Best western RPG of the 00's?

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
joe90" post="9.259485.9788037 said:
I really liked Morrowind and Oblivion as they give you a sense of freedom that even the mighty fallout 3 lacked (made up for by the awesome in-jokes and overall dialogue, however). I think i put 250 hours into oblivion, and still hadn't progressed very far in the story![/quote

Personally i liked fallout 3 better simply because i really enjoyed the setting. I loved the concept of a major metropolitan society completely in ruins. For all of oblivions pros, the combat wasnt as satisfying and the setting was pretty unoriginal =P. atleast in oblivion you could get a mount though =P

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Probably Mass Effect 2,

It's the closest game I can think of that comes close to approximating the Table Top Gaming Experience in that it's one of the few games in which you can actually roleplay a character. Sure you're always playing Commander Shepard, Alliance Navy and Spectre in a mission to defeat The Reapers but Commander Shepard is YOUR character, YOUR badass space marine, you choose his/her words, actions and make the decisions you want that character to make... not only that these choices have impact in the story and things change in response to them.

If that's not proper "roleplaying" I'm not sure what is, it's a far deeper and truer experience than simply picking your class and deciding "No I'm good, I don't need a reward" and "I'm evil, gimme your money"

RetroViruses

Aug 7, 2008
TrevorGruen said:
The3Apocalypses said:
Morrowind, Morrowind, without a doubt, Morrowind. (Note: assuming mods are installed)
And I just sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of a good non-Bethesda (which are all good), non-Bioware (which I've never liked) Western RPG...I came up with Borderlands :/
Wester RPG means it came from a western devoloper (ex. NOT square enix). It doesnt necessarily have to have anything to do with "the wild west". PS: why is borderlands so popular? it was sooo boring! only reason i remember it fondly is that they were what got me interested in cage the elephant.
I know what a Western RPG is. However, I cannot think of a single good one not made by Bethesda (as I have yet to like a BioWare product). Borderlands is the best I can think of off the top of my head (excluding Bethesda).

Sep 14, 2009
well considering i have literally, and i mean literally, beaten kotor 1 in the 50-60+ range times..

knights of the old republic.

i literally never get tired of this game, i can play it vanilla or stacked on stacked with the hundreds of mods for it.

same goes for the sequel, if the sequel didn't have literally game breaking bugs, and wasn't rushed by lucasarts, it would easily beat out the first one.

those two games, probably rack up more than 600 hours worth of gametime, because when i play them i literally do everything and anything, especially with mods installed. (brotherhood of shadow and solomons revenge anyone? literally the longest mod i have ever played.)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn came out in 2000, so it wins by a landslide.

If you wanted something more recent however... hmm... I'd probably go with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Although buggy and full of glitches when it was first released and the combat is mediocre at best, as a role playing experience it's far beyond most other games to have been released in the past few years. Although you followed a linear story progression, the sheer number of options when it comes to how and why were mind boggling and interacting with other characters in the game was a genuine joy. Plus it's also one of those few games where the group you choose to join at the start of the game can have a massive effect on how the story plays out.

You'll still meet the same NPC, but how they react to you, your dialogue options, and even the stories they tell can be sometimes entirely different depending on which clan you choose at the start of the game as well as how you've played thus far.

And did I mention how much fun it was to meet and interact with new characters? Pure bliss. Most rpg are all about statistics and leveling up, Bloodlines is one of the few which made it more about interacting with others and actually, you know, playing a role within the games world. And I like that!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
TrevorGruen said:
While reading the Best JRPGs of the last 10 years forum (made by Joe90, check it out) i thought, well i dont really enjoy JRPGs often, what about the converse, the WRPGs? These seem more common and more popular in general (especially if Yahtzee is the everyman =D) and have a bit more range. So what was the best Western rpg of the last decade?

For me: Fallout 3
Runners Up: Dragon Age origins, mass effect 2, oblivion, champions return to arms,fallout NV.
Baldur's Gate 2, hands down. By far the greatest game ever made, and since it was released in 2000, it's the best game of the 00's.

Runners-up include Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Fallout New Vegas, Knights of the Old Republic, and Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
Ummm... Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivions. I've logged 500 hours in it, and I still like picking up for short games now and then.

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Dragon Age: Origins
3. Jade Empire

I have a thing for Bioware (though I haven't played through KOTOR yet). I own Bloodlines:Masquerade, but I rolled into the "lunatic" clan or whatever and I never could understand my dialogue options. It was all nonsense. I almost don't consider Fallout 3 a "role-playing" game because I never really feel like my character has any personality, and I don't get involved in it. Don't get me wrong though, I loved faffing about in the wasteland.

Orange Lazarus

Jun 3, 2009
Oh Fallout 3 for sure, the humor aspect put it above Oblivion. Wait what...? KOTOR came out when?!

I have no sense of time.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
TrevorGruen said:
theComposer said:
TrevorGruen said:
While reading the Best JRPGs of the last 10 years forum (made by Joe90, check it out) i thought, well i dont really enjoy JRPGs often, what about the converse, the WRPGs? These seem more common and more popular in general (especially if Yahtzee is the everyman =D) and have a bit more range. So what was the best Western rpg of the last decade?

For me: Fallout 3
Runners Up: Dragon Age origins, mass effect 2, oblivion, champions return to arms,fallout NV.
Could you put a link to the JRPG thread? Also, I think I know which JRPG you picked given your avatar (good choice btw). =P

OT: I'm gonna say the Mass Effect series, because I can't pick one or the other. Both were great games, but there are some things that I like and dislike in one game over another. Together as a series though, and Mass Effect is no contest for WRPG of the decade.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.259410-Poll-what-do-you-think-the-best-JRPG-of-the-last-10-years-was?page=2#9787779

Thats the JRPG poll, but crap i forgot the world ends with you. That was the best one =P.
PS: never got to play mass effect 1 as a ps3 owner, but i do have 2 on ps3 (damn games industry, charging me 60 bucks for a game thats been out for PC and 360 for over a year!
Trust me, you won't be disappointed. If you put the time into it that it deserves, you will definitely like it. Even Yahtzee said that it had a great story.

OT: For me it would have to be Mass Effect 1. It had much more of an RPG element in it and I personally thought the story and characterization were much, much better in the first one.

Runners up would be either ME2, KOTOR, or Fallout 3. Eh, I would even consider Stalker to be somewhat RPG-ish so that's also in the runner up section.

Catinks

May 29, 2010
why do people all go "fallout 3, fallout 3" it was crap, to get the full experience out of it you had to, not only, buy the game but then turn around and cough up 50 or so extra bucks to get all the dlc which (probably) adds only 3-4 extra hours of gameplay, hell i dont like it becaue the original campaign only went for 5-6 hours, i finished it in an afternoon...

also, for me, it would have to be the original Neverwinter Nights (which, according to wikipedia, was released in 2002 so it counts) not so great graphics, good gameplay, BRILLIANT WONDERFUL MAGICAL ORGASMIC STORY, and thats why i liked it and its also the reason nwn2 was a big disappointment

runner-up, mass effect series, no i mean both of them

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Kotor 1 and 2, I liked Borderlands for the gameplay, sure as hell not the story....
But basically everything by Bioware....

Edager6882

Dec 21, 2010
Dragon Age take first prize for me. No game has kept me excited about its story since Planescape: Tomrent.

Runners up: Morrowind, Oblivion and the Mass Effect series. Oh and don't forget about about Deus Ex.

Orange Lazarus

Jun 3, 2009
Well to be fair, if we're counting 2010, we can't count 2000. So make up your mind, New Vegas or Deus Ex.

[edit] the choice is obvious.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Dungeon Siege #1

Such a grand game, especially for LAN since zonematch was cut.

(I will admit my opinion is bias as of late :p )