Best "Ice level" music?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Only thing I can think of at the moment is the Narshe theme from Final Fantasy VIIt's technically not an ice level, it is a snow covered town in a mountain. But I think it captures the mood you're looking for.

Solbasa

May 3, 2014
Nothing from Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm disappointed, Escapist. Xenoblade should come up in every discussion of best video game music, because it is (some of) the best.

Here's the Valak Mountain nighttime theme. It's a beautiful song, from one of the most breathtaking video game environments ever. Seriously, just go look it up. You won't be disappointed.

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Okay, granted, it's not a single song. Sorry, had to cheat. But the soundtracks to those games were fantastic.
Ha, you apologize for cheating with two songs after sneaking three past before you make your selection :p

For real though, I may have misnamed the thread. I'm not actually looking for the single best, I want to make a playlist here. Post as many as you feel appropriate!

Oct 22, 2011
Ice level? Why not entire game?

For some reason soundtrack for Heart of Winter(addon to first IWD) is included in 2nd soundtrack

Can't forget about HoMMIII winter wonderland

And WotLK menu theme for the frosting(huehuehue)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This was the first and only track to pop into my head after reading the thread title.

I feel chilly just listening to it.

LotoSage

Dec 12, 2014
I can't believe no one's mentioned Wilderness from Little Big Planet:

http://youtu.be/O6W7U1nuVPg

Phendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime being the runner-up.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Action Jack said:
Ha, you apologize for cheating with two songs after sneaking three past before you make your selection :p

For real though, I may have misnamed the thread. I'm not actually looking for the single best, I want to make a playlist here. Post as many as you feel appropriate!
Well..to be fair, the previous embeds were samples, and in some ways just examples. I wasn't technically picking them. And my final selection was more the entire soundtrack to the 'Mech games, rather than a single choice.

At least, that's the excuse I'm goin' with.

<.<

I'll try to remember to embed even more than the four above, later on. For now, I really need to try to get back to sleep.

Jiggle Counter said:
The entire Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack was fantastic, I think I'll go listen to that right now.
This is never a bad idea.

And as much flak as some fans gave the MechAssault games, I did like some of the music from them. Some of the songs felt almost as if they were channeling the essence of the MechWarrior 2 soundtrack.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Hmm. Tough call.

Wow. Just hearing that brings back so many memories. What a game! Seriously need to replay it once... And Retro Studios better release a sequel!

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014

Not a common choice and not particularly "winter-y" either, just something that has a really cool, fresh feel to it. If you've played the Gourmand Land levels in Rayman Origins you'll know what I mean.

Also I find Skyrim's soundtrack very fitting for winter. There's just a very still, bitter vibe to many of the pieces.

Oh this is really nice too. Ahhh, there's too many to list!

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
To me it's the Hovercraft Chase soundtrack from Crysis Warhead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL6DKnS6COY

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Listen to that beautiful icy Guild Wars violin music!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I've always loved the music Spiral Knights uses for it's Ice-themed levels.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I know this is actually a more "Windy" soundtrack.

But in my head, I always have the image of a skier, while this tune is on.

Doctor Teatime

Dec 2, 2013
I always loved the music in the ice parts of Skies of Arcadia, they gave the place a chilling [<.<] atmosphere.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Ima Lemming said:
Area 6 of Blaster Master:
Oh man I had forgotten about that one! I remember when I got to that level and I just paused it and enjoyed that music, not knowing when I'd get to hear it again with the amount of insanity I had gone through to get there.

My choice: Tribes 2 Ice:

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
As soon as I read " ice zone music" I instantly felt nostalgic for Metroid Prime

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8oefrmJrWk

The Nameless Mod also had some very nice music for its "ice level":

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fStp_CYZpbU