Best Game Ever Made?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
B-Cell?

Depends on my mood, I dunno. Stardew Valley.

Anyway, didn't The Escapist declare Skyrim the best game ever shortly after it was released?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Super Metroid... or Hollowknight... maybe Hedon... or Undertale... hmm, could be Quake, perhaps, Shadowrun Dragonfall, or maybe Golden Treasure the Great Green...

One of those I'm sure.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You've never heard of the best game ever made: Dungeons of Daggorath.

(Pseudo-)3D gameplay, (semi-)positional audio, character progression (your character gets stronger with every monster you kill), real-time lighting effects- in 1982, on an 8-kilobyte cartridge. (For comparison, that tiny screenshot there is 9.1 kilobytes.)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Way too subjective, but narrowing things down a bit, I'm just going to look at what others have posted, and list what I think the best entry is in the respective franchise, under the proviso that I've played more than one entry in said franchise (unless it's a stand-alone thing like Tetris for instance), and under the proviso that I actually like it (e.g. rules out TF2).

So on that note:

-Metroid Fusion
-Resident Evil 4
-Tetris
-Doom Eternal
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-Grand Theft Auto III

Either I'll add to this post over time, or make new posts.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The best game ever made, is the game that made you love gaming. Its the game who's challenge you overcame and made you feel like the champ. Its the game who's story moved you in ways that at that age you weren't sure you could be moved. Its the game who's characters, visuals and music live in your head as both art and entertainment side by side in harmony. Its the game who's levels and direction are as clear to you as the path through your own house. Its the game you share with friends, with your children in the hopes it sparks that same love.

And that's why its the best game ever made, because without it, you wouldn't be here.

Reactions: AnxietyProne

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I think that a lot of people above have interpreted the question as "What is your favourite game of all time?", which is quite a different question to the one being asked.

At the same time, im not really sure that I can come up with a satisfying answer, either.

If I consult metacritic, it tells me that the best game ever is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but I also have a hard time believing that gaming peaked in 1998, and nothing has surpassed it, since.

I also find it quite funny how - according to metacritic - 4 of the top 20 games of all time are just GTA V and its various ports.

Honestly, If I were to be completely objective, and think of what might be gaming's overall best achievement so far, I think I can sufficiently convince myself that it might actually be The Witcher 3, but im also certain that I can pick enough holes into why that game couldn't possibly be the best game ever.

"I don't know", is the answer.

Fuck it.

Peggle 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The only response I can reasonably ascertain is to play whatever gives you the most joy and fun with minimal frustration, and perhaps even enhances your well-being in some way even if only on a superficial level. The rest of the ranking bs will sort itself out.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Serious answer.

According to science. The best game ever made is Tetris.

Easy to understand.

Easy to play.

Perfect difficulty curve.

And nothing subjective about the game because there is nothing to interpret.

Tetris is the perfect game.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Skyrim SE with 800+ mods, and a good ENB made by Wabbajack for those who have never played Skyrim.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Tetris can get fucked up and not work right depending on who develops it. Ubisoft is one of the most well-known developers that screwed up a version of Tetris.

That might be the case. But im just talking about flat plain old school tetris. Sure when new companies try to fuck with it they will always fuck it up because OG Tetris is perfect and nothing can be made more perfect.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Serious answer.

According to science. The best game ever made is Tetris.

Easy to understand.

Easy to play.

Perfect difficulty curve.

And nothing subjective about the game because there is nothing to interpret.

Tetris is the perfect game.
Except it's only fun to play for about 20 minutes.