Best weapon customisation games.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
With Ghost Recon Future Soldier just out with its crazy Gunsmith mode I'm in a customising mood, even though I'm still not sure whether I wanna buy the game.

I've never seen anything comparable to GRFS Gunsmith before but some of the best customisations I've seen are in Army of two...Another great one is ME3...the weapon customisation in this is great.

So what then are in your opinion the games with the best weapon customising?

Molotov Cupcake

Aug 6, 2010
There aren't too many fab ones that come to mind, but I would suggest Borderlands, System Shock, Deus Ex, and Crysis 2. But I'm not sure that any of them would meet your criteria for best weapon customization. Borderlands is a shining example of a more watered-down modding system, though.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Molotov Cupcake said:
There aren't too many fab ones that come to mind, but I would suggest Borderlands, System Shock, Deus Ex, and Crysis 2. But I'm not sure that any of them would meet your criteria for best weapon customization. Borderlands is a shining example of a more watered-down modding system, though.
Borderlands doesn't allow customization though, you just loot different configurations of guns. It's not nearly the same thing.

Molotov Cupcake

Aug 6, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Molotov Cupcake said:
Borderlands doesn't allow customization though, you just loot different configurations of guns. It's not nearly the same thing.
Nah, it's definitely not modding in the vein of what the OP mentioned, but it came to mind since there are so many different guns available with varying attributes, it still scratches the same kind of itch -- for me, anyway.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Army of Two/ Army of Two 2?
You can bling out your guns and shit.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Hitman Blood Money? Could get some pretty cool custom stuff late game.

Can't remember if the other hitman games were the same.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I liked how STALKER: Call of Pripyat handled weapons and weapon upgrading, especially compared to the other games in the series. Just felt really well done and exceptionally well balanced; even the weapons you start with can be consistently deadly throughout the game so rather than just going with direct power in terms of weapon choice you could go with the ones that best suited your playstyle. Ammunition is also a concern, the cheaper guns might not be as good in terms of accuracy or stopping power but their ammunition is plentiful whereas some of the more exotic weapons can be a downright pain to keep loaded.

Adds a nice twist to the gameplay I think few other games can match. Sure you can import the most fancy and powerful gun in the world, but if you can't get ammunition for it what's the point?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Both Army of Two and its sequel, The 40th Day, have a surprising amount of customization when it comes to the guns. You can modify pretty much any aspect of them you can think of, even right down to goofy patterns and/or the material the gun is made of.

Nothing makes your terrorist foes shit their pants in fear more than a gun-toting badass with a bright pink gun to boot.

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
NBA2K series had the best character customization of all time. If you played them, you surely agree.

But weapons, I would say Army of Two. I liked the masks with the metaled and blinged out guns.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
Let us see, my vote would have to go to Ty the Tasmanian tiger 3: Night of the Quinqan- I think that is how it's spelt-.

Any way unlike the other two Ty games you don't just collect an armoies worth of special, though sometimes cheap, boomerangs. In that game you buy the rang's body and merely just swap out the power stones that you can equip to the rang's. You can make ones that blow up, freeze people, or that project a force field-ish thing around you.

The only other weapon customizer that I liked in a game was for Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, though there were only three weapons you could customize.

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
MGS4, ME3... especially MGS4. You could just load on the extras onto your guns. It was pretty great.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Legend of Mana. Okay, the weapons themselves will all look exactly the same, but you can choose from a lot of weapon types to use, and then once you get blacksmithing, you can forge thousands of different combinations of weapon skills, materials and so on.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Brink. As terrible as the game was, the gun customization was fantastic.

zephyron

Sep 27, 2011
Resonance of Fate. It is a very quirky JRPG that doesn't play like any JRPG before it, but between its niche appeal and its release coinciding with Final Fantasy XIII's, few have heard of it.

Not only is deciding how you wanted to customize interesting, the puzzle-like interface and the tools available makes doing the actual customization a blast. Here's an example of an end-game customized weapon:

Molotov Cupcake

Aug 6, 2010
I completely forgot about Brink. I think I borrowed it with the intent of cracking it open, played it once, and forgot it existed. Good one though.

LongDanzi

Nov 15, 2011
Ghost recon future solider, gunsmith is cool to use. at the start of each mission a spend at least 10 min. messing around with guns to see what I like