kneeling before someone. You knew that, whatever his appearance may be, Palpatine was a real force (lol) to be reckoned with.

Kanan Jarrus:
So I've been watching Star Wars Rebels, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It does a great job capturing the essense of what made the franchise so popular in the first place. Case in point: the big reveal for Kanan's character:

Not gonna lie, I got goosebumps from that scene. The swelling score, the stunned reactions, the kick of nostalgia it sent up my spine, etc. I love how agent Kallus pauses before finishing his order, like he can't believe what he's witnessing (can't say I blame him, as the Jedi are supposed to be all but wiped out at this point in time).

After having lightsabers shoved in our faces constantly with the prequels and various spin-offs, it was a grand reminder that Jedi are supposed to be awe-inspiring, almost mythical to your average sentient. Also, Kanan reminds me a bit of Kyle Katarn, which is always a plus.

And now for something not Star Wars related...

The Flim Flam Brothers:
Not gonna lie, I did not have high hopes for this episode when I first read the synopsis. Fortunately my assumptions were gloriously wrong.

I like con artist villains. I think it's because of how devious and underhanded their tactics are. Instead of telegraphing their wicked intent a mile away, they pretend to be kind and friendly while secretly plotting to fleece their victims for all they're worth. To quote Captain Picard, "Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged." Throw in an old-timey "snake oil salesman" persona with a catchy as hell musical number and you've got a winner on your hands. It also sends a good message to kids to be wary of such individuals.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
soren7550 said:
Guffe said:
I think Dr. Steins introduction in Soul Eater (manga/anime) was good.
You got the goofiness and craziness of the character at first and then, just like that, BAM, the strength was also there to be seen. Very well executed introduction if you ask me.
I take your Stein and raise you an Excalibur.

(FYI, the audio and video do not sync up)

Granted, I know little of the series, and only ran into this after looking up his song [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMv2zBafZU].

I'll try to think of something I actually know something about.
You're both wrong! The true answer is Blair!
And... I can't find a video for it... How the hell internet? It has a naked and sexy lady in a bath tub!

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
TakerFoxx said:
Thrax in Osmosis Jones had a fantastic one. For a movie supposed to make us dread germs, they really went out of their way to make them look awesome.

Ya know, it occurs to me how much graphic violence this movie got away with by being about cells, rather than people.

OT: Godzilla from the 2014 movie.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really enjoyed Kimahri's introduction in FF 10. I thought it really set in stone what he was about, and how he was ready to fuck you up. He became my favorite character in that game, and I powered him up to be a total badass combatant.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
When Yuri Volte Hyuga gets (re-)introduced during the opening sequence of Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Not the most detailed CG-animation, but the pacing, sound and camera angles are just perfect. Still gives me the chills.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fox12 said:
Sephiroth
The first one I'll mention is sephiroth. Now, he's been overexposed at this point, and a lot of people are rather tired of hearing about him. But many individuals forget just how intriguing he was at the time, as the game kept him shadowed in mystery for the entire first part of the story. We hear his name whispered by Cloud, and by President Shinra, who seem to hold him in reverence. We don't know who this man is yet, but it's clear that he's important. When he does show up, it's one hell of an introduction. Cloud and friends were easily captured by Shinra, and thrown in jail. And yet, when you wake up, the power to the entire building has been wiped out. There's blood everywhere, and if you follow the path of destruction he's left in his wake, you find his sword sitting in the back of the man who, at this point, was the primary antagonist. Where you failed, sephiroth walked in and achieved his goal effortlessly. Bare in mind, we haven't even seen him yet. This is importent, because the game spends a massive amount of time building up his reputation before introducing him to us.

When we do meet him in the flashback, he's a cold but decent human being. We get to know his strengths and weaknesses, and sympathize with him as a person. When he cracks, the game delivers the scene flawlessly. The music is low and sinister, but it builds upon itself as you get closer to the burning of nebelheim. Finally he lays waste to the town, and we're given one of the greatest moments in gaming history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX7aFlSZBQ
The game then continues to build him up. After facing the midgar serpent, an enemy that's unbeatable at this point in the game, we see it killed and displayed as a testament to Sephiroths glory. The game uses the mechanics to emphasize the power of the enemy we're dealing with. It spends a lot of time and care establishing its villain before we ever get the opportunity to actually speak with him. This adds to his aura and characterization, and, love him or hate him, his introduction is nearly flawless.
Not to be finicky-- it's certainly a great introduction-- but isn't most of that stuff done by Jenova, mimicking him? We find Sephiroth's been frozen in the crater most of the time.

Well, I've seen people say it's meant to be Sephiroth controlling Jenova mimicking Sephiroth, but that just seemed a bit silly to me.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
I think Madara has a pretty good intro in Naruto Shippuden, episode 322 when he wipes the floor with an army by himself and then drops meteors on them

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Silvanus said:
Fox12 said:
Sephiroth
The first one I'll mention is sephiroth. Now, he's been overexposed at this point, and a lot of people are rather tired of hearing about him. But many individuals forget just how intriguing he was at the time, as the game kept him shadowed in mystery for the entire first part of the story. We hear his name whispered by Cloud, and by President Shinra, who seem to hold him in reverence. We don't know who this man is yet, but it's clear that he's important. When he does show up, it's one hell of an introduction. Cloud and friends were easily captured by Shinra, and thrown in jail. And yet, when you wake up, the power to the entire building has been wiped out. There's blood everywhere, and if you follow the path of destruction he's left in his wake, you find his sword sitting in the back of the man who, at this point, was the primary antagonist. Where you failed, sephiroth walked in and achieved his goal effortlessly. Bare in mind, we haven't even seen him yet. This is importent, because the game spends a massive amount of time building up his reputation before introducing him to us.

When we do meet him in the flashback, he's a cold but decent human being. We get to know his strengths and weaknesses, and sympathize with him as a person. When he cracks, the game delivers the scene flawlessly. The music is low and sinister, but it builds upon itself as you get closer to the burning of nebelheim. Finally he lays waste to the town, and we're given one of the greatest moments in gaming history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX7aFlSZBQ
The game then continues to build him up. After facing the midgar serpent, an enemy that's unbeatable at this point in the game, we see it killed and displayed as a testament to Sephiroths glory. The game uses the mechanics to emphasize the power of the enemy we're dealing with. It spends a lot of time and care establishing its villain before we ever get the opportunity to actually speak with him. This adds to his aura and characterization, and, love him or hate him, his introduction is nearly flawless.
Not to be finicky-- it's certainly a great introduction-- but isn't most of that stuff done by Jenova, mimicking him? We find Sephiroth's been frozen in the crater most of the time.

Well, I've seen people say it's meant to be Sephiroth controlling Jenova mimicking Sephiroth, but that just seemed a bit silly to me.
It was never really clear, which is one of my biggest gripes about the game. I always got the impression that he was controlling things from his little prison. Either he was controlling jenovas body or, more likely, he was controlling one of his minions, like he did cloud. The only other explanation I can think of is that he managed to create a psychic projection of himself, but that's stretching it a bit. Regardless, jenova couldn't have broken herself out of prison, and sephiroth seemed to have some involvement before the plot started.

Also, we see jenovas normal body, so it wouldn't really make sense for him to make jenova look like himself. Like I said, he either manipulated one of his followers, created an image of himself, or jenova mimicked him. I don't think it's the last one, though, because jenova needed an instigator, and if she was powerful enough to do this without sephiroth then I don't think she'd bother with him in the first place.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
JaceArveduin said:
And... I can't find a video for it... How the hell internet? It has a naked and sexy lady in a bath tub!
Here solved it for you

The only one I can think of right now is Vaas from Far Cry 3

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Rabbitboy said:
JaceArveduin said:
Here solved it for you

The only one I can think of right now is Vaas from Far Cry 3
Thanks for that! Though I don't remember seeing those conveniently placed lotion bottles when I watched the anime...

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
I'd have to say The Joker from The Dark Knight
And Peter Jason Quill otherwise known as Star Lord which since its not out yet I don't have a clip of the dancing scene.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
I really enjoyed Kimahri's introduction in FF 10. I thought it really set in stone what he was about, and how he was ready to fuck you up. He became my favorite character in that game, and I powered him up to be a total badass combatant.
"Yuna needs Kimahri," * swings halberd* " Kimahri protect Yuna". I don't know why, but this scene has stuck with me. Yeah, Kimahri is cool. Although I wish that most of his blue magic spells weren't overdrives. Spending meter to spit out a seed? Come on!

OT: Auron from FFX. But not his first introduction. I mean the first time he appeared in Luca. So boss.