Bethesda: New Vegas Dev Is Wrong About Skyrim's PS3 Lag

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Spaec said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Its funny that the exact same bugfix (By a modder) for the lag worked in both New Vegas and Skyrim. All it needed was pretty much a namechange and it worked, aka. They run on a very similiar engine, very similar tech. So, ehm... Hines is probably lying, not sure what he is standing to gain from it though, ego boost?
"VP of PR and Marketing" <- There's why. It's his job to make the company look good.
Exactly. I used to hang around on the BethSoft forums and Sawyer would post every now and again during the development of NV and he was always pretty damned forthright. He listened to people and really cared about his game. I mean I don't know Hines, I don't. Hell I don't know Sawyer. But one has been seen caring for a game and understanding it, as well as the gamers. The other is a damn PR guy. Which one am I more likely to believe?

Anyway it makes logical sense, the PS3 is a DIFFERENT system, it is radically different from the PS2 as well as the Xbox and PC (which are closer to eachother). There's always going to be this problem, the PS3 is just different, unless you have serious experience with it or use it as your primary platform odds are it's going to have issues.

I love my PS3, do not get me wrong. It's just not easy on the devs, Xbox may be less fun once you get to know them both but it's a lot easier. It's like choosing between a pretty damn hot date who puts out on the first night and a smoking hot one who chews your wallet up and then only puts out after a few months. Most people are going to go for the former.
Yes that was a terrible analogy.

PlasticLion

Nov 21, 2009
So yesterday I bought New Vegas for $20 US. First thing first: Bethesda, you can rely on Kmart not to violate your release dates, as the sticker on my copy still said,"Do not sell before 10/19/10."

If NV is just glitchy after a whole year, I still think I'll get 20 bucks worth of fun out of it. If save files and storage space still get corrupted, then I'll have 20 bucks worth of egg on my face.

Next year, I'll either be buying Skyrim for $20 because it's still glitchy or for $60 with at least one expansion pack included. Since I'm lazy and I won't want to post a similar comment like this next year, I'll just imbed a future link to an Escapist article that will be published on 11/oh lets say 15/12:

"Fallout 4: Cubiami is Full of Glitches"

Hey! Why can't I futurehyperlink on this site?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Has anyone ever paid any attention to anything Hines has said ever? The man is the VP of BS and marketing. He couldn't tell you what he had for breakfast without lying about the type of jam he put on his toast.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
If we needed any more evidence that the haters are biased against reality, see how they took the FO:NV dev's word as fact, even though he did not work on Skyrim, and they refuse to believe the correction by people who actually did work on it.

Meanwhile I've been playing +100 hours with no issues. Listen to actual players, not haters that parrot and exaggerate news stories that cater to the overused bugs meme.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm pretty sure that it's Hines who is talking out of his ass here. If Sawyer was wrong, why don't you tell us what was right, Mr. Hines? Oh, but you didn't. You lied about using a new engine instead. Sure, you're calling it Creation now, but underneath that shiny wrapping paper is that same GameByro garbage that's always been there.

isometry said:
If we needed any more evidence that the haters are biased against reality, see how they took the FO:NV dev's word as fact, even though he did not work on Skyrim, and they refuse to believe the correction by people who actually did work on it.
What correction? This guy didn't work on the game either, and all he said was basically "ur rong lol".

You want to talk about evidence? How about this evidence?

Its funny that the exact same bugfix (By a modder) for the lag worked in both New Vegas and Skyrim. All it needed was pretty much a namechange and it worked, aka. They run on a very similiar engine, very similar tech. So, ehm... Hines is probably lying, not sure what he is standing to gain from it though, ego boost?

Mind you this was on PC, but I bet the PS3 uses a whole different engine than the pc -sarcasm-

Or the more possible option, the PR manager doesnt have shit on a developer in terms of the know-how in terms of actual developement.
Yeah, I think I'm going to listen to actual evidence instead of a PR guy who's supposed to make the game sound good, even if it means lying. But hey, if I needed any more evidence that the fanboys are biased against reality, see how they took the PR guy's word as fact, even though he did not work on Skyrim, and they refuse to believe the statements by people who actually did work on the same engine. ;)

Skyrim is crap and so is Bethesda for releasing said crap knowing that it wouldn't run properly. That's all it boils down to for me. I have no respect for that company anymore.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
mjc0961 said:
What correction? This guy didn't work on the game either, and all he said was basically "ur rong lol".

You want to talk about evidence? How about this evidence?

Mind you this was on PC, but I bet the PS3 uses a whole different engine than the pc -sarcasm-

Or the more possible option, the PR manager doesnt have shit on a developer in terms of the know-how in terms of actual developement.
Yeah, I think I'm going to listen to actual evidence instead of a PR guy who's supposed to make the game sound good, even if it means lying.
Unsourced anecdotal "evidence", I haven't even heard of anyone getting slowdown on PC, so there isn't anything for the mod patch to fix. It's just a placebo patch.

mjc0961 said:
But hey, if I needed any more evidence that the fanboys are biased against reality, see how they took the PR guy's word as fact, even though he did not work on Skyrim, and they refuse to believe the statements by people who actually did work on the same engine. ;)
The joke doesn't quite work, because even though the PR guy didn't personally work on the game, he gets his information from the people who did, not from working on a different game at a different studio that used an earlier version of the same engine.

Also, I don't really have to believe either one of them because I've personally been playing the game a lot and having none of these issues, neither are any of my friends, so I know first-hand that the issues on PC are rare and blown out of proportion.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
On the PC to address these issues we would things like large address aware mods, and clutter free mods, or tweak the .ini to have a larger cell buffer and then use script to clear the cell buffer more often making it use less memory by keeping less cells in memory.

Sadly can't do that on console as user though, so it's on Bethsoft to come up with a fix. And even PC users can't use the script yet because we don't have the creation kit until January.

So we're all in the same sinking ship just that PC players have a roll of duct tape at hand to let us sink a little bit slower.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
When asked if Sawyer's claims "scare" Bethesda, Hines responded in the negative. "No, it isn't true," he said. He brings up issues we solved long ago."
Or you know... not. Since the current engine still lags like hell at times and anyone with a working pair of eyes can see it. I think somebody at Bethesda is just concerned that the obvious statement, that "No Mr. Hines, it seems you DID NOT fix those issues", might adversely effect their ability to sell their new engine to prospective client developers.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I totally called this.

The way he described the problem seemed completely unrelated to what I had experienced in game ie. Items and areas reset, on the PC version at least. 210 hours in and I experience 0 lag.

I stand by my view that the reset/cleanup isn't working properly on the PS3 or isn't set to be often enough at least.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
It's cool man, also do this quest if you want a Grand or Black soul gem that never breaks: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Black_Star

Really makes enchanting easy, just soul trap bandits and forsworn.
Yes, and what makes it doubly embarrassing is that my enchanting is at 100 (as of yesterday) and I have the black star (which is very handy).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
"Oh, yes, we fixed the issues all of you are still experiencing... yes... a long time ago, in fact."

.... Seriously? The "New Vegas" developer has been the most helpful person in this entire debacle, and they call him a lair while, mind you, lying between their teeth.

Classy.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
isometry said:

Meanwhile I've been playing +100 hours with no issues. Listen to actual players, not haters that parrot and exaggerate news stories that cater to the overused bugs meme.
The thing is the guy refuting the bug can't be fixed is in charge of public relations, not a developer for the company. So in essence it's two people saying something about a bug on an engine that neither of them worked on.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
I don't buy what Hines is selling here, but as it happens I'm playing Skyrim on PS3 and haven't experienced any severe lag since the patch. I'm just going to count my blessings here.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Fact 1: Fallout 3 GoTY and Fallout NV with DLC installed can not be completed on PS3, as they're broken and were never fixed. Actually, it's ridiculous that F3 GoTY for PS3 is being sold at all. It should be considered a fraud.
Fact 2: Hines outright lied about PS3 version prior to release.

Now, apply logic... Ta-da: they will never fix the game and now lie to get away with it.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well then let me ask you this Mr. Hines;

Why didn't you or anyone else at Bethesda explain why these problems occured in the past and are still occuring?

Why should J. E. Sawyer have to explain a problem with your engine when asked and then you just shoot him down because he's trying to help people?

I don't see you helping anyone.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
I fail to see how a patch 'works' for some users and not for others. It's the same code for everyone. The unknown variable is always the user's game save.

So if some users are still experiencing ridiculous lag (mine rears its ugly head on PS3 about 1 hour after booting the game now) that means the patch didn't work.

The fact that it was out so quickly and gave only a mild respite for a minority means it clearly addressed problems Bethesda knew were there from the outset.

As for it being a 'new' engine.. everyone knows that's a crock. It might have been adapted but built from the ground up? Not a chance, you only have to play the game for 5 minutes to realise it's basically the same as Gamebryo

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
If they're using a different engine, why are some issues perfectly duplicated in it?