Best sci-fi book you've ever read

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Best sci-fi book. Best book ever.

2nd place goes to Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. 3rd is Ender's Game. 4'th The Gunslinger by King.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Star Wars title: "Republic Commando" series by Karen Traviss.
Non-Star Wars title: "The Puppet Masters" by Robert A. Heinlein.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
Ender's Game. The best book I've ever read. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy come in second.
I'll have to half agree by putting Ender's Game at second and Ender's Shadow first. Both books and the series' that follow each are amazing, just wish Orson Scott Card wasn't such a twat :/

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
The Walking Dead. It has a Virus that by most modern standards of science isn't possible. Thus, Science Fiction. That and one of the best twist out there, a twist that's in the title yet you don't see coming. It would be like if they called SW: Episode five "I'm your father."

thewaever

Mar 4, 2010
It's a long thread so I'm skipping bits. Sorry if this has been said before, but just about anything by Iain M Banks, especially Excession & Looking to Windward.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
So it goes...

Kurt Vonnegut, not a lot of mentions so far. "Cats cradle, Slaughterhouse 5, Sirens of Titan, Timequake, galapogos". There is too many to choose from so just read everything. "Mother night" is not sci-fi but it is truly a great story.

Also George Orwell "1984" and Ray Bradbury "The Illustrated Man."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Stealthygamer said:
Mine is probably I,Jedi
Probably the best 'stand alone' Star Wars book.

But, for me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night%27s_Dawn_Trilogy

Amazing group of books, deep as anything you've probably read and just an amazing story.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
deckpunk said:
Also George Orwell "1984" and Ray Bradbury "The Illustrated Man."
Wowozers, I almost forgot 1984. Since the date of the title has past I've kept forgetting that it's Science Fiction.

Oct 30, 2010
SeeIn2D said:
Da Orky Man said:
Ender's Game. The best book I've ever read. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy come in second.
I'll have to half agree by putting Ender's Game at second and Ender's Shadow first. Both books and the series' that follow each are amazing, just wish Orson Scott Card wasn't such a twat :/
I like you.

I'd probably doing something like:

1. Ender's Shadow
2. Ender's Game
3. Starship Troopers
4. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. The Diamond Age
7. Neuromancer

Then we get into a jumble of Heinlein's time travel world building stuff (except the god awful abomination that is Number of the Beast), Asimov, more Douglas Adams, the Darth Bane books etc.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
The Gaunt's Ghosts series is probably my favourite, although I'm really enjoying the Horus Heresy series as well. I don't read much sci fi outside of that kind of book however.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
I can't say best book I've ever read, but a few series really stick out to me:

Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series was really good with some pretty realistic depictions of ship-to-ship combat in space.

Dann Cragg and David Sherman's Starfist series about Marines in space - sort of a realistic version of future combat with ground pounders.

Ian Douglas' Heritage, Legacy and Inheritance trilogy; nine books dealing with a dynasty of the Marines across a few centuries, ranging from fighting the French-led UN on Mars, to thwarting aliens at home and abroad, to shooting a star at a black hole. Very hard sci-fi and can verge towards the depressing at points. Highly recommended.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Ender's Game, without a doubt my favorite book of all time. Ender's Shadow was almost just as good too.

The Christopher pike books come in a real close second though, he's my favorite author (they're mainly horror but usually have sci-fi elements). Monster, The Grave, Starlight Crystal, all amazing books...

The Arthur C. Clarke stuff is really good too, Rendezvous with Rama is outstanding.

*Reading the comments I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people picking Ender's Game :)