Bethesda: Don't Install Doom 3 BFG Edition on Xbox 360

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
F said:
Oh Bethesda, how you brighten our world with your inability to make even the simplest technology go your way. Perhaps you should get games tested before they're released..then fix them.
This.

Makes you wonder how the fuck they stay in business with such legendarily shitty Q&A (as in non-existent).

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
PC/Steam version should be ok then, right? Been interested to try this out. Ehh, I should probably get Doom II, first before buying this reboot.

Captcha: "Get DISH Now". Well, ok. Guess I'll drop my DirecTV and do that while I'm waiting, with the bad capitalization included!

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
OK seriously I love Bethesda and all BUT! How do you fuck this up? Does every-single-fuking-thing you put out have to be bugged to fuck on day one!? Is it company policy that your software must be nipple tearing frustrating for several months until you wheel out a patch? It's a simple question.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
mad825 said:
1.Why is this news coming from an obscure website? Why isn't it on their blog?
2.Why is there no performance benefits when installed onto the HDD? Disk access is faster via HDD than CD/DVD disc.

So many questions, so little answers.
I was also going to point out that the extended life on a CD drive by not using is is barely negligible[footnote]Assuming a non-defective CD Drive. Sorry for the jab to consoles, but the X-Box doesn't have a good history with CD Drive QA.[/footnote] but these are also good points, considering that the Xbox's RAM probably couldn't contain the entire game. This is Doom3 after all...

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a Hoax.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ranorak said:
Double Post.

Is playing from the disk really that bad?
I mean, I never installed a game on the harddisk, besides Battlefield 3.

Now, how much better would installing games be for my console, or performance for that matter?

Is it just loading times, or will I see some improvements in other areas as well?

The 360 disc drive is "scary fast". Like 27,000 RPM. It's a moving piece that is capable of failing, and if it does, there's not a whole lot you can do. I've had 2 disc drives go, and the 360s needed to be replaced, so my policy these days is "don't play it unless it's installed". Although I would break that rule in cases like these, where the game is better uninstalled.

As for performance, i haven't noticed too much in the way of improved performance since instituting this policy, but the disc drive is still responsive, and the system as a whole runs a lot smoother (although some games like Skyrim load a lot of data off the disc, so even installed, the disc drive runs for 5-10 minutes after starting playing)

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Altorin said:
Ranorak said:
Double Post.

Is playing from the disk really that bad?
I mean, I never installed a game on the harddisk, besides Battlefield 3.

Now, how much better would installing games be for my console, or performance for that matter?

Is it just loading times, or will I see some improvements in other areas as well?

The 360 disc drive is "scary fast". Like 27,000 RPM. It's a moving piece that is capable of failing, and if it does, there's not a whole lot you can do. I've had 2 disc drives go, and the 360s needed to be replaced, so my policy these days is "don't play it unless it's installed". Although I would break that rule in cases like these, where the game is better uninstalled.

As for performance, i haven't noticed too much in the way of improved performance since instituting this policy, but the disc drive is still responsive, and the system as a whole runs a lot smoother (although some games like Skyrim load a lot of data off the disc, so even installed, the disc drive runs for 5-10 minutes after starting playing)
Ah nuts, my Harddrive is full with games from XBox-marketplace.
Probably a good time to consider upgrading from my 60GB to a bigger one.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
getoffmycloud said:
F said:
Oh Bethesda, how you brighten our world with your inability to make even the simplest technology go your way. Perhaps you should get games tested before they're released..then fix them.
But then we would miss out on all the fun it wouldn't be a Bethesda game if it didn't all go horribly wrong at some point.
To be honest I do enjoy stuff like this.

But I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. ha

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
So why won't it run from the HDD? Did they purposely lock that out?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
All hail miscrosofts need to control everything.

P.S. capcha tells me to take an umbrella, flame shield?

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Sylveria said:
Why would you want to play Doom on a console anyway?
Since there is no vertical aim or crouching, I don't see the difference between WASD and an analog stick.

But then again, there are dozens of GLDoom, ZDoom mods available on PC that add a plethora of options and I think you can download the entire first episode of Doom 1 for free, version 1.666 if I recall.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
F said:
Oh you silly billy! THAT would require the gaming industry to go back to treating game testers like human beings instead of Foxcom day laborers.
It would also require them to actually test games, which is (amazingly) even less likely.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Doom972 said:
Sylveria said:
Especially when it's overpriced, and doesn't (to my knowledge) allows the use of custom wads.
I'm willing to bet that all owners of this game have a computer (Windows PC, Linux PC, Mac - doesn't matter) that can run Doom I & II and make it look and sound much better.

Note that this game is published by Bethesda, and not developed by their developer studio that made the Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. This game was developed by id Software. That's just sad.
I might get it, which means its for my 360. My favourite part of these comments was the whole 'Doom 1 and Doom 2 looking better on PC' Those games look like ass no matter what, they are for complete carnage not staring at walls and complaining about washed out textures.
Techncally you are right I do own a PC but I won't be getting Doom on it.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
cotss2012 said:
Sylveria said:
Presumably for the same reason why they'd play any other first-person shooter on a console: they don't know any better because they've never tried it on the vastly superior PC.
It was quite difficult hearing your putrid comments from all the way up your lofty tower.

OT: I think I'll still install it, I already have Doom I & II anyway.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Doom972 said:
Sylveria said:
Especially when it's overpriced, and doesn't (to my knowledge) allows the use of custom wads.
I'm willing to bet that all owners of this game have a computer (Windows PC, Linux PC, Mac - doesn't matter) that can run Doom I & II and make it look and sound much better.

Note that this game is published by Bethesda, and not developed by their developer studio that made the Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. This game was developed by id Software. That's just sad.
I might get it, which means its for my 360. My favourite part of these comments was the whole 'Doom 1 and Doom 2 looking better on PC' Those games look like ass no matter what, they are for complete carnage not staring at walls and complaining about washed out textures.
Techncally you are right I do own a PC but I won't be getting Doom on it.
Actually, on a PC you can get Doom "ports" - alternative game engines that enhance the graphics and sound and make the games much better looking and sounding. All you need is to have the original Doom games' .wad files.