Best Intro to a game?

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Tekken 5: The song just fit the goings on so perfectly.

God of War 3: Got me pumped to kick some Greek god ass!

Resident Evil 4: Perfect example of the calm before the storm.

...is is my 100th post! YAY!...uh, now what?

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Zhukov said:
I, um... I think we have very different notions of "cool".
Considering that "cool" is an entirely subjective phrase, it's to be expected.

Yes, I thought the intro cinimatic for Lost Odyssey was cool (dudes chucking swords at other dudes, giant bludgeoning mechs, and lava pouring from the sky. What's not to love?) and I thought Graham and Paul's parody of it was pretty funny.

You know, come to think of it, I found the whole game of Lost Odyssey to be pretty good, and I don't really care for J-RPGs.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Sephychu said:
Yokai said:
Dawn of War, for sure. I still watch that cinematic for kicks. If the upcoming Ultramarines movie manages to be half that epic, it will be a spectacular success.
I must embed it, to subject those who have not seen it to the copious amounts of win.

Although Warcraft III and Borderlands had pretty great openers too.
I love the intro.
They really wanted that fucking hill, huh?
As I've said before, they wouldn't be Space Marines if they weren't composed of 100% pure manliness, and bum-rushing an entrenched position filled with melee troops uphill while outnumbered was the most immediate way to reaffirm the fact.

PsionicAtlas

Apr 7, 2010
mayhar said:
Borderlands. Best. into. ever.

but seriously, every time i hear aint no rest for the wicked i have to go back and play it
Totally this, my friend at University was playing this with me. We both hadn't played before and we broke out laughing....we knew that was going to happen to the skag but still laughed out loud.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Yokai said:
Sephychu said:
Yokai said:
Dawn of War, for sure. I still watch that cinematic for kicks. If the upcoming Ultramarines movie manages to be half that epic, it will be a spectacular success.
I must embed it, to subject those who have not seen it to the copious amounts of win.

I love the intro.
As I've said before, they wouldn't be Space Marines if they weren't composed of 100% pure manliness, and bum-rushing an entrenched position filled with melee troops uphill while outnumbered was the most immediate way to reaffirm the fact.
I wonder what the latin for; "Manliness before reason!" is. It would make for a better motto than Pax Imperialis.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Wild Arms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bEsv7IXLbg&feature=related

Epic opening to a Fantasy Western about a group of adeventurers battling exta-dimmensional robot demons...love the whistling

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkS6gAAsUk&feature=related

A single character simmaltaneously being a parody of Duke Nukem and Mario? Need I elaborate on why this awesome?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNI2yimhzec

Kidnapping via cake....that is all

UberLemonBoy

Feb 17, 2010
Georgie_Leech said:
How about the intro to a sequel? Set to awesome music, it managed to sum up the events of the previous games in the series without spoiling anything: showed the characters, summarised events, and introduced where the new game was starting. My personal favourite:

YES here is what you should get

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Sephychu said:
Yokai said:
Sephychu said:
Yokai said:

I love the intro.
I wonder what the latin for; "Manliness before reason!" is. It would make for a better motto than Pax Imperialis.
Vitualis Pro Causa, according to the internet. And yes, that would make a better motto.

SirJuggles

May 27, 2010
Yokai said:
Vitualis Pro Causa, according to the internet. And yes, that would make a better motto.
I'm pretty sure Pro Causa Virtus would be more grammatically correct, but the sentiment stands.

I'm gonna have to go with a childhood favorite, Mechwarrior 4. I remember tearing up when I first watched this.

(keep in mind this was released in 2000. They could have made a feature movie out of this and it would have been state-of-the-art)

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Mech assault Opening since everyone since DoW Intro ignoring the bad acting in the opening scenes o.o.

Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries is pretty good one too.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I like the Bioshock and Half Life 2 intros, but, as they've already been said, I thought inFamous' intro was pretty damn good at setting the tone for the rest of the game. I like it when the intro is mixed in with the tutorial level (as it cuts the middleman out).

For intro cutscenes, one that always sticks in my mind is the opening to Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
SirJuggles said:
Yokai said:
I'm pretty sure Pro Causa Virtus would be more grammatically correct, but the sentiment stands.

I'm gonna have to go with a childhood favorite, Mechwarrior 4. I remember tearing up when I first watched this.

(keep in mind this was released in 2000. They could have made a feature movie out of this and it would have been state-of-the-art)
Thanks for the correction, and welcome to the Escapist.
Good intro that one. Live action spliced with old-style CGI always has a place in my heart.