Best Cut Scenes in a game

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Mass Effect 2's opening scenes completely blew me away. Both thematically with something of a WTF? moment, but also just cinematically as the scene finishes with the distant star cresting over the edge of the planet and
the remains of the Normandy spinning away

I know there seems to be a bit of ME2 hate out there in gamer forum land, but really, Bioware knows cutscenes.

PsionicAtlas

Apr 7, 2010
The Darkness, in the orphanage with Jenny. I don't know how to do spoilers(and I'm too lazy) so I'll post the youtube link, but DO NOT WATCH IT unless you've played the game. Hell this cutscene was the main reason I wanted to finish the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JUNA-kapnY

A cinematic masterpiece, and shows that comics can make good games :)

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Bayonetta has damn good cut scenes, occasionally they have action, but most of the time it's good dialogue.

Final Fantasy VIII are very good, also given the PS1 era graphics.

Final Fantasy X again very good, they tell a great story.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
poiumty said:
FoAmY99 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Overall, I don't think I could decide what game had the best cutscenes. I can only pick favorites.

And I don't think I have any favorite more than this.
I disagree good sir. This was the best cutscene
Well i disagree with YOU, drow's scene is the best. Seriously, killing things with a motorcycle as a weapon trumps anything... anywhere.

As for most touching cinematic:
second half. Nothing better yet.

Runners-up:
Soul Reaver intro
Warcraft 3 Arthas's return
Frozen Throne ending scene
some other stuff i don't remember
If i may refute the gentleman, have you forgotten DMC 3's first cutscene? I think killing bad guys with with their own blades that are still lodged in your arms and chest is more epic than death by motorcycle flail.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Any of the Dawn of War or Starcraft ones, they both have amazing cutscenes.

Blargman214

Dec 18, 2010
I agree that scene was awful, it was very awkward. For the rest of the game i felt like the voice acting and animation was just great. But the CG scenes were also great for the time as well.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Starcraft - Battle on the amerigo (iirc, its the science vessel being nuked by a bunch of marines.. also, beer!)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Mafia - the entire final cutscene, from when you kill *spoiler* to the end credits.

Mafia 2 - someone is shanked to death, I felt a little sick, excellent scene

The Sands of Time - The cutscene (both the CG and in-game one) that leads up to the master-rewind

Mass Effect 2's opening as well. Just, FUCK. So amazing to watch, especially when you're controlling Shepard and walk into the exposed part of the ship.

andeve3

Jul 14, 2010
The only reason i kept playing Snake Eater was the brilliant cinematography, i cold never wait to see what would happen next.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
You are all wrong I'm afraid.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark forces 2 had the best cutscenes ever. They had real actors spliced into the game and it was absolutely awesome. At the time it was the closest thing you were gonna get to a new Star Wars movie.

Runner up: Metal Gear series.

Au Naturel.

Apr 4, 2010

Serious modo.

Everything Hideki Kamiya touches turns to platinum. He always has amazing cutscenes in his games, such Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. Seriously, he rocks!

Timesplitters : Future Perfect has good cutscenes as well. Funny and ... funny.

And how could I not mention Metal Gear Solid. The game has so many of them, and they are all very good!

That part was terrifying.