Best games of PS2?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Lord Kloo said:
Star wars battle front 2
BF2 should have come up sooner people! I'll toss in The Bard's Tale and the Dark Alliance games, I loved playing them. For racing games Midnight Club 3 was fun. I almost forgot Ace Combat 5, I'm such a horrid person.

protogenxl

Mar 5, 2008
My Playlist

Okami
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders 2
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Katamari Damacy
Burnout 3: Takedown
SSX
SSX: Tricky
SSX 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Armored Core 2
Armored Core 2: Another Age
Armored Core 3
Silent Line: Armored Core
Armored Core: Nexus
Armored Core: Last Raven
Dynasty Warriors 3

feebstalicious93

Aug 16, 2009
Icyheart said:
I've been saying for years now that the Jak and Daxter trilogy and the first four Ratchet and Clank games are without a doubt the greatest gems of gaming history, and dammit if no one ever seems to listen. You have no idea how good it is to see Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank as the first two titles on the first response to this thread. Thank you feebstalicious93. You have validated everything I have ever tried to do on this website.
So, yeah. Everything on his list (except GTA and 24) and also throw in Shadow of the Colossus as well. I don't know where you got that machine so late in its lifespan, but long as you get your hands on those games you will never need to upgrade. Current generation graphics be damned.
i completely forgot about that marvelous game called shadow of the Colossus, and i put jak and daxter first because they are number one. ratchet and clank is also number one, but i played jak first.

Ronmartin

Jun 1, 2011
Might I recommend Katamari Damacy: a silly Japanese game that defies attempts to insert into a genre, has simple and intuitive controls, has cute stylistic visuals, and possesses a soundtrack that you will never, ever, ever, EVER get out of your head. And you will love it for it.

Beyond Good And Evil, a game in which you save a planet of animal people from a conspiracy Involving mutant humans in armor and fish-like aliens. (better than it sounds)

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy is also a fun conspiracy-fighting game that provides the best videogame RPG upgrading system I've seen to date, and plenty of text logs to read if you're into that. Shamefully lacking in the animal people department, though.

If you're into horror games, Silent Hill 2 is apparently the best game in the genre, and the only one I've ever taken the time to play. Wouldn't recommend playing it without having a GameFAQs guide on hand, but even with one it provided a good story and a tense, scary atmosphere that didn't need to fall back on the "eight or so dudes go into a place and all but one dies horribly" plot of most horror movies.

Spider-Man 2 got great reviews for a fun web-sligning mechanic that really made the best use of open-world sandbox gameplay, even if the rest of the game was OK to mediocre.

A word of warning, though: Don't bother with final fantasy. I borrowed FFX (final fantasy ten) from a friend, and it remains the only game that I can't bring myself to finish. It's not horrible, but it's unintuitive and combat got boring after a while.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
God of War I
Persona 3
Persona 4
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Dynasty Warriors III
NBA Street, Volume 2
Metal Gear Solid series
Prince of Persia: Snads of Time Trilogy
Silent Hill 2 (as of typing not brought up. WHY?)
Silent Hill 3

Tin Man said:
Oh well. It seems you like RPGs, so I will strongly suggest you play Shadow Hearts 1, 2 is worth a look and whoever says there is a third is a liar. That games doesn't exist.
That's right. Shadow Hearts 3 does not exist. It is an ungame. We love Big Brother. But, seriously, the game was bad, so should all forget it's existence, like a lot of threes out there ( Empire Earth III, Master of Orion III, Thief III/Deadly Shadows, and at a stretch, Age of Empires III and God of War III). Three seems to be a cursed number, the point where series go to die, either being bad then or reaching the point that the one's that follow are bad. You can tell which ones survived the curse by seeing which III's were good and, if applicable, had good sequels.

Also, Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are good.

EDIT: Damn! Forgot about Shadow of The Colossus, Ico, and Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
The second Zone of the Enders game, God of War, Jak and Daxter (really, pick one, you won't regret it), the Ratchet and Clank series (again, any given R&C PS2 title is well worth your time). There are really dozen, but I only played a select few.

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
Goddamn... well, I'll try and make a list...

Ratchet and Clank 1
Ratchet and Clank 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
Jak and Daxter 1
Jak and Daxter 2
Jak and Daxter 3
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the cursed king
Lord of the rings: Return of the king
Lord of the rings: The third age
Star Ocean 3: Till the end of time
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Burnout 3: Takedown
Prince of Persia 1
Prince of Persia 2
Prince of Persia 3
Canis Canem Edit or Bully
GTA: Vice City
GTA: San Andreas
NBA Street Basketball
NBA Street Basketball 2
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc

Theres probably more but I can't remember right now...
I believe the more appropriate question for this answer is "What is your childhood?"

Hikaru CF

May 28, 2009
Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank series are must haves.

Final Fantasy 12. Gets a lot of criticism about the story and characters but in terms of gameplay it's my favourite FF. A huge map to explore with enemies moving around it in real time so no random encounters. The exploration and ability to move around freely, combined with the ATB battle system is awesome.

Rogue Galaxy. Really good RPG about space pirates. What's not to like?

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Donkey Kong
Sonic 2
A Link to the Past
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel 5
Link: The Faces of Evil
Aladdin
Contra
Tetris
E.T.
Crash Bandicoot
Super Mario 64
Halo

Just to name a few.

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Shadow Hearts (only ever played 1)
Dark Cloud 1 & 2
Ico
Shadow Of The Collosus
FFX
FF12
Ratchet And Clank
Road Trip Adventure
Sly cooper

Gah now I know there is more, I just cant remember
Now excuse me while I hunt down Shadow Hearts 2 =D

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well Shadow of the Colossus immediately comes to mind. As does the Sly Cooper games, Ratchet and Clank games, Kingdom Hearts games, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, God of War 1 and 2...

The list just goes on and on.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Zone of the Enders series, 007 Nightfire, the Suffering, Katamari Damacy, and Crash Bandicoot. For PS1 games, I'd say Tomba, Crash, and Tail Concerto are excellent titles.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Thanks, people! A lot of interesting suggestions here...

Though I have to say I was surprised by Ratchet and Clank being so popular! :D
Right now I feel like platforming, and I remember my friend playing Jak and Daxter(or was it Dexter?) back in the day, so I suppose I'll go with that for now.

And Shadow Hearts + Timesplitters sound interesting as I have never heard of them before.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Zone of the Enders: the Second Runner.
It's one of the best action games ever made, and also one of the best games to feature giant robots. It has great visuals, fun, fast-paced combat and spectacular bosses.

Just pretend the first game doesn't exist.

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts 2 are probably the best RPGs on the system if that's what you're looking for.