Best sci-fi book you've ever read

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Starship Troopers with it's hard military science fiction. It gives interesting new outlooks on philosophy and morals too. Coming second is 2001:A Space Odyssey. I had to read the kiddie version first as it was pretty damn difficult for me but the full one was a damn fine book.

EDIT:Gasp! How could I forget Fahrenheit 451? It's a pretty good book too. The first book I finished with a craze for months. It broke my lazy-cycle.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
I haven't really gotten to read alot although I wish I could get into it more, but Pendragon by D. J. MacHale was pretty amazing, I also enjoyed Hitch Hikers Guide To the Galaxy

Zakariaz

Nov 17, 2009
Definately a tie between Dune, and the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

Cannot decide between the two as they appeal to totally different aspects of my nerdiness.

thatgeekbronnie

Sep 13, 2011
I really loved Phillip K. Dick's "Man in the High Tower" it's the book that got me into alternate histories in fiction. And a close second would have to be the first book in The Wheel of Time series.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Halo: Fall of Reach. Love that book so much. It gives what follows in the Halo universe so much more meaning.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Stealthygamer said:
Mine is probably I,Jedi
Good one, not my favorite of Stackpole's writings though...

My all time favorite is Neuromancer by William Gibson. Best damn prophetic book evar. No, not 100% accurate but he nailed the internet long before its time.

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
Blablahb said:
That's going to be the Hunger Games, followed by Metro 2033 I think.
>Hunger Games
You, my friend, are the bro-est bro that ever broed. Have a brofist.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(

OT: Jumper and Reflex are the other favorite sci-fi books I've ever read. Seriously, just the way Gould manages to turn such an unoriginal plot device as teleportation and write it in the style of a piece of literary fiction... 'tis a very beautiful thing.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

As I haven't read much Scifi it's a clear winner.

Sakeretsu

Aug 15, 2010
A series I Discovered recently as ebooks ,''The Spinward Fringe'' series by Randolphe Lalonde ,it's some excellent space opera twisty stories .

Also that may be just because i'm a big Halo fan but i really apreciate all the novels ,they may be not clased as ''the best'' but they are easy to pick an read you can give them that .

Also i tried some Philip K Dick stuff but it didn't grip me ,maybe i'm to young for that kind of sci fi .

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Not sure they entirely count as Sci Fi but they definitely have a lot of sci fi influence.

John Dies at the End is honestly one of the funniest and most disturbing books I've read. Stick with it and you'll either be completely hooked, wondering what drugs David was on and where to get some, or both.

The entire Wild Cards series by George R. R. Martin. (He's really more the editor as they're written collectively by multiple authors.) It's a more "realistic" take on the superhero genre and what might happen if people suddenly started gaining superpowers. Some are better than others but all of them that I've read are worth the time. Don't go in expecting DC or Marvel level power from most of the characters. A lot of the tension comes from characters learning to use powers that seem less useful than they end up being.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Orson Scott Card's Xenocide. It's my favourite in the series!
/troll
/xkcd reference
But seriously, the whole series is awesome. Never finished Children of the Mind though, which sucks.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Probably Dune. The sequels are still great, but none equal the first one by any means.

That or Neuromancer, but I feel like that's too specific to the cyberpunk subgenre. Snow Crash also deserves an honorable mention.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
"His Master's Voice"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Master%27s_Voice_%28novel%29

More SCIENCE than fiction. Not for anyone - there's no action, pace is very slow. It's more like documentary of something similar to "Manhattan Project". Very enlightning.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Light Music by Kathleen Ann Goonan, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell or Beautiful Soup by Harvey Jacobs.. Or maybe The Sirens of Titan.

Oh God. This is why I can't have favourite things. There are too many good things out there. Seems unfair to choose one.