Best Selling Steam Games of 2016 Revealed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Best Selling Steam Games of 2016 Revealed

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330353.jpg

Top 12 top-grossing games include The Witcher 3, XCOM 2, Rocket League, and No Man's Sky.

Valve has revealed the 100 best-selling games of 2016 on Steam, with the games sorted into four categories: platinum, gold, silver, and bronze.

The top 12 were displayed in random order, and included Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Civilization VI, Dark Souls 3, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto 5, Rocket League, Tom Clancy's The Division, Total War: Warhammer, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and XCOM 2, along with No Man's Sky, despite the game's icy reception and mostly negative overall user reviews [http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/].

The gold games include Arma 3, Stellaris, Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Stardew Valley, Dead by Daylight, King of the Hill, Rainbow Six: Siege, Ark: Survival Evolved, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Warframe, and Team Fortress 2.

You can check out the full list of the 100 best-sellers, many of which are discounted, here [http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/].

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
A small correction, this is "Top Grossing" Games of 2016. Which is why free to play games like DOTA 2 are on the list.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
#Edit, never mind, question answered.

Great to see Witcher 3 and Rocket League in there even with their early-mid 2015 releases. Proof that the longer term sales are there if a game's good enough.

It amuses me tremendously to know that Subnautica made more money on Steam this year than Infinite Warfare. Aside from being a total disaster for Activision, that must equate to sales in the seven figures for Unkown Worlds, since Subnautica is around $20 but still made more than the full priced Infinite Warfare.

That's brilliant, nobody more thoroughly deserves the success than Unknown Worlds.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I shall now enjoy an insufferably smug chuckle at the expense of all those people who got sucked in by No Man's Sky.

Nice to see XCOM 2 did so well. This means we'll be getting more squad-scale turn-based strategy games right? Eh? Eh? Right? Riiiiiight?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Zhukov said:
I shall now enjoy a insufferably smug chuckle at the expense of all those people who got sucked in by No Man's Sky.
I would love to know if this is just gross revenues, or if this is gross revenue minus refunds. That could tilt the picture a little.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Nice to see Stardew Valley did well. It's a delightful little game.

Oct 15, 2015
Zhukov said:
I shall now enjoy an insufferably smug chuckle at the expense of all those people who got sucked in by No Man's Sky.

Nice to see XCOM 2 did so well. This means we'll be getting more squad-scale turn-based strategy games right? Eh? Eh? Right? Riiiiiight?
The guys over at Harebrained are making a Battletech squad-scale turn-based strategy game as we speak. They unveiled a pre-alpha video a month or so ago, it looks freaking GREAT.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Now if these would actually mean something, I would be impressed. But like most awards, they are kind of unimportant.
And considering that it was community voted, it was with a huge bias to bigger names to begin with as the smaller (and potentially better) games have smaller communities to begin with. Meaning less people that are even aware of these games to vote for them in the first place.
So, yeah, rather worthless awards overall.

Personal note: F**k L4D2, that thing belongs in the trash, not an award show - even a pointless one.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Bindal said:
Now if these would actually mean something, I would be impressed. But like most awards, they are kind of unimportant.
And considering that it was community voted, it was with a huge bias to bigger names to begin with as the smaller (and potentially better) games have smaller communities to begin with. Meaning less people that are even aware of these games to vote for them in the first place.

Personal note: F**k L4D2, that thing belongs in the trash, not an award show - even a pointless one.
Um... This list was games based on revenue (i.e. $$$$$), not voting. So if L4D2 is on the list, they must have sold a bunch of copies this past year.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Bindal said:

"Community voted"? This is about games that got a shit ton of sales and made a lot of money.

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Isn't TF2 free-to-play? Or are they counting Hats/Crates/whatever it is these days

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Seth Carter said:
Isn't TF2 free-to-play? Or are they counting Hats/Crates/whatever it is these days
The measure is Gross Revenue rather than sales of retail copies.

So for TF2, DotA2 and Warframe it's all in game store based income that's put them up there. It makes some of the game in the Platinum/Gold/Silver categories doubly impressive when they have no in game store and aren't sold at the traditional full price. Some $20 and $15 games are in the top 50 for income this year, they'll be some happy devs and publishers.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
The great thing is that since Warframe is a free-to-play game, it doesn't get any discounts for winning. God dammit, let me have cheap plat you sons of bitches!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
HomuraDidNothinWrong said:
The guys over at Harebrained are making a Battletech squad-scale turn-based strategy game as we speak. They unveiled a pre-alpha video a month or so ago, it looks freaking GREAT.
Oh?

*googles*

Oh. It's by the people who made that new Shadowrun game, which I found to be awful in every way. I heard people say good things about the follow-ups but be damned if I was going to throw good money after bad considering the dismal initial effort.

*youtubes*

Aaaand the video made the game look pretty shallow. Yeah, it's too early to judge but there was nothing much on display. Looked like something I'd expect to see on Steam Greenlight.

Plus the mechs look derpy as hell. Like boxes on legs.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Awards given based on product profit and not product quality.

Mediocre.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Zulnam said:

Mediocre.
what awards? these are just the names of the top grossing games on steam in 2016. no awards being given here

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
sagitel said:
Zulnam said:

Mediocre.
what awards? these are just the names of the top grossing games on steam in 2016. no awards being given here
You are correct.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
It makes me sad that No Man's Sky is on this list. I wonder how refunds factor in, if they do at all.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
I like that one of the items in the "Bronze" category isn't even a game, but a piece of hardware.