Best Free Indie Games For PC

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
Today i downloaded a hilarious little indie game called "The Curse of the Chocolate Fountain." It was simple, quirky, and felt original. So my request of you, my fellow Escapists,is this: Could you please let me know about your favorite free indie games or ones that you would recommend?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Minecraft Classic is still alive and kickin', and I like going on there when I want to build my flying island fortress, rather than working for it in Minecraft Survival.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Off the top of my head...

Spelunky
Toribash
Desktop Dungeon
Cave Story
Charles Barkley: Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

One of those :D

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It's hands down Cave Story. Not for everyone, but if you like the whole sidescrolling shooter aspect, you'll love it.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Cave Story is good.

Not playing Iji [http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php] and The Spirit Engine 2 [http://www.frostclick.com/wp/index.php/2010/11/03/the-spirit-engine-2-near-perfect-rpg-game/], however, is practically criminal.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Cave Story, yesyes.

There's also Yume Nikki (and Yume 2kki, dunno about .flow) if you're not planning on sleeping anytime soon.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
The Iconoclasts [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/01/the-iconoclasts-impressions/] is really good. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near complete, and may never be completed.

Mastvlag

Mar 15, 2011
Try Dwarf Fortress. It may take you a while to figure everything out, but it's AWESOME.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
>Dwarf Fortress

>FreeCol

>FreeCiv

>JFK Reloaded

>I'm OK

Yeahs, there's some good stuff out there if you're on a budget. (Or have a shitty machine, like me =/)

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Alien Swarm off of Steam is free.

Probably the most fun I've ever had in a top down shooter. Especially with friends.

But my favorite Indie game (if you can call it Indie) would be Solider Front. Made by some Korean company, it's probably the best FTP FPS game. I've put so many hours into it and enjoyed every minute.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Dwarf Fortress is great, if you've got a lot of patience and time to learn how to not fail at everything.

It's sort of lacking any particularly good tutorial, you more or less learn by losing over and over until you don't anymore.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I just played some of cave story

I have to say its a brilliant example of great gameplay and story design, coming from a current gen addict who doesnt have any nostalgic connection most "old shcool" games

Xooiid

Feb 1, 2011
Cave Story - Obvious, with the PC version still free.

Eversion - Still free from the developer's website. Not for children or those of a nervous disposition, and made DeceasedCrab go insane.

Iji - Daniel Remar's indie game on choice and morality in the face of an alien invasion.

Hero Core - Another Remar game, with very retro graphics, metroidvania levels and robots.

La Mulana - Massive, excellent game about exploring ruins with a ninja Indiana Jones.

Minecraft - Though the full on version costs about 20 bucks, Classic and Browser are still free.

Nifflas' games - Within a Deep Forest and Knytt are free, while his other games are reasonably cheap. Puzzle games with great atmosphere.

Chzo Mythos - Yahtzee's shot at making games, still for free.

Katawa Shoujo - Though Ch.1 is the only available build currently out. Visual Novel about a school for the disabled, with surprisingly good writing and interesting characters. The game itself is safe, though it plans to be a Ren-Ai game [Think Tsukihime].

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've spent more time playing Dwarf Fortress than pretty much every retail game purchase put together in the past year, if not longer. And Dwarf Fortress is a free game being put together as a public beta by a single guy.

Once you get past the shit interface and graphics it's a damned deep and rewarding game, love it!