Best online game communities?

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
You read the title, what's the best online community that you've witnessed?

I saw the recent thread of the worst online gaming communities and I thought about the good online communities that are out there, which is considerably harder than thinking of the worst I reckon.
I'd have to say that KIllzone 2's online playerbase was pretty decent back when I was playing it, although that was at least a year ago that I logged onto it. Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries' playerbase is damn good by my standards as well, comprised of hardcore followers who will help you out and function as a proper team throughout missions and skirmishes.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
It's been years since I logged on, so I don't know how it is anymore, but Battlefield 2142 used to have a great community behind it. It was rare that I would join a game where people weren't forming squads and working together to hold the line or take the next command post. If I logged on today it would probably be an unmitigated clusterfuck, but there were good times...

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Modern Warfare 2

Nah in seriousness I'd say...errmmm...........

.......I really haven't played with any non shitty online game communities, seeing as I'm normally on Xbox Live.
So I got nooooo idea.

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
I remember that Runescape had a pretty nice set of people playing. Now it is just a bunch of obsessed.....I don't know the word to use.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Tf2 is awesome, much less annoying people, especially on a community called FuG. They're awesome. Just find a group to play with and stick to it.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
In my near 200 hours of playing TF2 (PC version), I've only joined two severs full of annoying idiots. That's one hell of a good track record.

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
I know this is totally a mileage may vary type of thing, but compared to the relative trainwreck that is the Live community now I had an absolute blast with Halo 2. I'm willing to accept that I was lucky, but I found that since almost everyone had a mic (as opposed to a minority) generally everyone was fairly civil to each other.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
TF2 wins at this.

It's like the trolls get bored of it or something...

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
You'll find more intellectual people in Team Fortress 2 than on other online game communities.

Proof here:
<youtube=vFMqWpfZUSw>

Plus, there's a lot of teamwork required in Team Fortress 2 so the community's more civil and mature.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Definitely TF2 for the PC.

I've heard that on the consoles though it's pretty much the opposite, possibly caused because they didn't get a lot of the updates the PC did because of their respective networks.

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
The best I've ever seen was SWAT 4. The mechanics of that game either bred or attracted intelligent, tactical gamers. Everyone worked as a team and made use of real world strategies instead of going Rambo. I made a lot of friends in that game that I still talk to on a regular basis today.

Other than that, I'd have to add another vote for Team Fortress 2 for all the same reasons mentioned so far. I got TF2 with the Orange Box but never actually played it until about two weeks ago. I wish I had known the caliber of the community sooner; it would have cut down on all those hours wasted being called childish expletives in the Modern Warfare games.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The mod Forgotten Hope 2 for Battlefield 2. Everyone there is nice and helpfull, and there is a lot of teamwork.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Ldude893 said:
You'll find more intellectual people in Team Fortress 2 than on other online game communities.

Proof here:
<youtube=vFMqWpfZUSw>

Plus, there's a lot of teamwork required in Team Fortress 2 so the community's more civil and mature.
This is hilarious AND informative.

Granted that's only two guys having an intellectual debate, it's still quite cool.

I was really trying to get people to be more creative than TF2 tho, since it pretty much goes without saying that TF2 is one of the best communities in the world.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Team Fortress 2 and I had to play on the xbox, but damn, I met some great people there. People who were fun to talk to and just nice.

damn I was ninja'd

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Halo 2 and Call of Duty 4 had great communities. Halo 3 and MW2/Black Ops, on the other hand... :(

Urban Dead and Echo Bazaar also have great communities. There's a lot of cooperation in the former, and a lot of class - perceived class, but still class - in the latter.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Recently i don't really play much online, except for L4D 1+2 and an occasional bit of CSS. Both are fine generally, L4D may require the occasional vote kick but usually you can find a good team for an evening play. CSS is all about the server, there are plenty of good clan and community servers, plus some of the other moderated servers have a good regular player base.
in either case you have to get you skills up to a certain point and be willing to interact with the other players. Good communities take work from everyone.
TF2 seems fine but I've never really played it enough to get into it, I do have a couple of friends though who have hundred of hours of play time so they must see something in it.

Shade184 said:
Halo 2 and Call of Duty 4 had great communities. Halo 3 and MW2/Black Ops, on the other hand... :(
Its just the tide of dicks I think, they move on to whatever the latest most popular game is, e.g. black ops and halo 3. There was a time when L4D was full of dicks but they all got bored and moved on.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
I'm suprised no-one's pointed this out yet, but... THIS IS an on-line game community! it's pretty awesome, too!

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
ApeShapeDeity said:
I'm suprised no-one's pointed this out yet, but... THIS IS an on-line game community! it's pretty awesome, too!
OH! Sa-nap!

Whilst you are technically correct, and yes, we are awesome, the thread is about gaming communities in the sense of a playerbase of specific games, not games in general.