Les Awesome

Mar 29, 2010
so my norton protection just ran out and i need protecting
for cheap cos i'm poor.
Whats the best anti virus protecting thingy

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free and I haven't had any problems with it...

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I'm not sure you would really want anti virus protection. I kid because I love.

AVG has a free version that has yet to do me wrong. Then again, that could just be evidence in support of my hypothesis that computer viruses are like the biological kind: be very careful which ports you plug your cat-5 into, and you'll be okay. Protection certainly doesn't hurt, anyway.

megamanenm

Apr 7, 2009
I use the free version of Avast!, the pop-ups asking to upgrade do get anything though. But I've had no issue with it so far...

Nostalgia Ripoff

Sep 2, 2009
I've been using Avast, and it's done me right so far. Although, it is detecting a Trojan here on the Escapist, so I'm not quite sure of its accuracy anymore.

Edit: Specifically, it says that the virus is coming from Gaikai, one of the advertisers here. I don't think that's right, but hey. What do I know?

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I'm using Avast! now. Used to have AVG, but I got tired of the crap asking me to upgrade to their paid version. Avast! runs completely in the background, nothing annoying, no performance lag during scanning, and no viruses so far *knocks on wood*

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
I use Avast!, though I hear plenty good about AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials. Any of those three should do well.

juvemisfit

Neighborhood Psycho
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft Security Essentials. If it breaks, it doesn't do stupid stuff like break and cut off your internet access. My workplace actually recommends it over the AV my Uni provides.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
It appears to me that the vast majority of the Escapist (myself included) prefer Avast!.

There's a reason for that, you know.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Skorpyo said:
It appears to me that the vast majority of the Escapist (myself included) prefer Avast!.

There's a reason for that, you know.
Pretty much this. I've used Avast! for years, nary a complaint. It catches teh viruses and doesn't afraid of anything. (Granted, I don't give it much of a workout since I use Opera and Firefox for web browsing and don't download mysterious files.)

Deadpan Snarker

Jul 30, 2010
I have yet to go wrong with AVG in the 3 years I've been using it. I've heard good things about Avast!, though I've never used it myself.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Avast! and Comodo Firewall (it WILL annoy the crap out of you, though) works well together, in my opinion.
AVG works pretty well too, don't know about MSE, though.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I use the Comodo security suite. Firewall, Antivirus and Active Defence. Works wonders, haven't had anything catch hold for years now. Although the Defence and Firewall are very aggressive and annoying until they know all your trusted stuff.