Best Cheese Fries?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Inspired by a thread elsewhere, I ask you this, Escapists: Where did you eat your favorite cheese fries?

I've had cheese fries all over, and the ones they make at the new ball park in San Francisco are #2 for me. My favorite cheese fries, however, are the ones they make in the Carlsbad Caverns cafeteria in New Mexico. Damn good cheese fries. Maybe the fact that I'd been eating granola and hummus for a week, hiking in the Guadalupe Mountains when I ordered them, skewed my perception, but they were mighty tasty. Three cheeses, no less.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
As of now, Carolina Ale House [http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3911+Durham+Chapel+Hill+Blvd,+Durham+NC+27713&ie=UTF8&ll=35.970261,-78.955393&spn=0.017366,0.057678&om=1]. Big, seasoned steak fries with multiple cheeses, real bacon, and optional jalapenos if that's your thing. They're even better when you follow them up with the ribs.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Unfortunately we don't get cheese fries here in Aus, but there is a little chicken shop called "Rockin Rooster" just down the road from my work (northern suburbs of melbourne) that sell some fantastic seasoned chips.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Goofonian said:
Unfortunately we don't get cheese fries here in Aus, but there is a little chicken shop called "Rockin Rooster" just down the road from my work (northern suburbs of melbourne) that sell some fantastic seasoned chips.
Sprinkle some cheese on them as soon as they come out of the pan and you'll have it.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Fletcher said:
Sprinkle some cheese on them as soon as they come out of the pan and you'll have it.
I'm assuming you mean that horrible yellow powdered stuff that you americans call cheese? ;)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Goofonian said:
Fletcher said:
I'm assuming you mean that horrible yellow powdered stuff that you americans call cheese? ;)
You wound me, sir. And don't even get me started on vegemite.

infernomatic

Jul 12, 2006
I don't know about cheese fries, but some of the best fries I've ever had were the Tiki Fries at Hurricane Riley's in Endicott NY. Loaded w/ onion, ham? (or bacon?), some other things and (I think) 1,000 Island dressing?. It's been awhile, and I've only had the opportunity once. Excellente.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
You know, I'm not a big cheese fries fan. I don't put anything on fries. I'm kind of a fries purist.

Jaunty

Jul 28, 2006
Do poutines count? Because they do have cheese on them. Cheese curds, anyways. And if they do then it's at a ski lodge in Camp Fortune.

GunShy

Jul 27, 2006
Best cheese fries are at a diner/bar in Olympia, WA named the Reef. Open 24 hours a day too, can't beat cheese fries and coffee at 3am.

N. Evan Van Zelfden

Jul 11, 2006
I've got to side with the fries purist, here. There's a chain in Austin called Short Stop. They always make them fresh, in these little white paper bags, always covered in salt, and the best flavor I've known.

Araman

Nov 12, 2002
Hot Bites. It's a tiny shop in Alnwick (pronounced ANN-ICK for those of you don't speak the Geordie dialect), in the Northumberland region, UK. Yes, they actually call them cheese fries and not "cheese chips" as you might suspect. Try 'em with a little vinegar, you won't be disappointed.

This little place proves the existance of good, artery clogging food in the UK and makes for the pefect end to a night of local pub crawling.

Sokaku

Aug 24, 2003
All of the world need to learn what a Poutine is (and actually taste one) and then they won't want to move back to some plain old regular cheese fries. :)

DrRosenRosen

Aug 15, 2006
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I can't resist plugging my personal summer favorite! Best cheese fries I've ever eaten can be found in an amusement park called Kennywood located outside Pittsburgh, PA in a food booth called The Potato Patch. So sad when I moved away.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
You're from Pittsburgh, Doc? I grew up there. I must have been to Kennywood a dozen times. Go Thunderbolt!