Best Depictions of Hell

photog212

Oct 27, 2008
I think the best depiction is Dante's Inferno. The torture, the violence, the punishment, and the innermost circle is freezing. Plus I think its one of the most widely known versions and several people are even convinced its based on scripture and not just some pissed off Italian guy getting back at people he hated.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
I had my tonsils out, and my ear tubes put in once. I was put under for the first time at around 10. I had a nightmare that I was surrounded by a dark red taffy-like bubble, with faces screaming in it. The bubble kept contracting and retracting, and grabbing me. It would hold my feet and make it hard to move or pull away. It was horrifying and I couldn't wake up. I finally passed out from sheer terror...thank God. But that is hell for me. I can still smell that fake oxygen they give you just before you go under.

Going under the knife is my one fear because of this.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Oh please, as if there's even a competition here. It's obviously Earthworm Jim's "What The Heck?" level.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Though it focused more on heaven, What Dreams May Come had a neat depiction of hell/purgatory from what I can remember.

Also if Jacob's ladder counts, its credited for some inspiration for silent hill, and it's credited for me realizing at a young age that you can be too young to watch certain movies.
yeah, it's debatable weather or not this is actually hell, but whatever.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Diligent said:
Though it focused more on heaven, What Dreams May Come had a neat depiction of hell/purgatory from what I can remember.
Great movie. Nice choice. Best interpretation of heaven that I can think of anyways.

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
Diligent said:

Also if Jacob's ladder counts, its credited for some inspiration for silent hill, and it's credited for me realizing at a young age that you can be too young to watch certain movies.
yeah, it's debatable weather or not this is actually hell, but whatever.
Those are two of my favorite movies!

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Funkysandwich said:
Ever been to Frankston?

Other Australians will know what I'm talking about.
Oh my god! So many mullets and skinny jeans! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Diligent said:
That's where I was headed response-wise, too. It started out in Heaven but as the descent into Hell progressed and things got more hideous and bleak I thought it was just the most visually amazing depiction of what Hell could possibly be (and I enjoyed the depictions of Heaven, the oil-painting world, the library. Just beautiful.)

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
My version of hell, full of fire with mutant fish the size of dinosaurs swimming around in lava and they eat you yoshi-style. Also, you're strapped to a chair and forced to listen to the Jonas Brothers 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the rest of eternity, switching between that and Hanna Montana every once in a while. There's a lot of other things but too hard to explain everything, I'd be here all night.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
The Darkness had sort of a "hell" level (not really hell, more like souls trapped in the mind of The Darkness). It was like a neverending World War I where the soldiers would keep fighting in the trenches against an endless army of zombie Germans, and if they died they would just come back to life again.

But my favourite depiction of hell has got to be the final level of Painkiller:
EDIT: fixed youtube link