Best mounts in games

Sep 13, 2009
Having been met with a lot of disappointment in this regard, I thought it might be a good thing to start a topic about. Essentially the question is:

What's your favorite mount to ride in a game?

I'm thinking about this mainly in regards to the gameplay and control, but other factors are welcome too.

Especially with horses, I've found that a lot of games implement it horribly. On the list are Epona from Ocarina of Time (forgivable because of its age), Oblivion and Every MMO I've Ever Played Far Enough In To Get A Mount.

Which to me just feels incredibly bland. When I'm riding a mount, I want to feel like I'm actually riding something. Not just moving faster. To that effect, you shouldn't have complete control over your mount, you should chiefly be directing it. With that said, I present my candidate for best mount:

Some of you may be reeling now, I know that Agro is not the most popular mounted companion. She can be unwieldy, jerks away from edges and obstacles, and you constantly need to press or hold the x button to keep her moving.

Not going to defend the x button problem here. That was flat out annoying.

But the rest of it? I actually like the difficulty controlling her. It may have not been implemented perfectly, but it makes Agro feel like far more of a living creature than any other mount I've used in a game. I vastly prefer the admittedly flawed attempt with Agro than the vanilla two lines of code fix most other games use. There's a reason that the 13th and 10th colossi are my favorite to fight, they both require the most use of Agro.

So, what's your favorite mount?

EDIT:

Okay guys, I have to be a buzzkill here and say no mechs. Mechs are cool. Mechs are great. But I already made a thread about them and where were all of you then?!

Seriously, if this trend continue the next thread I make is just going to get posts about horses.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010

The mighty Graug from Shadow of Mordor

These monsters are so fucking awesome, the music in the game changes. They can insta-kill any captain, no matter how strong said captain is. They have three types, normal, spiked, and blighted. The blighted graug has eaten so many poisonous creatures, he himself has become poisonous. That's fucking awesome.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
My Netherwing Drake in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade was damn cool.

I've been "meh" about the ideas of mounts ever since. I mean, I don't shun them in games, but when someone tries to use mounts as a selling point, it usually doesn't work on me. I mean, what can compare to freely flying around a huge world on a semi-glowing azure baby dragon?

Sep 13, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:

I've been "meh" about the ideas of mounts ever since. I mean, I don't shun them in games, but when someone tries to use mounts as a selling point, it usually doesn't work on me. I mean, what can compare to freely flying around a huge world on a semi-glowing azure baby dragon?
I'm actually a little surprised that you don't see more flying mounts in games. To be fair, flight is a bit of a risky thing to introduce, but I'm sure there's ways to implement it at least chiefly for overland travel

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
The elephants in Dynasty Warriors. Want to take a break from hyperactive sword fights? Stomp your enemies with Jumbo's help.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011

Shadowmere from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Why? Well, various reasons:

-You get her for free as part of the best questline in the game.
-She looks cool.
-She's one of the fastest horses in the game and will appear at the stables of a city if you ever fast travel to it.
-She's immortal so unlike other horses in the game you don't have to worry about her dying when you accidentally ride her off a cliff. Instead she'll only be knocked out for about 30 seconds.
-She's a badass prone to running into combat and giving you a helping hand, if she doesn't kill enemies she at least diverts their attention away from you. And this is combined with her aforementioned immortality.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Does riding the Titan henchmen in the Arkham games count? If so, that gets my vote.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
One of the coolest mounts that I was ever fortunate enough to obtain for myself was the Blue Proto Drake from World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.

Incredibly fun to show off and very rare to boot, if I do say so myself.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Aggro was cool. I liked the way you could stand on her or hang off the side and quickly drop into a jog beside.

Mount and Blade has some of the best horse controls I've experience. There's a sense of momentum and delayed reaction to your controls. But at the same time it captures how formidable you are from horseback. There's not a lot of attachment for the horses though.

GTA: Online is doing a pretty good job of getting you attached to the cars you drive around.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
Knight Captain Kerr said:

Shadowmere from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Why? Well, various reasons:

-You get her for free as part of the best questline in the game.
-She looks cool.
-She's one of the fastest horses in the game and will appear at the stables of a city if you ever fast travel to it.
-She's immortal so unlike other horses in the game you don't have to worry about her dying when you accidentally ride her off a cliff. Instead she'll only be knocked out for about 30 seconds.
-She's a badass prone to running into combat and giving you a helping hand, if she doesn't kill enemies she at least diverts their attention away from you. And this is combined with her aforementioned immortality.
Plus, she's safe storage sp you can kill her, fill her with loot and ride into town, kill her at the gates, unpack her and sell all your shit.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:
Probably the same here. The second I emerged from the dark portal and saw how vertical the zones had become I wanted to fly so badly it hurt. Never having been one for raids and having being disillusioned by the PvP by that point, getting that drake instantly became my end goal in outland. And I got it too, eventually, after eons of dailies. -.- Flying was such a big deal back in the day too, I still remember being a little scared when taking off on my dinky gryphon for the first time. Fall damage was a thing after all. I haven't kept up with WoW too much after the burning crusade, but to this day I've yet to see or hear of a flying mount I like more than my ol' drake. With one possible exception: that phoenix you had like a 1 in 1000 chance of getting from Kael'thas Sunstrider. From what I've seen it's mostly been regular dragons ever since, which feels like a step backwards when coming from ghost dragons.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
This guy! He made the journey possible for Abe to complete and I just loved his attitude in general, always made me laugh.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
I'm actually a little surprised that you don't see more flying mounts in games. To be fair, flight is a bit of a risky thing to introduce, but I'm sure there's ways to implement it at least chiefly for overland travel
Archeage does it wonderfully, imo. They have gliders, and most area's have hills and such to jump off of. It's not flight, but it makes getting down mountains and such a lot faster and more fun/beautiful.

Also, I wouldn't count mechs myself. I'd say they're in the class of 'moving combat platforms', or 'combat vehicles'.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
The Battle Armored Dragon Assault Strike System from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon comes to mind instantly.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Oh shoot! How could I forget this guy?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4WC2eMWcQt76BANqIZHez7HqKUC5bJAoRoy1QEZ7fuiXMHfMZmw:www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/9/93/Yoshi_FS.png/180px-Yoshi_FS.png,,

I've become disenchanted with the big N throughout the years, but I've always liked Yoshi. When given the chance in something like Mario Party or Mario Kart, I almost always play as him.