Best flying game?

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
What are some games that re-create the sensation of flying (as in dreams, not as in air planes) pretty well? I can think of a few that try...

Cloud
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Duke Nukem 3D (jet pack)

..but I've yet to play any that actually make me feel like how I feel when I'm flying in a dream. The speed, control, freedom, and overall 'feel' just isn't there..Cloud comes close, but still not there.

So, are there any games you guys have played that do a better job?

Fozziedave

Nov 14, 2007
Pilotwings 64, particularly with the birdman suit, zooming over the map felt wonderfully free. Plus it's a fun game where the point is flying unlike most that you've mentioned, but I think it could be what you're looking for.

blackfly01

Dec 5, 2007
Well to be honest propellar driven planes in flight simulators and similar SHMUPs helped me get into the flying mood, either it be Crimson Skies, Heroes of the Pacific, Wing Arms, Strikers 1945 I & II (though not so much), Empire of Steel... there's something about propellar based aircraft I prefer over jets that gives me a good flying sensation (unless we're talking space-jets, but that's a different category).

But that just answers your secondary question. As to which is the best, I'm afraid I'm not sure. A part of me wants to say Empire of Steel because I love that game to death, but for flight sims I can't say for sure.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
For a time Magic Carpet ruled the world in this aspect, looking back now I think it'll just seem like a horrible mess of pixels. I also played it with those vr-goggle thingies on my head, that was wild, in my memory at least. Makes me wonder if I could get it to run on my current machine.

If you've never seen it, look it up on YouTube, absolute classic.

rawlight

Sep 11, 2007
Vortigar said:
For a time Magic Carpet ruled the world in this aspect, looking back now I think it'll just seem like a horrible mess of pixels. I also played it with those vr-goggle thingies on my head, that was wild, in my memory at least. Makes me wonder if I could get it to run on my current machine.

If you've never seen it, look it up on YouTube, absolute classic.
You beat me to it. Magic Carpet 2 FTW.

Dec 5, 2007
If you have access to a Saturn, or can find the ISO and an emulator, give NiGHTS into Dreams a shot. It is quite literally a game about flying through the dream world and is probably right up your alley. There's a Wii sequel and a PS2 remake on the way, all of which I highly recommend in this context.

roo18

Oct 8, 2007
I can remember how addicted I was to the PC Flight Simulator. The Microsoft one. It was surprisingly fun, especially with the good ole Joysticks.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
The closest thing i have played to a flying game was StarFox 64. Though limited on some levels, its still a solid shooter to this day. I still remember the lines from it (Do a Barrel Roll!).

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
Turbolence said:
If you have access to a Saturn, or can find the ISO and an emulator, give NiGHTS into Dreams a shot. It is quite literally a game about flying through the dream world and is probably right up your alley. There's a Wii sequel and a PS2 remake on the way, all of which I highly recommend in this context.
Yeah, I've always wanted to play NiGHTS...can't wait for the PS2 remake to come out and finally try it!

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Infinity Combat Prototype. I don't think I've ever seen another game manipulate newtonian physics for space dogfighting. Check it out yourself. Google it.

Nov 15, 2007
I never tried out the flight powers in City of Heroes, but the super jump travel power was loads of fun. It might be worthy trying out if there is a free trial available. You only need to grind to level 14 if I recall correctly.

In my dreams when I fly I usually can't get back down.

Ros Lai

Dec 14, 2007
I'd have to go with an above poster and say Pilotwings 64: Loved that game as a kid (and I still pull it out occasionally). As far as flying of the airplane variety, Ace Combat is the best, hands down.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Spider-Man 2. Okay technically, you're not flying, but simply swinging around through the city is the most fun thing about the game (then again the combat is mediocre), especially when your speed is fully upgraded.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
I assume we're talking about games where you fly by yourself, as opposed to in a plane, in 3D? Let's see...

- Mario 64 had the flight cap. It didn't last all that long but it was the first time I really felt like I was flying.

- City of Heroes allows for flight at level 14. It's certainly like flying, but it doesn't feel all that fast, sadly. (This expresses a bigger problem with flying in games like this. Once you get to a certain height, you feel slow no matter how fast you're moving.)

- Superman Returns was a sandbox game where you could fly. The game wasn't any fun, mind you, but you could fly.

- Spiderman 3 (with a download) allows you to play as Harry, complete with flying surfboard. Again, the game isn't any fun, but if all you're looking for is to fly around freeform, this does accomplish that goal.

- Someone else mentioned NIGHTS. Check it out.

That's what I've got off the top of my head.

- J

strayjay

Oct 10, 2007
"fighter ace" is the best aerial combat game ever.

As far as "flying" goes... I'm not sure, really. Ive never played a game that let you do that.

Iori Branford

Jan 4, 2008
For people flying, it's hard to beat ESP Ra.De.

Castle Shikigami 3 (a.k.a. Shikigami no Shiro 3) was fun and may be more to OP's liking, but later levels were designed by some sadistic fucks.

Swenglish

Dec 21, 2007
Banjo Kazooie had some flying moments a lá Super Mario, with great wing-flapping sound-effects. But just as FDave mentioned, PilotWings 64 is maybe the closest to the feeling you're looking for.