Best video game song ever made? Big boys leage: no favorites.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
CoCage said:
Man, this post is so full of gold I don't know where to begin. These are the kind of tracks that made me realize that we were at a point where game soundtracks are just as worth listening to as any other kind of music. Thanks for the heads up on Shinobi 3 btw, I thought he composed that one as well but I am mistaken. Still my favorite Shinobi OST in any case.

I didn't even know SFIII 3rd strike had it's own flavor like that. What an eye opener.

The coolest thing about all these is that they all really set the tone for the game. If I heard the Bayonetta song without knowing where it was from, I'm 100% sure the first thing that I'd be thinking about was Bayonetta after hearing it. I love the industrial metal woven with gothic tones in Devil May Cry. The Combichrist songs were the only redeeming feature for me in DmC.

I'm gonna have to crank a few of these on the way home from work tonight, thank you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JohnnyDelRay said:
CoCage said:
Man, this post is so full of gold I don't know where to begin. These are the kind of tracks that made me realize that we were at a point where game soundtracks are just as worth listening to as any other kind of music. Thanks for the heads up on Shinobi 3 btw, I thought he composed that one as well but I am mistaken. Still my favorite Shinobi OST in any case.

I didn't even know SFIII 3rd strike had it's own flavor like that. What an eye opener.

The coolest thing about all these is that they all really set the tone for the game. If I heard the Bayonetta song without knowing where it was from, I'm 100% sure the first thing that I'd be thinking about was Bayonetta after hearing it. I love the industrial metal woven with gothic tones in Devil May Cry. The Combichrist songs were the only redeeming feature for me in DmC.

I'm gonna have to crank a few of these on the way home from work tonight, thank you.
Glad you enjoy. It's good to make others happy.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
The irony would be, given that music is primarily interpreted through the use of mathematics, there is definitely a logic as to what would constitute ?good? and ?bad?. But at the same time it?s like equations for the soul, which can be consonant, dissonant, or any blend in between.

I think the ?best? would be simply that which most stimulates the mind, body and spirit at once.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
hanselthecaretaker said:
The irony would be, given that music is primarily interpreted through the use of mathematics, there is definitely a logic as to what would constitute ?good? and ?bad?.
That statement is incorrect. Most music may contain mathematical properties, but they are not a rigid rule set, certainly not one that permits objective determinations of quality. Musical experimenters have been pushing the bounds of ?music? forever and ?math? is not something they always regard. William Basinski accidentally birthed ?The Disintegration Loops? when trying to transfer some old recordings from magnetic tape to a digital format; the tapes were so old, that during the process, the ferrite from the magnetic tape started to crumble creating ever increasing stutters and gaps leaving a very moving and sad deterioration of once beautiful music over the course of several minutes, almost an hour at times. Or Steve Reich with compositions like ?It?s Gonna Rain? which is a simple loop of the phrase spoken by an evangelical pastor looped and layered at random intervals until the words lose all meaning and become a thought-provoking amalgamation of ambient tones. Last example, John Cage?s infamous ?4?33? which consist of, and I shit you not, a performer or performers of any instrument(s) sitting and not playing? for 4 minutes and 33 seconds; the ?music? is the ambient sounds of the environment, the creaking of chairs in the audience, the random cough or car horn outside, etc.

So no, there is no mathematical logic that objectively constitutes good or bad music.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Xprimentyl said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
The irony would be, given that music is primarily interpreted through the use of mathematics, there is definitely a logic as to what would constitute ?good? and ?bad?.
That statement is incorrect. Most music may contain mathematical properties, but they are not a rigid rule set, certainly not one that permits objective determinations of quality. Musical experimenters have been pushing the bounds of ?music? forever and ?math? is not something they always regard. William Basinski accidentally birthed ?The Disintegration Loops? when trying to transfer some old recordings from magnetic tape to a digital format; the tapes were so old, that during the process, the ferrite from the magnetic tape started to crumble creating ever increasing stutters and gaps leaving a very moving and sad deterioration of once beautiful music over the course of several minutes, almost an hour at times. Or Steve Reich with compositions like ?It?s Gonna Rain? which is a simple loop of the phrase spoken by an evangelical pastor looped and layered at random intervals until the words lose all meaning and become a thought-provoking amalgamation of ambient tones. Last example, John Cage?s infamous ?4?33? which consist of, and I shit you not, a performer or performers of any instrument(s) sitting and not playing? for 4 minutes and 33 seconds; the ?music? is the ambient sounds of the environment, the creaking of chairs in the audience, the random cough or car horn outside, etc.

So no, there is no mathematical logic that objectively constitutes good or bad music.
The rest of my post explained as much, but that last example is about as absurd as one could get. I?m all for experimenting but there?s a breaking point. If I went into an art gallery empty-handed with my palms open and said I was actually carrying a piece which I called ?Hidden Impressions?, which served to represent the irregular contours of my attire, all involved would be hard-pressed to avoid bursting into hysterical fits of laughter.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
hanselthecaretaker said:
Xprimentyl said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

The rest of my post explained as much, but that last example is about as absurd as one could get. I?m all for experimenting but there?s a breaking point. If I went into an art gallery empty-handed with my palms open and said I was actually carrying a piece which I called ?Hidden Impressions?, which served to represent the irregular contours of my attire, all involved would be hard-pressed to avoid bursting into hysterical fits of laughter.
Lol, yeah, Cage can be a bit out there (i.e.: he wrote a piece for organ that is currently being played in Germany and is slated to last 639 YEARS,) but as a lot of avant-garde music does indeed include found sounds and ambient noises, there is merit to the sounds of the world around us (the silent performers being more spectacle than functional parts of the experience;) Cage was just a little TOO far ahead of the curve.

Oct 22, 2011
How come no one posted this yet?

Dalisclock said:
Snake Eater from MGS3:Snake Eater.

Arguably the one of the best Bond Theme songs as well.
"Snake Eater" has to be one of the most iconic pieces of OST out there, and that coming from someone who didn't really play any Metal Gear games(except Rising) and thinks there are better songs in this franchise("The Best Has Yet to Come" for example).

As for Rising... You could probably post entire soundtrack here, but following the rules:
It Has To Be either this or Rules of Nature.

Last, but not at all least.
An 8-bit cover of an old russian folk song It also brought us a gem like this:

Feb 26, 2014
erttheking said:
OT: I never actually played Kingdom Hearts unless I was over a friends house, but this song is one that will never leave my head.

And here I thought I'd be the one to come in and suggest any of Utada Hikaru's Kingdom Hearts songs. Sanctuary is fantastic and easily my favorite of the Kingdom Hearts songs, but the more I listen to Don't Think Twice the more I love it.

Can't Stop Laughing as sung by The Joker