Best RPG ever? (Not including MMORPG's)

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
The original Baldur's Gate gets my vote, brilliant game. It had Elminster in it, and he barely appeared in BG2.

NimbleJack3

Apr 14, 2009
I hated NWN2 to bits. It was terrible and no longer a D&D simulator, just another generic fantasy game. But NWN updated to it's peak is just as good, if not better, as NWN2. Also KH2 was brilliant, but I have a feeling that many people will dissagree on this. I liked it mainly because it let me revisit my childhood.

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
My picks would be:

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (I couldn't stand Oblivion.)
Baldur's Gate (The first one)
Eye of the Beholder II

airEx

Apr 15, 2009
Mass Effect

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements

Neverwinter Nights (1&2)

Diablo (1&2)

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Digital Devil Saga 2 is my favourite. There weren't that many good RPG's this and last year anyway.

Kirra

Apr 14, 2009
Baldur's Gate 2 or Final Fantasy 7. Too bad i can't get Planescape: Torment working on Windows 7.

Jepix

Mar 26, 2009
Some Nethack clone, maybe ZangbandTk. Back in the days when RPG's were hard and realistic without fancy graphics.

Sethran

Jedi
Jun 15, 2008
It really depends on what you look for in an RPG. If you like story-heavy games, the Xenosaga games are incredibly complex, beautifully crafted, and so deep your head might explode trying to wrap your head around everything. It's the Lost of RPGs, really, with more questions than answered but it answers what's important. The problem is the gameplay, what with hours of cutscene and maybe two or three hours of actual gameplay [And a hassle-filled combat system too].

If you like a blend of combat and storytelling, Bioware's games are pretty much the best. KOTOR 1 and 2, Mass Effect, and the upcoming Dragon Age are great examples of RPGs, and in my mind Bioware is my favorite RPG developer [Right next to Square-Enix].

My personal favorite, however, would have to be FF7. It's a classic, and was probably my first RPG.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Diablo 1(haven't played 2 yet)
If I can count Starcraft then Starcraft
Chrono Trigger
Fallout 3 is decent

Ashraam

Mar 30, 2009
Fallout 1&2 or Arcanum

Edit : Starcraft, or Diablo as RPGs ? I really hope it's a joke...