Best video game bosses of all time?

JustOneMoreHero

Apr 12, 2010
I've been playing a lot of classic games lately and realized that the boss battles in some of them are top notch stuff.

So, escapist readers, what are you top favorite boss battles (new or old)?
Why do you love them?

I'll start.

My number one favorite has to be Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid. I was playing it on my playstation 3 and instantly fell in love with this boss again. he moves your freakin' controller (too bad the memory card cant be read). The nostalgia was flowing through the veins of this game. I love it so.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
For some reason, I just love that fistfight you have with Liquid Snake at the end of Metal Gear Solid.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I will never tire of fighting him, he's way too epic and fun to fight. Bastard's hard too.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
Even though the 3d sonic games get a lot of well deserved crap shoveled on them, I do like the boss fights. Especially the Biolizard. Great music and a half decent challenge (even though the last phase is bullshit)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Tidal Wave and Starscream from the PS2 Transformers game are definitely up there, but the most awesome boss experience I've had was the 12th colossus from Shadow of the Colossus (you know, the flying serpent thingy).

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
I say again, Heartless Riku from the original Kingdom Hearts.

Bastard was harder than Sephiroth in KH2

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
All of the Metal Gear Solid bosses were awesome. [sub]Laugh and grow fat[/sub] But I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Cliff from Dead Rising

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
the final colossus from shadow of the colossus. in a nutshell "He was so big he wears a tower as a skirt." ohh and he shoots a beam out of his finger that takes out about 2/3 of your health and I made it to the top of him and fell off the first time I fought him.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Nathan Copeland from no more heros 2, I like him because he's the boss that made me laugh the hardest.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Shredder has always been one of my favorite video game bosses. He's what all other classic beat-em-up final bosses strived to be.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
i like the final boss for the old psone game the legend of dragoon...wasnt terribly hard but just pops up in my memory that it was awesome how many forms he had lol

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Azalahad from Wild ARMs. A tough fight, a competent villain from a group of bumblers, and a cool design.

I TOTALLY FUCKED UP THE SPELLING

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I might have to go with Gorl from the original Patapon. Maybe it was just the awesome music in the background, but the guy just seemed perfect despite having no more characterization or introduction than the game saying he's a two-faced demon prince (he ends up literally having two different faces) this gets even better when he goes down for the first time, you think you've won, and suddenly his chest turns into another face and he starts attacking again.

I might also have to say Drek or Doctor Nefarious from the Ratchet and Clank games for multistaged epicness, those were very well made. Clockwerk from Sly Cooper was awesome too, he was challenging, looked and sounded just like he should have, and just oozed that aura of almost-but-not-quite-invincible that everyone loves taking down. Also, for sheer creative effort, I'd have to say The Collector or Sheriff Zapata from LittleBigPlanet.

Edit: In retrospect, pretty much all of the bosses from the original Sly Cooper, if not the entire series, were awesome.

nightblade253

Dec 1, 2009
Anticitizen_Two said:
Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time.
I'd say that yes, Ganandorf was good in Ocarina, but if you want to talk about the zelda bosses, he was much better during the last fight in Twilight Princess.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Uhm gannon was a badass. The forsaken bird thing from windwaker was my fav though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Holy crap four Ganons in a row. I believe we might have a winn.... oh wait A NEW CHALLENGER HAS APPEARED!

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009

Your UFO's weapons cannot do enough damage to Kojira, you use the UFO to destroy as many buildings as possible to clear the battlefield. Then you land and take Kojira down with your ion grenades and disintegrator ray.

It doesn't even fight back, you chase it through the huge sandstorm it creates by flying low. The epic musical accompaniment helps.

Some mountains are climbed. Others are slain

This guy was just so much fun to fight, I loved using his bombs against him. It was so great to try to time every throw exactly to hit him in midair.