Best Film/Series You Watched...That Nobody Else Did.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Title. What are your favorite movies/series that elicit a '...zuh?' from friends when you mention them?

For me:
Judgement At Nuremberg. Everyone knows Inherit the Wind but this one was actually better. Same director, similar cast, absolutely amazing trial movie.

In Bruges. If you are a fan of older Guy Richie stuff, you need to check this one out. Insanely good British crime comedy drama.

The Shield. Okay, not exactly one that nobody watched, but it amazes me how many people go on about Breaking Bad and the Wire without giving this a watch. It looks like a regular Cop Show on the surface, but underneath it's something else entirely.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'm far from the only one but Australian stuff like stuff from a lot of other countries doesn't have *quite* the amount of reach...at least in most internet spaces

unfortunately didn't get even a limited release in theatres in the US (or the festival circuit? not sure how these things work) so it was exempt from any awards

[b/]Mary and Max[/b]

Australian stop motion animated film (from the people who did the Oscar winning short Harvi Krumpet) about a young Australian girls Pen Pal relationship with a 40 something obese jewish man with aspergers from new York...in the 70's. Both hilarious and sad...also has Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it who gave a great performance

EDIT: because something is "foregn" doesn't nessicaryly makes it obscure...its just not known in the US

for example I doubt many would be familiar with the crime show "a touch of frost" but if youre British/Australian you probably are

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Living in Obvilion

Guy tries to make a movie with shit going wrong left right and centre. Starring Steve Buscemi (with long hair no less) and Cathrine Keener. It was also one of the first times I saw Peter Dinklage in a movie, giving one of the best angry dwarf rants.

Swimming with Sharks

Guy (that's actually his name) fresh out of film school goes to work as an assistant for major movie producer Buddy Ackerman, and becomes entangled in a mentally abusive job that he sticks with for the sake of making it in Hollywood. Starring Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Golgo 13.

[small]Check out this smooth mofo.[/small]

I've been reading manga for at least fourteen years. Never once have I heard any manga fan talk about this series. Even though it's both a great series and the longest-running manga that's still being made.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH0Wms5-oNg

Definitely only for a certain taste, but a great take-piss of some of the British dramas of the 80's.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Mine would be Babylon 5, although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now. Its production values were terrible for its day, and time hasn't helped.

Only one person I know has even heard of it, and he hates it

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: An Australian set 1920s/1930s ripping yarn style drama. Fun and eminently watchable

Vegas: Based on the true story of the early 60 sheriff of Las Vegas. Great cast, cancelled after one series

Justified: Set in present day Harlan, Kentucky, is the story of modern day US Marshall. Has the best fast talking villain on tv

Starbird said:
In Bruges. If you are a fan of older Guy Richie stuff, you need to check this one out. Insanely good British crime comedy drama.

Not only have I seen In Bruges, I have seen In Bruges, in Bruges. The same writer/director did the 7 psychopaths, again with Colin Farrell. If you haven't seen it, give it a go.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
I saw 7 psychopaths and it was...interesting. Well worth a watch but I was never sure if it was a deep movie trying to seem shallow or a silly movie trying to seem deep.

The ending is one for the ages though. Man that was well written.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Starbird said:
Judgement At Nuremberg. Everyone knows Inherit the Wind but this one was actually better. Same director, similar cast, absolutely amazing trial movie.
Never heard of inherit the wind, but I loved judgement at Nuremberg. It's got pre-star trek William Shatner in it. It's great.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Starbird said:
Excellent film, worth it for Ralph Fiennes calling his wife an "inanimate f@cking object!"

Danbo Jambo said:

Definitely only for a certain taste, but a great take-piss of some of the British dramas of the 80's.
"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable." Love it!

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
necromanzer52 said:
Starbird said:
Never heard of inherit the wind, but I loved judgement at Nuremberg. It's got pre-star trek William Shatner in it. It's great.
Amazing :D. You've seen Judgement but never heard of Inherit The Wind? Go and watch it right bloody now!

Man, two amazing movies. Pretty much textbook 'they just don't make them like this anymore'. The kind of film that people watch and then spend the next several hours at a burger joint talking over.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The Canadian series "Wonderfalls" come my mind.

The synopis is somewhat similar to My name is Earl in that a person is compell to do good to others from a higher power. In Wonderfall cased, it was a deform wax lion figure and any other inanimate animal items the main character come across.

Also the main hookto me is that I prefer the main character over Earl since I find her more relatable. She was an underachiver compared to each of her family member, she also worked in a dead end job at a gift shop and she had an apathy like personality.

Sadly they only made 6 episodes and the idea for season 2 sound promising (she would of gotten a perfect wax lion figure who told her to do bad things instead of good from the deform version).

small

Aug 5, 2014
albino boo said:
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: An Australian set 1920s/1930s ripping yarn style drama. Fun and eminently watchable
i whole heartedly agree with this. i detest murder mystery shows but i love this one, shes like a 1920's lara croft/sherlock holmes thats stylish as well :)

movie called "hard candy" would be my contribution, amazing film with ellen page and one of her best roles in my opinion, she plays a teen hunting online sexual predators

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Starbird said:
necromanzer52 said:
Starbird said:
Amazing :D. You've seen Judgement but never heard of Inherit The Wind? Go and watch it right bloody now!

Man, two amazing movies. Pretty much textbook 'they just don't make them like this anymore'. The kind of film that people watch and then spend the next several hours at a burger joint talking over.
Well, I'm supposed to be paying attention to lectures right bloody now, but I'll check it out when I get home later.

On the subject of 'they just don't make them like this anymore' movies, I adore old fashioned screwball comedies. The kind of thing that normally starred Cary Grant or anything the Marx brothers did. Modern day comedies just aren't the same. Yet, I don't know anybody my age who's into those kinds of films.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
necromanzer52 said:
On the subject of 'they just don't make them like this anymore' movies, I adore old fashioned screwball comedies. The kind of thing that normally starred Cary Grant or anything the Marx brothers did. Modern day comedies just aren't the same. Yet, I don't know anybody my age who's into those kinds of films.

I watch those kind of films but I am 20 years older than you. My favorite Cary Grant movies are Mr Blandings dream house and I was a male war bride. They really don't make them like that anymore, the Coen brothers tired with Intolerable Cruelty and the Hudsucker proxy but it didn't quite work.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
necromanzer52 said:
Starbird said:
necromanzer52 said:
Starbird said:

Well, I'm supposed to be paying attention to lectures right bloody now, but I'll check it out when I get home later.

Enjoy! It's a brilliant movie.

Man I wished they invented a selective amnesia pill so I could forget awesome movies/series and rewatch them again for the first time.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
putowtin said:
Danbo Jambo said:

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable." Love it!
Lol, yep! It's got that superbly tacky, over-serious vibe throughout and it's just brilliant :)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
necromanzer52 said:
Yeah, there did seem to be a certain something (class? elegance? art?) to older comedies we don't see anymore, but OTOH, maybe that's because the worse ones have been forgotten.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer

awesome political satire, and Peter Cooke 'nuff said