Best total conversion mods?

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
Hi there, I would like to know what are some of the best total conversion mods out there to play? I am thinking of playing Star Trek Armada III for SINS Rebellion and researching it looks interesting. I was wondering what other amazing total conversion mods do you know?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The definition of Total Conversion might not fit but it does rebuild the game into something far greater so my current favourite has to be Fallout New Vegas: Tale of Two Wastelands, it imports the entirety of Fallout 3 and all its DLC into Fallout New Vegas and allow you to travel around and between both The Capital Wasteland and the Mojave without bending the lore to much.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Europa Barbarorum for Rome: Total War is probably my favourite. It's hard as hell, but all the rich detail makes it worth it. They really put every ounce of the engine to its limits. It's chock block full of historical info, really good unit and faction design, the map is enlarged, there is a solid attempt at adding a political system and the areas of recruitment are awesome. Now you can actually play Carthage with an army of mixed Libyan, Numidian, Iberian and Gallic mercenaries, for example. Actually, the mercenary situation has been greatly expanded upon in the mod, which makes it very interesting. You can wind up with all kinds of interesting units in various parts of the world they wouldn't normally end up.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
A Clash of Kings Mod (ACoK) for Mount & Blade Warband is really fun, is brings the world of Westeros & Essos from A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) into the Mount & Blade game and does so really well, it's set around the time of the second book, A Clash of Kings, where you can side with a large number of factions all over and really explore the world.

You can also play with the Floris Expanded mod which doesn't change the base world or story but has all the upgrades and extra cool features of the Clash of Kings Mod (ACoK was built on top of the Floris Mod)

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
MechWarrior: Living Legends for Crysis Wars.
It was pretty damn good. I think I can say I enjoyed it more than I did MechWarrior Online, even though I didn't get to play it much.
I believe you can get the latest version from before the guys behind MWO shut them down, and some people still play it. Don't know, though. Damn shame, it was fun as hell.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Shaun Kennedy said:
A Clash of Kings Mod (ACoK) for Mount & Blade Warband is really fun, is brings the world of Westeros & Essos from A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) into the Mount & Blade game and does so really well, it's set around the time of the second book, A Clash of Kings, where you can side with a large number of factions all over and really explore the world.

You can also play with the Floris Expanded mod which doesn't change the base world or story but has all the upgrades and extra cool features of the Clash of Kings Mod (ACoK was built on top of the Floris Mod)
That mod jumped my game time for Warband from 100 hours to over 400 hours played. There is also A World Of Ice And Fire for Warband.

If you play Crusader Kings II the Game of Thrones mod and the ElderKings mod are both awesome total conversion mods.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I was a big fan of the Half Life 2 mods Resistance and Liberation (WW2 multiplayer pseudo mil-sim. Check their moddb page - Their home page has been hacked) and Zombie Master (FPS players versus 1 RTS player).

But that was quite some time back. I really haven't had that much of an interest in mods in recent years. The only mods I've used are fan patches to get old games working properly (Quake 2) or recent games working better (Dark Souls).

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
There's a great one for Star Wars: Empire At War that adds a lot of Clone Wars ships to the mix and expands the arsenal of both the Empire and Rebellion to include more fighters, cruisers and capital ships of various descriptions.

This one's for the original game:
http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/AEM;86712

This one's for the expansion pack, Forces of Corruption:
http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/Absolute_Corruption_mod;97499

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
just heard about this one the other day. No idea how good or not good it is, but it LOOKS cool.

http://sureai.net/projects/enderal/?lang=en

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I think it also prudent to mention the Total Conversion Projects for The Elder Scrolls games that try to recreate older games in new engines. In Oblivion they tried to remake Morrowind (Morroblivion), in Skyrim there's projects to remake both Oblivion (Skyblivion) and Morrowind (Skywind), the latter of which has gained a lot of attention and is doing a very impressive job!

Merrik Blackwater

Mar 17, 2015
Brytenwalda for Mount and Blade: Warband is by far the best fan made total conversion that I have discovered. It was so popular in fact that the developers of M&B:WB had the developers of the total conversion mod make an offical expansion for the Mount and Blade. Viking Conquest however was too buggy and had too many A.I. issues and failed horribly. I guess there is still Brytenwalda to go back to.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Third Age Total War with MOS Submod (Medieval 2 Total War) - Quite possibly the best Lord of the Rings game there is. You can play as any faction in Middle Earth with a huge selection of units which all look fantastic, especially Gondor's. Plenty of custom settlements as well and a fairly good balancing act. The MOS submod does improve it a great deal so I recommend getting it alongside regular Third Age. It add's a bunch of cool new scripts like making the ring come in to play, either having to destroy it or give it to Mordor to resurrect Sauron who become an immortal general.

Roma Surrectum 2 (Rome: Total War) - My personal favourite Rome mod. Completely overhauls everything in the game with a focus on Rome. Has around 30ish legions and loads of auxilia units, with Rome having about 1/5 (100 units) of the total roster! The other factions all have new units as well but the focus is obviously on Rome. The units and new battle maps and cities all look fantastic and even has an option for 0 turn recruitment for larger battles to happen quicker and more regularly. It's not as historically accurate as other Rome mods but then again but it does put a lot into being as accurate as possible while not sacrificing gameplay or putting in some hypothetical units (Greek units won't have always used hoplites if they grew, for example). The new units all look fantastic, especially Rome and Sparta's units. I highly recommend.

Project Reality (Battlefield 2) - a great mod that makes Battlefield 2 play completely different. personally I have never touched the MP and play only with bots (of which you can have up to 100 of with some file editing). Has a boat load of maps and the bots are pretty good making it a fantastic combat sandbox. I posted a bunch of videos against bots if you want to check out what it looks and plays like: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3UnPqBe3_iLnEs4CPZJx8gtrh-UCOfr-

Forgotten Hope (Battlefield 2) - Another Battlefield 2 mod but this time WW2. Great bot support for most maps and much the same reasons to get as PR above.

Doom 1 and 2 mods - Can't really list a single one as there are countless gameplay overhaul and TC mods for Doom. Not to mention the thousands of user made maps that are awesome. A few favorites of mine are Weapon X, Trailblazer and Project MSX. Again, a few videos with mod links I posted: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3UnPqBe3_iLa17gxL5_VZTWeN_Z5y4t9

Left 4 Dead 2 and Counter Strike: Source - Not really and full on TC's here, but the amount of mods that replace even something as minor as shell casings in CS:S mean you that combined you can make these games pretty much whatever you want. Check out sites like Gamebanana and Gamemaps and see what you like.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Sins of a Solar Empire has/had some great total conversion mods. My two favorites were Maelstrom (adds loads of new content- 3 new races, dozens of new techs and planet types) and Distant Stars (more of an extension- new high tier techs, longer games, better everything else). Unfortunately, neither has been updated for the current release of rebellion, so if you want to play them you'll have to do it on Trinity/Diplomacy.
There are also a bunch of great Crusader Kings 2 conversion mods. The most famous one is the GoT conversion (which is HUGE- every civilization and even mentioned in the books is playable) but I didn't like all of the changes it made. I personally preferred the Elder Kings (TES) conversion because it felt more like a natural extension of CK2. I'm not sure if they're updated for the most recent release though. Europa Universalis 4 also has a few good conversion mods, though the only one I'm familiar with is Veritas et Fortitudo (which has been going downhill lately IMO).

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
If youre a fan of space sims and feeling nostalgic, check out FS2Open. Its an open source version of Descent: Freespace 2, with engine upgrades. Its been a while since Ive checked it out, but if I recall, there were Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5 TCMs.