Best Weapons in Videogames

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Should have been titled "best weapons in old video games", I was expecting to find the portal gun and dubstep gun instead of those old pixel things.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Why not the Electrodriver? I mean, a gun that can shoot shurikens and lightning sounds far more awesome than some piddly minigun.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Quaxar said:
Should have been titled "best weapons in old video games", I was expecting to find the portal gun and dubstep gun instead of those old pixel things.
You kids get off my lawn!

-Old Man Escapist

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Quaxar said:
I second this post. In fact, Saints Row IV could probably fill this category on its' own with most of its' special weapons being simply hilarious.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The chaingun in Wolfenstein3D felt lackluster and dull. The BFG was powerful but the proces of firing it was uninteresting. I much prefered the shotgun in DOOM and also the rocket launcher.

Fun oldskool weapons that are sorely missing on this list are the grenade launchers from Quake and SS.

Raurik

Jun 12, 2008
Some potentially noteworthy mentions that would've made it on my list.

Dante has a guitar called Nevan that summons bats and lightning allowing him to shred enemies as he shreds riffs.

Painkiller had a gun that shot shurikens and lightning. I think everyone at Escapist is familiar with this one...

Not one Lightsaber of any kind was mentioned. I'd personally have gone with Zero's iconic saber-clone, the aptly named, Z-Saber for managing to be a fire sword, lightning sword, and ice sword all wrapped in one. That's pretty awesome.

The Twilight Bracelet from .Hack was pretty amazing. Who doesn't love Data Drain? I can think of a few Pokemon I would have loved to do that to back in the day. Stupid Alakazam...

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Slycne said:
Quaxar said:

-Old Man Escapist
Ok how about the "top ten classic firearms in games"? Would that get old man escapist to put away the vintage mingun pointed at our face?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I'm sorry, but there seems to be no mention of The Land Shark Gun.

How is that not better than at least half of these?

And don't even get me started on the World's Smallest Black Hole.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Quaxar said:
Except these guns were huge deals in their day and became ingrained in gaming culture to the point where even people who haven't played the original games have heard of them. That's what seperates them from the 120 million+ novelty toys in Saints Row IV that nobody will remember years from now.

And the portal gun isn't really a weapon.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
OlasDAlmighty said:
Quaxar said:
Except these guns were huge deals in their day and became ingrained in gaming culture to the point where even people who haven't played the original games have heard of them. That's what seperates them from the 120 million+ novelty toys in Saints Row IV that nobody will remember years from now.

Except this was titled "Best Weapons in Video Games" not most iconic or most recognized. Should the purpose of this gallery not be to show us awesome weapons that many people may not have heard of rather than show everybody stuff that they've already seen?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
Quaxar said:

It's a gun. That fires wubs. I don't think much else has to be said.
And I'd say the portal gun isn't any more or less a gun than the gravity one from Half-Life.

Anyway, my point was the title is misleading if it's about classics and incomplete if it's a general weapons list.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
No lightsabers, no chainsaws, no magnums of any sort. What kind of gallery is this?

And gunblades? Really?

Slycne said:

-Old Man Escapist
There's that old man again, ruining our fun.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I though it was called the BFG 9000 back in the first DOOM game. I recall Quake II coming out well before DOOM III, and the former had a BFG 10000!
As for iconic weapons, I'd put my vote for The Hidden Blade from the Assassin's Creed series.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
The Gunblade makes the cut? Really? The weapon seemingly deliberately designed to make it useless as both a gun and an sword. Its been done long before Final Fantasy ever existed and much more effectively to boot - its called a bayonet. Now the bayonets in Red Orchestra: Ostfront, they were pretty fun, satisfying weapons in a videogame.

Also wheres the love for the less direct action games? You didn't think that the genetic mutator, a weapon that turns enemy infantry units into The Hulk to fight for you isn't a neat concept? Yamato Cannons are just a bit passe? Magnetic satellites that drop the enemy's own aircraft carriers on his troops from orbit so very dull?

No Cerebral Bore, no Land Shark Gun, no .223 Pistol (or "That Gun"), no Blaster Launcher...

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
A fairly poor, uninteresting and poorly put together list.

The Golden Gun: Really? It is a "one shot, perfect accuracy, long refire time"-weapon. There are a plethora of these kinds of weapons in gaming. Just pointing out The Golden Gun is silly.

BFG: This one ain't good either. It was just the first "ridiculously powerful"-gun in fps gaming. Beyond that it has no really interesting characteristics. If you really wanted an interesting powerful weapon of this type, why not go for the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament. Usually hard to find, huge kill radius, instant death, controllable rocket, Slow speed, and possible to shoot down. See this is an interesting weapon.

Chain Gun: Another weird choice. Or at least weird that the focus would be on wolfenstein. The chain gun in all games it appears (or variants appear) it is always a solid choice. Had the focus been this type of weapon across all games I would agree. Otherwise... meh.

Gun Blade: ... I like gunblades... though lets be fair. It is not a weapon that makes a whole lot of sense.

A small sampling of weapons that were missed:

Plasma Cutter from Dead Space. It is rare that a starting weapon can be this effective for the entirety of the game and for it to be this much fun.

Force Gun also from Dead Space. For sheer effectiveness.

Magnet Gun from Red Faction Armageddon. Most fun you will have with a weapon since the Gravity Gun from Half Life 2

Head Hunter from Bulletstorm. Guided bullets.

Gravity Boots and Energy Leash combo also in Bulletstorm. You need to try them to understand.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
"The BFG is a very popular weapon in the Doom series, but in Doom 3 they kicked it up a notch with the BFG9000.
"

Actually it was called the BFG9000 in both games. It was called the BFG10K in Quake.

If you're going to go down the road of content spam top 10 lists Escapist, at least do your fucking research.