Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Paper Boats, From Transistor;

Exile Vilify, From Portal 2;

Maenam, From Braid;

Love is in the Air, From Yoshi's Story;

Sep 13, 2009
There's a lot to choose from (I'm waiting for some Xenoblade Chronicles to find its way into this thread), but for visibility I'll just go with this one:

This is probably one of my favorite soundtracks, and I've been trying unsuccessfully for a while to find a complete piano arrangement for it. Maybe someday...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finished the level and immediately went to the net for a copy

Such an oppressive track yet so empowering for a game you can't even die in
I like to imagine the dull tones are furious with the cheerful ones when they start playing creating a funny image in my head

Best volcano level music I've had the pleasure of listening to

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine you meant OSTs and not licensed music, so I'll stick to that. Also, I'm literally just picking some random stuff which came into my head, so don't blame me.

Stellaris had a surprisingly good soundtrack on release, but it keeps getting better with each expansion. This is currently my favourite track..

Dawn of War 2 was already mentioned, but actually I think (despite being a rather disappointing game by most accounts) Dawn of War 3 actually exceeded it. Orchestral and choral stuff is kind of what you'd expect from a 40k game, and while the DOW3 soundtrack has some excellent examples of that it's the more ambient tracks which really stick out just because they're a bit different.

This one was used in the trailer and takes me back to a time when I was genuinely excited because for a second it almost seemed like they might be doing something atmospherically or tonally new with 40k (a setting I used to love but became extremely bored of). Sadly, it turned out that is strictly not allowed.

So, I feel I need a nostalgia pick, so I'm going to go for the Morrowind theme. In a series where each game has a signature title theme, I think this one is by far the best, not because it's an amazing track but because it immediately primes you for what to expect from the game itself without needing a single visual image. It's so whimsical it makes me want to puke, but in a good way.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You guys have no taste. ;) Here are some proper ones...

Vampire Killer, Castlevania: <youtube=eqH2jqcuRQM>

Hydrocity Act 2, Sonic Mania <youtube=ge6hqMK4iXc>

Monkey Island theme.: <youtube=tUrBets8Gos>

Worms Armageddon theme: <youtube=6D4Yr3ebNoQ>

Final Fantasy 6, Terra's theme: <youtube=a6t_uyg_pF8>

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The benefits of having an in-house music producer and a passion to entwine music with the game's world should not be underestimated

Honourable mention to Bloodborne soundtrack, but tends to be better heard in-game with the dramatic horror it presents, and not on the midst of a sunny spring day

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I love Maniac Mansion, but the NES version? Was that any good?

OT: Deadly Premonition had some great songs.

Just such a hauntingly beautiful song.

Upbeat, but mysterious sounding.

And of course

Can't beat the pure calm contentment that this song evokes.

These threads always expand way out of control. Does anybody ever go through and listen to all the songs?
Silvanus said:
Love is in the Air, From Yoshi's Story;
I liked Yoshi's Story. I'm going to have to get around to finishing that game one of these days.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Drathnoxis said:
I liked Yoshi's Story. I'm going to have to get around to finishing that game one of these days.
it's a pretty short game. unless you're going for 100% it should only take an hour or two to finish the main plot.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yoshi178 said:
Drathnoxis said:
it's a pretty short game. unless you're going for 100% it should only take an hour or two to finish the main plot.
I meant 100%. You can finish the main plot only playing, what, 1/4 of the levels or something?
[hr]
OT: The BEST workout song ever to appear in a video game:

Too swole to control!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BEHOLD! I bring more MUSIC.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hawk of Battle said:
GTA; Vice City still has the greatest soundtrack of all games ever.
I?m wondering if OP meant original compositions, but yeah I don?t think the Vice City 80?s stuff will ever get old. That?s pure nostalgia for me. I also thought it would be cool if the PC version of MGSV was modded with a figuratively complete set of 80?s tapes to find in the map. All the classic rock/metal/pop stuff had so much personality; it was like a modern renaissance of music.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I think OST are a big part of what makes a game great, it's usually the first thing I notice when I play a game I'll enjoy. I'll post music from some fairly new games.

Roaming Montana in Far Cry 5 while infiltrating compounds listening to the cultists blast this through their speakers and sing is awesome.

This song really has a Hotline Miami feel to it

Great adventuring music

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009