Best Charities to Donate To

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Due to some investments going....less then well, I have recently taken a decent amount of money out of the market to basically sit in my bank account. Seeing as I have little in the way of expenses at the moment I was interested in making some charitable donations. I have already decided on St. Judes and the Wounded Warrior Project, does anyone know any other good and reliable charities?

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
I prefer Kiva, it's micro-financing small businesses in poorer countries where your money is worth more.

It's very rewarding when the person is able to refund your loan. Then you loan the money you just got back out again to someone else.

Also the money is paid back 98.99% of the time (the advertisement).

In my case I've been using it 7 months and of the 17 loans I've made 5 have been completely paid off.

I see it more as a success story and I'm only worried about one of those people in my 2nd set of loans.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
YFC Cape Town!

They're currently running a number of projects including one called NDiFundise. They go to a primary school called Vissershok, which normally is very poorly equipped, most days of the week to be teacher assistants in the classrooms, to help run a feeding program and to run an after-school homework club. There are so many kids there who are smart enough to escape the poverty they live in and really want to but just don't get the support from the school or their parents - this project was set-up to give them all the support they need to make it through school and higher education.

They run a number of other projects too - more videos on Youtube! =) If you wanna know more, let me know! I've worked directly with these kids now for the past three summers.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Help for Heroes,
Royal Air Force Association,
Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund...

There may be a slight chance I am biased! However, they are all good charities that directly help people without all the money wasted on advertising or dodgy causes... And they need help! (Especially RAFA and RAFBF)

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
My favourite is Greenpeace. The way I see it, they're actually doing something with the money as opposed to a lot of charites that get it taken away by tax when providing aid.

PrinceFortinbras

Jul 18, 2012
If you want to know where you can help people most per dollar, this might be a useful website.

http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Save it-you never know when there might be an emergency that requires you to suddenly need it for you or your family/ friends-you know what they say charity starts at home.

Captcha:WHAT IS YOUR QUEST

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
If I were to donate money, I'd donate towards something along the lines of animal rescue. Right now I'm in no position to give money to anything, but when I can, I'll be donating to Hope for Paws or WWF.

No, PETA is not a legitimate alternative, in case anyone thought otherwise.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
It really depends on what concerns/ interests you personally. I'm a fairly parental individual so most my donations go towards helping children. Charities like Locks of Love, Make-a-Wish, and Children's Miracle. Though I also like animals so don't mind helping out habitats like my local zoo.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Boris Goodenough said:
Doctors without boarders.
Wait... there's a charity for Doctors who don't have people paying to live with them?

Or do you mean Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontiers)? Good mob. I donate $20 a month to them.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Sunrider84 said:
If I were to donate money, I'd donate towards something along the lines of animal rescue. Right now I'm in no position to give money to anything, but when I can, I'll be donating to Hope for Paws or WWF.

No, PETA is not a legitimate alternative, in case anyone thought otherwise.
Yeah, PETA are a bunch of extremist nutjobs (plus they actually kill lots of animals, which seems pretty hypocritical)

I'd recommend WSPA as a non-crazy alternative to PETA.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
www.wecanbeheroes .org without the spaces. I donated to this like 2 minutes ago. Helps starving people in Africa. Got an ad in Injustice. EDIT: D.C. Comics will send you spam, so watchout.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Shock and Awe said:
Due to some investments going....less then well, I have recently taken a decent amount of money out of the market to basically sit in my bank account. Seeing as I have little in the way of expenses at the moment I was interested in making some charitable donations. I have already decided on St. Judes and the Wounded Warrior Project, does anyone know any other good and reliable charities?
by far the best charities to donate to are small, local charities. The bigger they get, and the more far-reaching, the more of the money they receive gets wasted on expenses instead of helping the people it's supposed to. I would suggest investing in the future. Donate to your local school for new books or new computers, or donate to your local hospital. That way it will go straight 100% to helping people.