Best Martial Arts for blind people

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err what is Dare Devil fighting style? Yes I know he is a frictional character but hasn't there been a fan on calling him out to Stan Lee or something?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
BJJ is the one. You start in touching distance and as soon as someone makes contact with a grip you know where they are.

Once it is on the matt you are body to body and should have a rough idea of where everything else is. Its very much about feedback, feeling your opponent shift his weight, change his grip, switch to an underhook/ wizzer / whatever.

I can see how someone blind or partially sighted could train, improve and enjoy it.

Fighting is always different. Ive only ever done standing grapples and strikes. On the floor you dont know where his friend could come from and stamp you out.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If we're talking for fun/fitness, I suggest Brazilian Ju-jitsu. You'll still be at a disadvantage but grappling is partially done by feel.

If we're talking for practical self defense I suggest Buy-a-Big-Fucking-Dog-fu.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
You don't need martial arts for blind people, they won't see you coming with that cricket bat.

Anyways, point in case, I'm not comfortable suggesting blind people have a wish to inflict damage on someone if that might mean jeopardising innocent people and particularly those that might be trying to assist them. And someone will hopefully intercept someone obviously wailing on the disabled. At least I know I would attempt to do so. Last thing I want to have to deal with is a blind person trying to kick me for my troubles, or having to explain to police officers that a blind person struck me while attempting to help them before a mugger ran off.

I think the best self defence for the blind is social, rather than proactive. As in... *they're fucking blind*. People should have sone sensibilities concerning how fucking awful and cowardly that is. A blind person acting aggresively is more likely to get that aforementioned stick to the back of their head.

Which is hard enough to see coming when you do have your senses.

Let's be realistic here. Beating up the infirm, blind and paralyzed is about as low as you can get for physical assault. If the bar is already so low that a thug has so little a spine to limbo under that standard chances are they won't be above striking you when you have no means of reprisal.

Basicslly the only people a blind combatant is going to be hurting is the people trying to assist them.

Being blind sucks.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I hear being struck in the head by a barrel of toxic waste does wonders.

[sub][sub][sub]Daredevil reference FTW![/sub][/sub][/sub]

More seriously- the best I could suggest would be something like aikido or judo where re-directing energy and having a strong sense of one's center of gravity and balance (potentially stronger in a blind person) are key points.

But realistically, in a street fight, not being able to inherently tell where you're being struck or with what is going to be a big disadvantage. And if a weapon is involved, potentially a lethal one, before the blind person is able to bring their martial arts knowledge to bear.

Alienmen1

May 14, 2008
My answer is the amandement which allow the carry of firearm

Best fighting art there is...

Aint no joke, not allowing blind people the right to carry a gun is unconstitutional

(Dyslexic, be merciful)

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
All but the absolute worst scum aren't low enough to attack a blind person, so I doubt it will come up much. In the event that it does, I'm going to add myself to the Dog-jitsu camp.