Best Video Game Menu Music

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
Mass Effect 1... Left me in awe...

Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith... I just like it...

Grand Theft Auto II... pure badass...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Dumbfish1 said:
civ 4
<youtube=Nb-jk6Ftx7o>
Man, I was going to post the Oblivion theme, but this one wins. I've never even played a Civ game past 2, aside from the demo of 5, yet that theme still brings me very close to tears every time I hear it. This is actually the first time I've heard this version of the song, instead of the version that won that award recently. It's still an incredible piece, but the instrumentation ties it more closely to the Civilization series. Definitely an instant classic.

I have to say, Baba Yetu aside, this theme really gets you pumped. And I just realized, in the process of posting this, that I've never listened to the whole thing. If it kept up the bombastic nature of the first little bit, which is where I always load my save file and get into the game, it would have been one of the best ever. As it stands, it doesn't compare to Morrowind's opening theme, let alone Baba Yetu.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Hookman said:
-snip-, but how about Yahtzee's version- Deus Ex. That is all.
Indeed. A funny trivia point I found out: Warren Spector, the designer of Deus Ex, initially didn't like Alexander Brandon's theme, but was persuaded to keep it anyway. When the game was released he realized the impact that the title music had. When that music hit me the first time I fired up the game it made the whole purchase worthwhile (As a bonus, the game was really good too.)

Well as of late it has to be the main theme of StarCraft 2. It's an amazing suite of re-imagined themes from the original coupled with some great new ones. I would pay to hear this performed live.
Awesome.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
Their has been some great ones such as Civ 4, Dragon age, New Vegas, Farenheit, but their's only one that stands out in my mind, and that is the Zone of the Enders menu theme.

If you hear this song, and you don't get shivers down your spine, there's something wrong with you.
Both of the PS2 entries in that series had some great music, assuming you don't cringe at the mere thought of Jpop. Even if you do, the decidedly non-jpop in game music was quite competent.

Just looking up this video has really rubbed salt in the wound that I'm still without a copy of this game. Curse you OPM for having that demo all those years ago, and darn you younger me for buying a copy of the original first, thinking if I liked it I could go back and buy the second one later. To this day, I've seen exactly one used copy of that game, while used copies of the first one actually turn up occasionally.

While we're covering games that had an intro video with a Jpop song attached, if you were one of the people who played Shogo back in the day, you're not going to forget the intro video to that any time soon.

I'm still pissed at Halflife for overshadowing this game to the point that the closest thing we're ever going to get to a continuation of the series is F.E.A.R., which is all but stated to take place a long time before, but in the same universe as Shogo. Seriously, the only thing Half Life did that this game didn't was make the game one gigantic level, and tell the story without cutscenese -- neither of which are necessarily as great as we tend to think they are. Heck, at least you could go into third person and judge your jumps better in the annoying jumping puzzle section toward the end of Shogo than you could in the annoying jumping section toward the end of Halflife. The fact that Shogo let you pilot giant freakin' robots didn't hurt either.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
One of the first things that really attracted me to Halo was the title theme.

Also, I'm not sure if this is going to really be the official Title Theme, but if not, I'm sure it'll be just as good.

A game with amazing music, terrible gameplay.

Onyx Oblivion said:
(giant video picture snip) Bitches don't know 'bout Jeremy Soule.
Honestly, a lot of his music after Total Annihilation sounds... well... good, but really "samey". Though he did a REALLY killer version of Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy VI.

BoredPixel

Jan 31, 2011
The fun thing with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is that the menu music is a random track from the soundtrack. So..

<spoiler=Amon Tobin - Hokkaido>
If that doesn't count though then I'd go with Starcraft's menu theme, partly because I can't think of anything else at the moment. But its good!

<spoiler=Starcraft OST Main Menu>

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009
I don't think it's been said yet, but the NBA Jam theme always gets me pumped.
That and somebody already ninja'd Fire Emblem.

Marmal4de

Apr 4, 2010

I used to love this theme as a kid and I still get reminded of it every once and a while.

He[]

Feb 8, 2011
Nothing beats Deus Ex in this category, as a few astute posters have already stated.

Dumbfish1

Oct 17, 2008
ultrachicken said:
Dumbfish1 said:
Captain Placeholder said:
Hookman said:
Deus Ex. That is all.
This. A thousand bajillion times this.
I prefer the new one.
<youtube=NbGiNrKo0VE>
That is not a part of the official Deus Ex Human Revolution OST, that was written by a fan.
Oh yes, thanks. I intended to link the one from the trailer, but put this one by accident. Fixed it now.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Dumbfish1 said:
civ 4
<youtube=Nb-jk6Ftx7o>
Best ever.

Tomb raider Angel of Darkness theme, Panzer Dragoon theme and World of Warcraft theme (the original, called Legends of Azeroth) come close in my list.