Bethesda announces Mod Support Open Beta for Fallout 4

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, as much as I really want to finally be able to use mods on my Xbox One, I have no doubt in my mind that this is going to be a buggy mess for the first few months at least, so I can wait a little longer.
HybridChangeling said:
I'll stick with the Nexus, thank you. I feel a sense of dread realizing all the fan made stuff having to go through their filter, as well as it becoming the only place to go (In their dreamland) for mods. I understand a monopoly is safer then a risky competitive market but monopoly's breed EAs and Comcasts.
It doesn't help that the sole purpose of a large chunk of the mods that have already been made is to make your character and NPCs look as sexy as possible. It's undeniable that the majority of those, if not all of them, wouldn't make it through their filters.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

Call me paranoid, but I have a sinking feeling this is the first step in re-implementing that paid mod BS they tried to pull on us last year. I can't imagine they'd allow for mods based on existing IPs due to copyright issues, which means no lightsabers, ponies, anime waifus, bolters, Zoidberg crabs, Randy Savage Deathclaws, or any number of total conversions. Nude mods are out of the question, lest they incur the wrath of soccer moms everywhere. You can forget graphical upgrades as well, as consoles likely won't have the horsepower to support them.

Also, are they seriously trying to claim the Fallout 4 Creation Kit is this wonderful new thing they just came up with? You know, the same type of editing program they bundled with the PC version of Morrowind fourteen freaking years ago?

I know, I know, I sound like a bitter, jaded cynic. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and my fears are unfounded, but I've seen the triple-A game industry screw over the modding scene far too often for me to be optimistic about this.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Neverhoodian said:

Call me paranoid, but I have a sinking feeling this is the first step in re-implementing that paid mod BS they tried to pull on us last year. I can't imagine they'd allow for mods based on existing IPs due to copyright issues, which means no lightsabers, ponies, anime waifus, bolters, Zoidberg crabs, Randy Savage Deathclaws, or any number of total conversions.
EXACTLY. Even though it's a game that thrives on geek fandom and references at points, if WE do it, it's bad. All the fun stuff will no longer be available(licenced weapons, fandom based mods, . Fallout Who Vegas, a 3 year mod that added the TARDIS and tons of other stuff won't be allowed. If anyone knows what Hasbro has been up to lately, you can see how fan involvement in "Official" things go. Even then, stuff "too close" to DLC might be taken down. When and if they become the main source, they make all the rules. At that point whats the point of trying? I've been making mods for about a year and this completely disheartens me and makes me want to not even bother with Fallout 4. For all I know that may be their goal, considering how long it has taken to upload a GECK already finished in 2011 but with guns.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Blacklight28 said:
We'll see how this pans out, but I got a bad feeling about this... I smell paid modding on the horizon.
Valve tried that and it didn't work, anyone who tries to charge for mods is in for a bad time.
Paid mods aren't necessarily a bad thing, but Bethesda's problem is that they already have an established mod community.

You can't just move into a community that has thrived without outside assistance for over a decade and think that they're going to want corporate interests involved in their mods. Things might be different if someone started a mod community from scratch (which is what Valve did) and went from there, but the Bethesda mod community is going to fight changes tooth and nail.

Sep 14, 2009
slo said:
gmaverick019 said:
......................okay, and?

Where in the hell did this come from. You're obviously carrying a backpack of salt here, am I unaware, did CD projekt say they were going to release the "redkit" for the witcher 3 or something? There must be more back story to this, and why it was even mentioned in this thread to begin with.
I believe you would need some kind of official paper to have the right to examine my motivations, and another one to judge if they are appropriate.
what's the point of posting about it in a discussion board then? This isn't some cheesy jrpg where we can say edgy quotes and be mysterious with no logic to it, unless you wield a big ass buster sword day to day, then touche.

on topic our posts pretty much align in agreement, so I'm not sure why there is this needless friction.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So basically no mods for Fallout 4? because i sure as hell am not going to use thier shitty service.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Blacklight28 said:
We'll see how this pans out, but I got a bad feeling about this... I smell paid modding on the horizon.
Valve tried that and it didn't work, anyone who tries to charge for mods is in for a bad time.
No. Bethesda tried it with valves help. Remmeber that the paid mods fiasco was because Bethesda wanted to make paid mods for skyrim and get money for something they had no hand in doing.

AccursedTheory said:
Anyone else waiting for the other shoe to drop?
Yep. They wont anounce it instantly though, they want to lul in the userbase.

Fijiman said:
It doesn't help that the sole purpose of a large chunk of the mods that have already been made is to make your character and NPCs look as sexy as possible. It's undeniable that the majority of those, if not all of them, wouldn't make it through their filters.
without access to the files the skin change mods are easiest to make so no wonder those are whats coming out before the modkit since bethesda has been arrogant enough to not release the modkit with the launch.