Best mounts in games

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scow2 said:
The Battle Armored Dragon Assault Strike System from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon comes to mind instantly.

"AND I SHOOT LASERS OUT OF MY FUCKING EYES!"

"Genocide is fun"

Yeah, hard to top that - weak ending after that... but that portion is just pure childish fun.

As i think about it... i can't remember having a special connection to any mount in any game... weird. Spaceships, cars, animal companions... yeah, but no mount.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
It is by no means a good mount, but in Stormpeaks in Northrend in WoW, there is a quest chain that requires you to fly around from the south by a goblin camp up the peaks to enter a cave. However you cannot fly when you initially level a toon through Northrend. In order to do this, you need to talk to one of the NPCs there to get a temporary leveling wyvern mount that moves at walking speed instead of 150% run speed. His name: Old Crappy McWeaksauce. That name makes me laugh every time.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Honestly, I don't think you can get any more bad-ass than a giant Spider mount.

Weird, image seems to randomly not work:
http://www.entdepot.com/pc/sacred2fallenangel/s4.jpg

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
has to be ruin.
flaming hooves that leave a fire trail and a dash that actually feels like it does something

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
I will always love the white tiger I had in World of Warcraft. I mean, you're riding a TIGER :D

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
This guy! He made the journey possible for Abe to complete and I just loved his attitude in general, always made me laugh.

You just won this thread. Elum was the shit! And as an Abe fan I'm rather ashamed of myself that I didn't think of this guy.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
The horses in RDR. Nothing I've played has done mounts nearly as well as this game. They feel and move in a very realistic manner compared to every other game I've played. I can just ride all day long in that game.

Even though it wasn't asked for, I want to pick the worst as well, which is WoW. The mounts in that have felt ridiculously flat ever since I first played the game back in 2006. The fact that they haven't changed at all is really sad. They offer nothing more than the most basic movement possible in a 3D space. It feels more like I'm controlling a camera than riding around on a living thing. On top of that every mount works the same as every other mount. Sure, some can move in the z-axis as well and the speed will change depending on your mount "licence" but it really is the biggest waste of the largest catalogue of mounts I've seen in a game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
chozo_hybrid said:
This guy! He made the journey possible for Abe to complete and I just loved his attitude in general, always made me laugh.

You just won this thread. Elum was the shit! And as an Abe fan I'm rather ashamed of myself that I didn't think of this guy.
I've never had anyone tell me I've won a thread before! What's the prize XD

I've been replaying the old games since New 'n' Tasty came out, and I can't afford it at the moment >_< So it reminded me of him.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm tempted to go with something unexpected and say either the Pigron or Bee mounts from Terraria.

They just looked cool and are fun to zip around the world map on. I'm really looking forward to the 1.3 update as players will be able to use any weapon while riding a mount.

Iwata said:
I nominate the Timber Wolf, from any Mechwarrior game.

What?
Does....does that count? Can vehicles count?

Because my picks would change dramatically, if so.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
For me? It'd probably have to be my Azure Drake in World of Warcraft.

The first day I returned for the Mists of Pandaria expansion, I went and soloed Malygos on a whim, and this gorgeous drake dropped. It's been my go-to flying mount ever since.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
The red fireball-spitting dragon from Golden Axe. Pretty much a walk for the rest of the level from that point on.

Sep 13, 2009
Okay guys, I have to be a buzzkill here and say no mechs. Mechs are cool. Mechs are great. But I already made a thread about them and where were all of you then?!

Seriously, if this trend continue the next thread I make is just going to get posts about horses.

-Ezio- said:
battle nugs.

clearly the best.
Is it wrong that this is the most compelling reason I've seen yet to buy Dragon Age Inquisition?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009

Reaper Class Magitec Armor, FF14.

You get it for finishing the main story quest 'The Ultimate Weapon' so pretty much every one at level 50 has it but I still think its the most bad ass mount I have.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Does the boat from Zelda: Wind Waker count? The King of Red Lions? He has a cannon, is quite fast if you spam the sail rhythmically (you can outrun the boomerang), teleports you through the world map, helps you glitch the game for you to speed run, etc.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
What is a mount but a vehicle? After having made that statement, I think it was Saint's Row 2 that allowed you to get into the subway-trains and actually control them. Yes, they're on a track and yes, the controls are really limited but this is such a rarity in open world sandboxes that I can't help but point in awe at the fact that I can turn the yellow line orange...if I get lucky...generally if I hit anything it explodes because it was a car or truck that I bashed into...then the train derails. Then I can shoot it with the rocket launcher until it explodes which is another thing that most open world sandboxes lack.

Tom Shirley

Feb 26, 2015
Yoshi, Epona, Several mounts in WoW, RDR horses are what popped into my mind when reading the OP. For the WoW mounts my first mounts(Brown Kodo and Great White Kodo) back when ground mounts were available at 40 and 60 and expensive, and the Netherwing drake.

Later on the Azure Drake and Mechano-Hog became my favorite mounts that I had collected. Unfortunately I never got Kael'Thas to drop Ashes of Alar, to this day that is still the best looking mount in WoW to me and it's still stupid rare.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Any game I can ride a spider in, the spider would be my favorite mount.
Too bad I was playing the wrong class for that in Sacred II. (But I hope I can someday get one in d&d)

As for mounts I've actually had in game, Shadowmere.
Also, dragons, but the only game I remember riding a dragon in (where I was actually in control) was Eragon.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
The Almighty Aardvark said:
-Ezio- said:
battle nugs.

clearly the best.
Is it wrong that this is the most compelling reason I've seen yet to buy Dragon Age Inquisition?
not at all. it's my GOTY in no small part because of these majestic bastards.

i call mine The Great and Powerful Schmooples