Best Console to compliment a PC Gamer?

MetalShadowChaos

Feb 3, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
MetalShadowChaos said:
and you could get a WiiU and every accessory available for it on the markey for less than the default price of an Xbox one or PS4.
Every accesory? Because that seems like stretch. The pro controller alone is 50 bucks.

Or do you just mean every necessary (for backwards compatability) controller?

My WiiU Pro Bundle with Monster Hunter TriG was 200 quid on launch and came with a pro controller.

A single third party gamecube controller adaptor for one controller comes in at aound 15 quid, with a hceap GC controller itself going for 8.

A Wii Remote plus goes for a Fiver, a nunchuck for 3 quid.

Wii Fit plus with a Balance board, 30 quid.

That's all the supported stuff, comes down to £255. (400 dollar for Americans.)

An Xbox One goes for £330($518), PS4 £310($407).

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Didn't include upgraded versions on other consoles or PC (fair game if on same holder). Games yet to come out, or games yet to come out in the west. Additionally this is going by you having just a PC.

PS4

Driveclub
Infamous First Light
Infamous Second Son
Killzone Shadow Fall
King Oddball
Knack
Resogun
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
CounterSpy (is on phones but worth including)
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Doki-Doki Universe
Entwined
Escape Plan
flOw
Flower
Guilty Gear Xrd (comes out in 6 days so whatever I'll add it)
MLB 14: The Show
Pix the Cat
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Samurai Warriors 4
Sound Shapes
The Last of Us Remastered

Xbox One

Crimson Dragon
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Fighter Within
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Classic
Killer Instinct Classic 2
Kinect Sports Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Shape Up
Sunset Overdrive
Xbox Fitness
Zoo Tycoon

Nintendo Wii U

99Seconds
Abyss
Alphadia Genesis (on phones too from looks of it)
Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade
Armillo
Arrow Time U
Art of Balance
Ava and Avior Save the Earth
Bayonetta 2
Blok Drop U
BrickBlast U!
Cake Ninja 3: The Legend Continues
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Chasing Aurora
Coaster Crazy Deluxe
Cocoto Magic Circus 2
Color Zen (phone)
Color Zen Kids (phone)
Darts Up
Dolphin Up (phone)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Dr. Luigi
ESPN Sports Connection
Evofish (phone)
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
Fit Music
Flapp & Zegeta
Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure
Hello Kitty Kruisers
Hyrule Warriors
I've Got to Run!
Jett Tailfin
Lego City Undercover
Lucadian Chronicles
Luv me Buddies Wonderland
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart 8
Meine Ersten Mitsing-Lieder
Midtown Crazy Race (phone)
Mighty Switch Force!: Hyper Drive Edition
Mighty Switch Force! 2
Monkey Pirates
Mon Premier Karaoké
Monster High: 13 Wishes
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
My Exotic Farm
My Farm
My First Songs
My Jurassic Farm
My Style Studio: Hair Salon
NES/Famicom Remix
NES/Famicom Remix 2
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Penguins of Madagascar
Percy's Predicament
Pikmin 3
Pixel Paint
Pokémon Rumble U
Poker Dice Solitaire Future
Psyscrolr
Pushmo World
Rush (couldn't find any info if it was on anything else)
Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
Shut the Box
Sing Party
Snake Den
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Lost World
Soon Shine (phone)
Spikey Walls
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party
Sportsball
Spot the Differences: Party!
Stealth Inc. 2
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tengami (phone)
The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Letter
The Wonderful 101
Transformers: Prime ? The Game
Turtle Tale
Twisted Fusion
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Xavier
XType Plus
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZaciSa's Last Stand
ZombiU

Conclusion: All seem to have a good amount of exclusives planned for 2015 so I'd say all are worth it. On current games available its likely Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft.

Oh and no the list above is by no means perfect. Mistakes can be made.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
The WiiU without question.

It's the only console that can potentially offer a unique gaming experience to PC users both because of the controller and because of the abundance of Nintendo exclusive software.

PS4 & Xbox One's essentially try to emulate a PC's capabilities while have a few exclusives of their own.

That said...if you have a exclusive gaming preference than just go with that console.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
Any console that will fully support keyboard and mouse input. That's about it.

(Aw yeah, Dreamcast, WOO!)

already in use

Nov 29, 2011
The WiiU of course.
PS4 and Xbox1 are single player and online multiplayer focused,
which a pc can just do better.
The WiiU is cheap, has some great party games and of course some single player
games people actually care about. Some random new sponsored shooter IP that is pushed with
millions in marketing is not gonna make me buy what is basicly another pc.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Whichever one has the most exclusives or multiplats not on PC, like FFXV or KH3, that you like.

Price isn't really an issue, even though Wii U is $100 cheaper, because Nintendo keeps their games at full price for years and years [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-nintendo-wii/dp/B002I0K3CK], so the price difference is made up for by the other two having cheaper games, unless you like buying games early. If you really value online play, you might find it cheaper to go with Wii U unless you really like the free games you get from the online subscriptions.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
lax4life said:
I would probably have to say the PS2, mainly because it has a fantastic library of games.
And they all work on modern PCs using an emulator.

I'd say the Wii U. Then a couple of years later the PS4. Wii U is cheaper and it's got exclusives that will never come to any other system. And it's backwards compatible with almost all the Wii games.

Gustavos

Jul 19, 2009
As far as I've experienced and researched, going PC and Wii U seems to be the way to go if you log a lot of time into your games every week this generation. Sure, the Wii U lacks multi-plats - even the ones that were ported down to the PS3 and 360! - but do you really want a scaled down port of a game meant for the PC and it's PC architecture consoles, the PS4 and Xbox One? If what you want is the broadest range of relevant games of different genres, the Wii U delivers. I'd even be so bold to say it may have "the other half" of games worth their purchase. But just like how you can live without Shadow of Mordor or Far Cry 4, you can live without Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze just as easily. One more thing, like the PC, the Wii U does not require a yearly 60 dollars to play your games online, so that's cool.

As far as the Xbox One as a compliment console, a lot of its exclusives are timed thus far. PS4 has a bit more in this department, but a crippling issue is that it doesn't support external hardrives. Once you've bought an eighth or tenth game to play, you're full up and need to start deleting installed game data to play a new one, because the consoles are designed to only play off the data in the hardrive, not the disc itself. The other consoles support external hardrives just fine, so in a decade or so when the PS4's PSN gets shutdown, your console becomes useless except for the few games you have stored on your system.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
Point of clarification about Wii U controllers:

Required for Wii U:
Wii U Gamepad (single player)
Wiimotes (multiplayer) (plus a Nunchuck or two?).

The Wii U Pro Controller is unnecessary as it is identical in function to the Wii U Gamepad (sans touchscreen). It will also not work with anything through the BC Wii (BC Wii = Backwards Compatible Wii - the one in the Wii U). Only get it if you really can't stand using the Gamepad and nothing else works for you. It's a solid controller though, and the battery life is truly insane (80hrs a charge...).

Required for BC Wii:
Wiimote (you can't even access the Wii mode without one - as far as I know, both the original and Wii-motion+ work with both the Wii U and BC Wii, but you need Wii-motion+ for a few notable Wii games)
Nunchuck - for a decent number of games
Wii Classic Controller/Wii Classic Controller Pro (required for SNES and N64 VC titles) - must connect to a Wiimote

Because the classic controllers do not have clickable analog sticks (L3 and R3), they can not completely replace the Wii U Gamepad, although most first party titles can use them (MK8, Smash, Mario 3D World). I've only found this to be an issue with last gen 3rd party ports as those games often already used L3 and R3 along with all of the other buttons and the classic controllers just don't have enough buttons. (The list of games, both Wii and Wii U that are compatible with the classic controllers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_use_the_Classic_Controller)

Similarly, neither the Wii U Gamepad nor the Wii U Pro Controller work with BC Wii games. The Wii U Gamepad will display the image and volume, but nothing else and requires a Wiimote to use at all. Many games require a Nunchuck (Zelda, 3D Mario, etc) although some don't (NSMB, DKCR). NES VC only require a Wiimote. SNES and N64 VC require a classic controller (although GC controllers worked through the original Wii, as far as I know, the new adapter for the Wii U does not enable GC use on the BC Wii... or any other game except Smash Wii U).

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
And then together with this accessory necessity hoopla compounding onto itself, I'm just like 'Ah forget it.'
You don't need any accessories to play any games on the Wii U. The gamepad will play all the games I have bought disc wise and on the Wii U eshop. If you're referring to the Wii and its vitrual console stuff, then sure, you may need a remote, nun chuck and a classic controller. But that's it.

I played through Wind Waker with just the gamepad, and it played fine, so if that's the main game you want to get, then get it :)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I just got a Wii U this week, and I'm finding it to compliment my PC gaming quite well. I don't even need to swap my TV inputs because I can play right on the Pad.

I also enjoy my Android Nexus 7 tablet, because there's things I can do with it that I can't on my PC.

C14N

May 28, 2008
It's the Wii U. The other two can't hold a candle right now when it comes to consoles for PC gamers. The Wii U is cheaper, has far more high-quality exclusive games and it's heavily focused on local multiplayer which is the one area where PC lags. The internal storage is small but USB hard drives are so preposterously cheap these days that that's a non-issue, especially for someone who is already a PC gamer.

As a PC gamer who had all 3 consoles last gen, I finally bought a Wii U when Smash Bros came out and it's a very nice system. Looking forward to playing some multiplayer games over the Christmas holidays. I may pick up one of the others down the line but it would be a pretty arrogant waste of money right now.

Regarding backward compatibility, yes you will need a Wii Remote to play Wii games but they're still selling these in shops and they work as multiplayer controllers in many Wii U games, which means that if you did have a Wii you can keep your controllers for multiplayer instead of starting from scratch like both other systems. Also, while some here seem to be portraying buying a Wii remote and nunchuck as some kind of big inconvenience for backward compatibility, just remember that neither the XBO or PS4 offer any backward compatibility whatsoever and never will.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
The only current generation consoles that I own presently are the 3DS and Vita, and to be honest I don't see that changing for some time. They more or less only have games you can't find on PC,and have pretty decent libraries besides. There's next to nothing on any current gen console that justifies their price for me right now. That said, between Bloodborne, Persona 5 and FFXV I may find myself buying a PS4 sometime in the coming year. As for the Wii U - I'm sure it's a great console, but outside of pokemon there aren't any Nintendo franchisees I care about.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
I played through Wind Waker with just the gamepad, and it played fine, so if that's the main game you want to get, then get it :)
Goddammit, don't tempt me like that! I already spent way too much money this month.

Aug 12, 2013
Shaun Kennedy said:
So let's hopefully avoid the PC vs. Console thing for a moment, and consider that many PC Gamers also enjoy consoles as well as many own both Gaming PCs and Consoles.

So the question is simple: If you own a gaming PC what console is the best to compliment your games?

I'm sure the answer isn't as simple for everyone.

For me it's surprisingly the Wii U, at least right now. Looking purely at the game library there are very few exclusives for XBOX ONE or PS4 that aren't available to a PC Gaming audience as well, and with the x84 architecture of their processors, there's far less reason for any game publishers to make anything exclusive for these systems without receiving a bonus from Sony or Microsoft for exclusivity rights.

The Wii U however not only has the most exclusives of any modern Console at the moment, it's also got backwards compatibility and the virtual store that significantly increases it's library. It's custom CPU significantly hampers the ease of cross-platform design for Wii U titles to some degree (which may explain in part it's rocky start).

For someone like me however who prefers playing games on a PC whenever possible, The Wii U is the clear winner for the sole sake of it's exclusives library. I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on which system best compliments PC Gaming?
I would say Xbox 360. Because IMHO the Xbox 360 gamepad is the greatest gamepad ever made and the Playstation Duelshock 3 is a very close second.
If I can use the Xbox 360 or PS3 Duelshock 3 style gamepad (or one close to it) on some PC Games I wanted to play (now if the games I wanted to play allowed me to use a gamepad) I might play more PC Games. I can't play games with a keyboard and mouse I lack the physical skills to use both. I don't have any fun playing with a keyboard and a mouse. While I can play point-and-click mouse only games it hurts my wrists too much now of days to that for long period of times.
So give me an Xbox 360 or PS Duelshock style gamepad and games that are compatible with gamepads and I might be more inclined to play PC games again and I would have to get a major upgrade on my PC or a new PC.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Definitaly the WiiU, pretty much everything on the xbox one and the ps4 are also on the pc. But, nothing that Nintendo makes shows up on the pc, its rare that games even like the ones nintendo makes appear, get a wiiU.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Cyberstrike said:
I would say Xbox 360. Because IMHO the Xbox 360 gamepad is the greatest gamepad ever made and the Playstation Duelshock 3 is a very close second.
If I can use the Xbox 360 or PS3 Duelshock 3 style gamepad (or one close to it) on some PC Games I wanted to play (now if the games I wanted to play allowed me to use a gamepad) I might play more PC Games. I can't play games with a keyboard and mouse I lack the physical skills to use both. I don't have any fun playing with a keyboard and a mouse. While I can play point-and-click mouse only games it hurts my wrists too much now of days to that for long period of times.
So give me an Xbox 360 or PS Duelshock style gamepad and games that are compatible with gamepads and I might be more inclined to play PC games again and I would have to get a major upgrade on my PC or a new PC.
Most newer AAA titles released on PC now are controller supported. XBOX 360 controllers will work on any PC running Windows, just plug and play. You can also get a PS3 controller to work pretty easily by running a controller emulator like Better DS3 Tool and emulating it as a 360 Controller.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Out of the 3 consoles, the Wii U is probably the only one worth getting right now. Nintendo are really knocking it out of the park with 3 great releases in the last few months in the form of Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. The Xbox One or PS4 really cant top that yet. The Xbox will have Halo, and the PS4 will have Uncharted, but right now, if there is a game on them that is worth a damn, you can just spend a good £200 less and get it on their last gen counterparts. If you want a current gen console, get a Wii U, but if you want a very big library of games that aren't on the PC, get a 360, PS3 or even a PS2.

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
Hey man, you may never read this but there are 2 real answers. The first, and most likely if you are young, would be a gamecube. It already has an amazing library that has been widely analyzed so you can really research which great game is right for you. The controller is also an amazing plus. It is awful in function but it is a major cultural item in my opinion; I even know a musician Robert Delong that uses a gamecube controller in his music.

The second answer, and most likely if you are older, would by the mythic Dreamcast. You will read a lot of things about why it failed. The truth is, was that it was so new and groundbreaking, that it cost developers a crap ton of money to make games for the system. So when other systems came out to compete, they just stopped making games for them since they could do a similar job for a fraction of the cost with someone else. I'm not letting the company off the hook, but developers killed Dreamcast. If you really want to appreciate it this was 1998 http://youtu.be/s3dZiHlVw0M you will apreciate that if you've played madden.

I'm old so for me it's gamecube. here's some cool stuff

powerstone will literally make you hate smashbros
http://youtu.be/BbOeL4kRKZw

crazy taxi was a one of the first cultural phenomenon that effected non-gamers... it's beyond great
http://youtu.be/w1drRBR0Mt4?t=1m22s

im not a fighting game guy but i played the heck out of this... prolly cuz it was the first series that had body physics... you'll know when you see it
http://youtu.be/OaTT_r0Gmqs?t=1m40s

dude summarizes a lot on failings of dreamcast where i started vid, but this was GREAT
http://youtu.be/Jz36YLnp12E?t=1m32s

this is literally the best boxing game ever.... there will never be another like it
http://youtu.be/NrNrDRg_Fwc

hope this helps man.... these are all based purely on the fact that they arent available on any other devive, and the games are normally types that you cant find a good equivalent to on pc