Best commercial I've ever seen

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
First thing, watch it!

Now let's talk about it.
This video blows me away, it delivers in one minute and thirty seconds a stronger emotional message then most of the two hour movies I've seen lately. It manages to take a known situation and wrap it in a new visual and story. It is as precise and efficent a piece of video art as I have ever seen and by the way, it might also save your life.

I'm a designer and watching this video inspires me. The creator of this commerical was a given a brief ( a request for a product by a client ) for a product we've all seen a thousand times. He could have made another lazy, stupid, inefficent shock ad, where we see some crying kids and blood on the highway; He didn't.

This creator deals in this little ad with so many factors it's amazing. The fact that the man looks away from the road to his family while driving will strike familiar to any driver with a family. It's a mistake we make all the time, mostly with no reprecussions, sometimes with a little scare, but at other times with major implications. Already this ad has establisihed a connection to the real world and to a driving mistakes most people make and are aware of. The first emotional block of - "That accident will never happen to me" Is elegantly side stepped with refrecne to a familiar situation many people have been in.

The looks of fright on the little girls face is a master stroke, many of us are cavalier about our own lives in ways we will never be with the life of another. Bolstered on by a reckless sense of invincibility, nowhere is this as easily punctuared as by the simple question "But what about your familiy?". Implanting the knowledge that your mistake could have implications beyond your own safety and impacting on your loved ones is a powerfull reminder of the reality of our lives and thier fragility.

The hug - Now this is simply pure genius graphic design. Taking the seat belt and transforming it into the warm hug of your child and wife, is genius. It reassociates what can be an hinderance and annoyance with the warmest feeling imaginable to a family man. I can not say this enough, it is pure genius. The ability to take something we know so well, and is such an overlooked part of our lives like the seat-belt and giving it a new, favorable, prespective is the highest form of graphic design. To do it for a good cause is the highest form of design virtue, creating a better world through the design.

I can go on and on about the graphical elements, the music, the pacing, the excellent typography at the end, but I think you get the picture.

Two more things.First, this video makes me want to be a better designer. To create, to communicate, to touch peoples hearts like this video touched mine. To take an obvious task and create the most amazing result. To blow people away, To maybe save thier lives.

Second. Embrace life, wear a seatbelt.

EDIT:
I would like to hear what people who see this who have no wife and kids think about it as opposed to people who are married. So please add in your replies if you are married or not. Thank you.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
I like that - that is a damn good advert.

The hug is a little cheesey but still amazing.

asiepshtain said:
To take an obvious task and create the most amazing result.
Yeah, most people don't even think about seatbelts, whether they wear them or not (although anyone who doesn't is an idiot) - this actually will make me more likely to remember. Although I always wear one anyway.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
That is a truly elegant piece of television history. I would not call it a commercial just because it move beyond that threshold. It transcends the usual commercials that I've seen, the ones that I just don't pay attention to, because they are generic and predictable. If more commercials were like this one, perhaps I wouldn't feel bothered by their presence as much as I do now. Thanks for sharing!

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
That's the greatest game of charades I've ever seen.
thought it was a "family game night" type thing for the first half of the commercial.
good job though.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
It's alright. I remember seeing it in one of my Driver's ed classes.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Guy32 said:
It's alright. I remember seeing it in one of my Driver's ed classes.
Hmm, intresting.

Driver education implies to me that you are in high school, am I right?

I would not have shown this specificly to someone in school as it is obviously aimed at people with a familiy.
I would like to hear what people who see this who have no wife and kids think about it as opposed to people who are married.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Coming into this, I thought it would be another funny video that would make me chuckle for a few minutes before forgetting it. Having seen it, it's the most absolutely brilliant piece of public service ever created for television. holy crap.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Wow. I don't think I'll ever see another commercial that epic in my entire life!
If that doesn't get the point across about wearing your seat belt, then I don't think anything can.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
That was a damn fine advert. I would be happy to watch the ads if they were all like that. What country is it from btw? I am wondering because the road saftey adverts in the UK use a more Shock and fear approach to remind you to wear your seatbelt.
As seen here -

Don't even get me on the speeding and drinking adverts.. they are horrifying...

EDIT: I also forgot the most horrifying one, i shat bricks when i seen this:

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
This add is so much better than the ones we have for seatbelts here. Such a beautiful piece of video I love the point it brings across

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
asiepshtain said:
*snip* God, that commercial is beautiful!(This is the first time I said that, in my entire life)
OT: I remember seeing some good commercials a while back, but can't actually recall about what they were(I'm a little sleepy at the moment, so pardon my memory)

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
o_O

Amazing, truly amazing. This has brightened up my day, despite the underlying concept being a grim truth.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
What the hell?!
The one with the little girl is disgusting and the other one is incomprehensible. What utter rubbish.
They aren't horrifying, they feel stupid and vulgar and...ah screw it. Just another lazy, stupid, inefficent shock ad.

Suprisingly enough the Embrace Life one is also from the UK. Sponsored by: http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/
Someone in sussex is a very good client and that is a large complement.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
That was a damn fine advert. I would be happy to watch the ads if they were all like that. What country is it from btw? I am wondering because the road saftey adverts in the UK use a more Shock and fear approach to remind you to wear your seatbelt.
As seen here -

EDIT: I also forgot the most horrifying one, i shat bricks when i seen this:
That was fucking amasing. Kudos to whoever made it.

And, I feel bad, but that last one reminded me of this...

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net[/URL

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Aside from the creepy ass look the man gives at the start yeah its an effective ad

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
My good man, both you and the person who created this ad deserve a medal.

There is nothing I can say that will add to your post, but I just wanted to thank you, and say that I am a 14 year old boy, and that had an effect on me.

Not that I didn't wear a seatbelt before, but still.