Best Narrator, period

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
1) Morgan Freeman
2) Keith David
3) Samuel L Jackson

Think that this would be a lot funnier if it was just best voice that could be used for narration because I would throw Liam Neson and Sean Connery into that list.
Add Stephen Fry and Patrick Stewart to this post and it's pretty much what I'd have said. Yes, it's a 7-way tie for best narrator.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
KefkaCultist said:
Morgan Freeman, that man could narrate the most boring, mind-numbing drivel and people would still shell out a ton of money to hear him speak
You're right - it already happened

I kid - I actually really liked "March of the Penguins", and I'll have to go with Morgan Freeman as well; seriously, how can somebody's voice be THAT awesome?

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Figured I may as well jump on the bandwagon.

Or else Neil deGrasse Tyson. His narration of NOVA specials is one of the reasons I'm studying to become a physicist (along with playing Half-Life).

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
I've got to vote for Jim Dale, he's the guy that narrated Pushing Daisies, he also did the Harry Potter audio books, an excellent narrator all around.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Omikron009 said:
Whoever did the voice over for the TES V trailer. Best damn voice I've ever heard.
Max von Syndow [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Sydow]. He's a great actor generally.

I think I prefer Stephen Fry though. Or perhaps Sigorney Weaver. She's quite good too.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Thought this video relates.

Morgan Freeman has such a smooth voice. I have to also mention Stephen Fry, he has a great voice too.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Morgan Freeman, of course. He is the reason my copy of War of the Worlds stays firmly on my desk, ready to be viewed again at my leisure.

I'd happily wager that, if he narrated the videos we watch in Biology and Chemistry, my entire class (bell-ends, all) would pass with flying colours.

Scuzzymcfi

Sep 18, 2010
Well, if you're talking about pure voice talent, then the obvious choice is Morgan Freeman.

However, if you're talking about best-ever written narration in a movie, the choice is Stanley Kubrick/ Anthony Burgess in "A Clockwork Orange." Any film nerd will tell you that.

Observe: "We were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure."

(Note: I know that the above line of Narration seems a bit ridiculous, but I promise you I'm not trying to be sarcastic. You'll just have to watch "A Clockwork Orange" to understand the sly and easy brutality with which Malcolm McDowell infuses his lines.)

Coming in a close second for best-written narrative is Jim Uhls/ Chuck Palahniuk for Edward Norton's lines in "Fight Club."

Mikoi

Sep 29, 2010
I would have to say Patrick Stewart and Morgan Freeman...

Morgan Freeman has one of the most recognisable voices, and Patrick Stewart... well... grown up with him being a Cpt. so yeah, kind of like his voice overs for a lot of the things.

That... or Donald Duck

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
Okay, now that we got Morgan Freeman out of the way...
I'm going to have to go with Sir Ian McKellen. That man is amazing in whatever he acts in.
Next, I think Leonard Nimoy deserves a spot. Just sayin.

Edit: Oh no, how could I forget?! Eddie Izzard! Him too!

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
John Bain, more commonly known as TotalBiscuit.

Less serious answer; whoever narrates DoW: Soulstorm

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Dr Snakeman said:
Also, Michael C. Hall's narration as the titular character of Dexter is equal parts Audio Erotica, witty, snarky humor, and utterly bone-chilling.
i love when main characters in tv shows narrate too :D like dexter, burn notice, and scrubs.

except sex and the city. her voice just pisses me off, glad ive only seen like 5 minutes of the show in my life

NeonOranges

Jan 16, 2011
Vincent Price, hands down. That man could have done the voice for a dog turd and made it compelling.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Best narrator, period?

Hard to answer. Some narrators are better suited to some tasks than others. Dan LaFontaine was a marvelous movie trailer narrator, Morgan Freeman is a good movie narrator, Stephen Fry is a good documentary narrator (so is Sigorney Weaver, believe it or not; she was wonderful with the TV broadcast of Planet Earth), Norio Wakamoto is a good <url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LemonyNarrator>lemony narrator (as is whoever that guy was who did the PS2 Bard's Tale game, and, oddly enough, Crispin Freeman)...

I think, just out of loyalty, I'm going to have to go with Christopher Sabat, for his spectacular(ly hammy) narration of the Negima!? anime.

"Shock and awe! Has Negi finally met his match?! Look forward to the next episode with NAIL-BITING DESPERATION!"