Best Written Stories in Gaming

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Pumpkin_Eater said:
System Shock 2 is a must play for any story aficionado.

Internet Kraken said:
Use the search bar.
Because mucking through 7 pages of old posts looking for the spot where new ones start is awesome amirite?
Yeah. It's so hard to get to the new posts. Even though logically, the new posts will be at the end of the thread.

But that's not even a valid complaint. Old comments are no less important than new ones.
Wouldn't complain if it weren't a pain in the ass.

They are if I've already read them. A month ago. Not to mention that week and months old posts with updated OPs get when there's a new development because of the search button trolls, putting several separate, semi related discussions in the same damn thread.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Despite what people are about to tell me, I think that Halo while not the most original was very well presented and very nicely handled. It understood the point of epic storytelling. It had a lot of subtle litereary and religeous and even a few historical referances throughout and the point where you play as the Arbiter.. genius.

It's kind of sad when people just dumb it down to 'evil aliens, good guy humans and eventually some of the aliens join humanity'. This is especially annoying when they then Half Life 2 as better story which I find amusing as Half Life 2 is about hey good guy humans verses evil aliens, in which some aliens join humanity.

Also on the list obviously are Bioshock, surprisingly Oblivion, Mass Effect.. I'm tempted to say gears of War but I'm skating on thin ice as it is, besides I like the setting more. there are some others but I can't think of them right now.

p.s Portal wasn't an amazing story, evil computer kills everyone in lab then tries to kill you by tricking you with cake? Portal's fun but come on....

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Griever18 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics.
Yes, oh, dear Jesus Christ I love that game. But, XII was a shitstain of a story. VIII was not much of a bad story either, just a little slow and melodramatic.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Teiraa said:
RAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH Does NO ONE remember Legend of the Dragoon at all?????????? That game had a awesome original story that i havent seen any repeats of
That game made dragoons (I still am not sure WHAT those are, but still awesome) and wings freaking sweet. But, I really didn't get Rose being the monster that destroyed the town. They lost after that. Castlevania: symphony of the night had a simple but well executed story as well. (Can someone PLEASE tell me WHAT a dragoon ACTUALLY is?)

RAKais

Jan 14, 2009
bickster said:
I have been around the block and have come into gaming where I just play them to really enjoy the story behind it. I find gameplay these days becoming bland and the same,but sometimes stories are just very good. What does everyone feel are some of the best storylines in a game they have ever played. Any genre can count, personally I like these stories

1. Final Fantasy XII
2. Grandia III
3. Killzone (series 1 & 2)
4. Pokemon (ya I know, but it had a nice simple story)
5. Chrono Trigger

Now I haven't played all games out there, this is just a couple I really enjoyed.
Killzone? *raises one big eyebrow* I respect your opinion but maybe you should have put the title as Favourite Written Stories in gaming?? Because Killzones is nothing special.I do agree with you on Final Fantasy 12. I liked how Vaan ended up not being the central character and it became more on focusing on everyone than just the lead.

Mine would be:

Assassin's Creed
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Halo Series
I'm tempted to put Half Life 2 because I was playing it earlier but now I think about it, it's story is just above par (even if it has awesome Dog in it... why couldn't he come into Ravenholm WITH YOU ¬_¬)
Prototype
I am joking about the above one.
The Darkness

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
There's only one answer outside the realm of RPGs and JRPGs for this, and that is Halo. Before anyone starts, take a look at the backstory. The Halo series has the largest EU I've ever seen in any media outside Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Warhammer. Honestly, I have to say Halo wins this thread straight away.

balinus

Feb 3, 2009
Silent Hill 2. Completely riveting. I love how every little visual detail down to the shape of the monsters seemed to tell a story about James' fragmented psyche. Eddy seemed a bit slapped on. But apart from that, it's the most compelling story I've come across in a video game for a long time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hmmm...

Grandia 2 had fantastic writing. As did G1. G3 let the ball drop.

Chrono Cross had a fantastic story, with its only real issue being people to blind to realize how superior its tale was to Trigger.

Wild Arms 1 and 2 had fantastic stories, with 3 being above average, but lacking the same punch those 2 had.

Lost Odyssey is quite amazing, too. My only gripe being the terribly paced battle system that ensured that I gave up at the final dungeon due to the fact that I'd already seen all of the dream sequences. At least other turn based games gave you some variety in the battles. Not that game, though. And you had to watch that stupid ring all the fucking time, too!

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
1.Mass Effect
2.Metal Gear Solid Series
3.Max Payne
4.Bioshock
5.Resident Evil Series

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
The Myst series before Uru had a fantastic story - every world you could go to was linked to the development of the characters.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
wait wait wait, KZ is on your list?? I love KZ2, but not for its story... oh wells lol

I loved Valkyria Chronicle's story :)

MaxRaine

May 1, 2008
Wild ARMs has a great story, wish that Alter Code F would have gotten an European release =( Though what I mostly love Wild ARMs for is the awesometastic music =)

I remember thinking that Vandal Hearts 2 had the best story I had ever seen... but I can't remember the tiniest bit of it... and my copy of the game got lost many years back =/

Suikoden 1, 2 and 5 all have great stories as well, especially 2, 3 was never released in Europe and 4 was meh overall.