best in-game item EVER.

k0no

Aug 30, 2008
this could be anything from a weapon to a miscellaneous item.

the item needs to be compelling in some way.... perhaps it's funny..... perhaps it has nostalgic value..... perhaps it was the MOST AWESOME THING EVER at the time....

i've got a couple of favourites (but not really contenders):

The Golden Banana (the discworld game on PC and PS1..... "psst, hey, buddy... wanna buy an hourglass?")

The Rail Gun (Quake 2..... the best incarnation of the Rail in any game so far, i think)

post your contenders!

t0mme

Aug 5, 2008
The Red Shell in every Mario Kart game. It gave you hope when everything looked lost.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Another day, another best item ever thread.

I predict 5 minutes before the chicken and the pulley from Monkey Island comes up.

Tanker987

Sep 8, 2008
Broken IWIN button from WoW is the obvious one.
Healthpack - From most FPS's, the kind you use your feet to apply.
Chair - return to castle wolfenstien, what did it do anyway?

Mukiwa

Sep 4, 2008
I thought the glass of red wine in Vietcong 2 was quite amusing. You could jump around and hold it upside down and still not spill a drop, amazing!

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Crissaegrim from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Every time I play that game I think, "Okay this time I am not going to use Crissaegrim." It never happens. That sword is just too awesome.

Also: Mini-chainsaws in Dead Rising.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
When it comes to best in game item, i gotta go with the fire flower from SMB, old school greatness

k0no

Aug 30, 2008
the_tramp post=9.70933.708291 said:
Another day, another best item ever thread.

I predict 5 minutes before the chicken and the pulley from Monkey Island comes up.

yes. quite.

that was kind of the idea, believe it or not =P.

my vote goes on BOO the miniature giant space hamster! Baldur's gate ftw.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
that black hole grenade from one of the turok games...

it was my mates game... we played against each other... i only used the black hole thing... killed us both lots... big fun

Solytus

Sep 2, 2008
The Zodaic in Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando. Sure as hell wasn't economically efficient in terms of in-game money, but damn it was awesome. Press the trigger, the screen flashes white, and every enemy in the room is instantly vaporized. Made the game ridiculously easy if you had enough bolts, but still fun to mess with in heavily populated zones. =P

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ribbon from the Final Fantasy series. So many uses, so many appearances, arguably the greatest of all accesories. Invulnerability to all status effects? I'll take that with a side of chips please.

Crystine

Sep 7, 2008
In my game, ConquerOnline. A lvl 1 pickaxe (completely useless weapon/mining tool) dual socketed (which costs about 6 dragonballs which is $16 irl, or days/weeks of hunting), with two super gems in it (each about 3 dragonballs).

Completely useless and random item but made for an awesome laugh when I saw some retard had made one. xD

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
My answer:

Vodka - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Not only is it benefitial in getting ol' Strelok drunk till he can't see colours and see straight, it also purges the body of radiation!!!!

(use in moderation..but really, who does that?!)

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Most sheer amusement goes to the Excavator in Dead Rising. Drilling zombie, fun. Using drilled zombie to flog the hell out of legion of them: golden.

Unsung

Aug 29, 2008
The Spear you can get in FFTactics Advance that alluded to FFIV had some nostalgic value. Kain was a beast.