Bethesda: No More Remasters in the Elder Scrolls Series

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
let's say they want to remaster Morrowind.
the have to:
1. redo all the models and textures pretty much from the ground up.
2. redo all the voices
3. do all the voice acting
4. redo all the outdated mechanics and gameplay choices
5. add in all the streamlined things.
6. do a FUCKLOAD of bug fixes (its Bethesda so they won't do this one)
and it gets even harder with arena and Daggerfall

soooo..... they make a new game. and it won't have the problem of being compared with the original one. it's easier. its less risky.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Hard to believe that a 2011 game that sold more than 11 million copies doesn't have a sequel yet. I hope they've been taking their time and using new technologies to make a TES VI game that will knock our socks off. And maybe be a bit less buggy.

Though a not buggy Bethesda game may be the herald of the end of times.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Of course they won't be doing any more remasters - that would require actual work. You can't half-ass it with a game as old as Oblivion, much less with Morrowind, not like they did with Skyrim...

Apr 5, 2008
"So remastering it and bringing it to this gen wasn't a ton of work"

That is essentially the reason for every bloody remaster of last gen games on now gen consoles. They open their toolsets, click File -> Export -> Xbox One and make more money. I'm oversimplifying the process, but this really is the reason that so many last gen games are simply being repackaged for this gen. Little work needed, make money since MS and Sony wouldn't keep backward compatibility. Oblivion and Morrowind would require actual work, and that costs money, so that's why we won't see them.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
RealRT said:
Ahem. Morrowind was the one where Bethesda started to streamline, not Oblivion.
Technically, yes, but what it sacrificed was arguably well worth it (particularly, and obviously, the inventive, varied, and richly detailed handcrafted world). What was gained by the sacrifices with Oblivion? Better visuals? Slightly better - if still fairly poor and empty-headed - combat?

Oblivion was the mass market cultural shift, and it started the journey that ended with Fallout 4 - ostensibly an anti-RP RPG.
A lot has been lost in Morrowind compared to Daggerfall: languages, banking system and owning homes, mounts, different kinds of speech your character can be proficient at.
More varied dialog and more memorable NPCs, for once. Yeah, I just f[bleep!]king went there, because NPCs in Morrowind are all the same and only a handful have at least one character trait you can tell them apart by. Each NPC in Oblivion has at least one line unique to them and only them, that shortly defines their character and justifies them being named. The dialog in Morrowind is overwritten and boring, Planescape: Torment this game was not and Oblivion only improved it by keeping it concise and to the point and relegating lore to the in-game books. Faction quests were better with actual storylines to them. Immersion was better with NPCs actually having, you know, schedules and moving about on their business instead of standing in place, waiting for you to barge in. Combat, while not the stuff of dreams and not holding a candle to something like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, was still far, far greater than Morrowind, because this time you felt like you had actual agency over what happens. Alchemy wasn't broken. Pickpocketing actually bloody worked in Oblivion. The journal wasn't a complete and utter mess that required you to install a paid addon to fix. Fast traveling was actually convenient - less immersive perhaps, but far more convenient and actually fast (and don't you dare tell me you had zero problems when you needed to go back to Tel Uvirith; Mark and Recall are not the answer because they only work on a single place and there are lots of quest-related places right in the middle of nowhere). Then again, on-foot travel is also far better in Oblivion because you don't start out with a speed of a pregnant slug.

Morrowind is a good game. I beat it around three or four times. Beat Tribunal two or three times. Beat Bloodmoon once, never was into Norse themes. But I can't stand seeing it being constantly hailed as a holy cow, as if it did absolutely no wrong, and Oblivion constantly berated as if it did nothing to improve. There's a reason reviews at the time of its released called it an improvement over its predecessor. And it was Morrowind that started taking things away from the gameplay and RP systems, not Oblivion. Love it all you want, 'tis a good game. Love it for the stuff it did take away because sometimes things can be excessive. But don't pretend Oblivion started the trend. It didn't. And yeah, it's also a good game. Stop being harsh on poor Oblivion, you people. It only wants you good.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
RealRT said:
Morrowind is a good game. I beat it around three or four times. Beat Tribunal two or three times. Beat Bloodmoon once, never was into Norse themes. But I can't stand seeing it being constantly hailed as a holy cow, as if it did absolutely no wrong, and Oblivion constantly berated as if it did nothing to improve.
Morrowind is so beloved because it has the best plot in a very interesting, exotic world. It is probably the most creative Elder Scrolls game of them all, and that also produces huge nostalgia. But I played it "only" two times and after Oblivion and especially Skyrim, it is very hard to go back, as it has not aged very well at all. Let's face it. Playing an ES game means you're trodding through dungeons, fighting monsters most of the time. And combat in Morrowind sucks balls. The static world with NPC's just standing around would also be pretty hard to swallow nowadays.
Apart from all the graphical improvements, Oblivion introduced NPC schedules and the more vigorous combat and magic systems, which makes it vastly superior to Morrowind from a gameplay standpoint. Unfortunately the cookie cutter dungeons in Oblivion were incredibly boring once you had explored the different styles a couple of times. Thankfully Skyrim improved on the dungeons and also added the crafting systems while further improving combat. Skyrim also gave us a more interesting world to explore again, so for me Skyrim is without question the best game in the series overall.
I could still go back to Oblivion for a serious playthrough, but I think Morrowind better remains in good memory...

Of course there is always the chance of revisiting Morrowind in Skywind or Morroblivion. Last time I checked, Morroblivion was actually in a very playable state, but I still prefer to wait for all the polish before diving in one of these recreations.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Xan Krieger said:
You mean like this?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/war-in-tamriel
Yes the mod is dead but it had potential. Also I would think Morrowind itself would be a great setting for such a game with the three dunmer houses, the imperials, and Vivec. I would absolutely play that all day.
Interesting. Too bad it seems to be abandoned. I really like Mount and Blade, but what I think would be way cooler is to have an Elder Scrolls game at the core, with some Mount and Blade injected in it, instead of the other way around.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Personally, I'm happy with this. This way, they have fewer distractions from an eventual Elder Scrolls 6: Somewhere That Isn't MMO Land.

It's pretty rare that I think Remastering is anywhere near worth it, but even more so from a series with such an active (encouraged, even!) modding community. If you want the game to look differently, odds are someone's already done it. For free.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Tiamat666 said:
RealRT said:
Morrowind is a good game. I beat it around three or four times. Beat Tribunal two or three times. Beat Bloodmoon once, never was into Norse themes. But I can't stand seeing it being constantly hailed as a holy cow, as if it did absolutely no wrong, and Oblivion constantly berated as if it did nothing to improve.
Morrowind is so beloved because it has the best plot in a very interesting, exotic world. It is probably the most creative Elder Scrolls game of them all, and that also produces huge nostalgia. But I played it "only" two times and after Oblivion and especially Skyrim, it is very hard to go back, as it has not aged very well at all. Let's face it. Playing an ES game means you're trodding through dungeons, fighting monsters most of the time. And combat in Morrowind sucks balls. The static world with NPC's just standing around would also be pretty hard to swallow nowadays.
Apart from all the graphical improvements, Oblivion introduced NPC schedules and the more vigorous combat and magic systems, which makes it vastly superior to Morrowind from a gameplay standpoint. Unfortunately the cookie cutter dungeons in Oblivion were incredibly boring once you had explored the different styles a couple of times. Thankfully Skyrim improved on the dungeons and also added the crafting systems while further improving combat. Skyrim also gave us a more interesting world to explore again, so for me Skyrim is without question the best game in the series overall.
I could still go back to Oblivion for a serious playthrough, but I think Morrowind better remains in good memory...

Of course there is always the chance of revisiting Morrowind in Skywind or Morroblivion. Last time I checked, Morroblivion was actually in a very playable state, but I still prefer to wait for all the polish before diving in one of these recreations.
Well, I would say that Daggerfall was the one with the best plot with a murder mystery, conspiracy and all the political shenanigans. Morrowind's lore and backstory are interesting, but the actual plot is your dime a dozen Chosen Hero's coming, uniting all of the peoples under his banner and vanquishing evil.
Oblivion at least has to take credit for adding traps to dungeons. And as for the exotic world, while the base game goes back to the more traditional fantasy setting, they did add the exotic and weird sights in the Shivering Isles expansion. Not going for an argument here, I actually agree with a lot of your points. Which game one prefers is up to personal preference, just adding my two cents. Still clocked a respectable amount of time in both vanilla Skyrim and Special Edition. Still gotta finish Dragonborn though.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
RealRT said:
A lot has been lost in Morrowind compared to Daggerfall: languages, banking system and owning homes, mounts, different kinds of speech your character can be proficient at.
(first, on a personal note; could you format your posts a little more? a black wall of text's kinda hard and annoying to read, as well as to pick out quotes)

From what I know and have seen of Daggerfall (given it's an ugly archaic mess I never will play it - and no, I'm not being hypocritical; I don't really blame those who see Morrowind as too dated. though for it, at least, mods can do wonders for most of its foibles. mods can give us an impressive 'Morrowind HD' update, whereas that could never exist for Daggerfall), I feel its language system was daftly implemented and kinda goofy. Did Vvardenfell need a banking system? Owning homes is irrelevant, as faction strongholds provide some abodes (and there's Raven Rock), and Vvardenfell's laws on squatting aren't very clear... I built my own [character and financially appropriate] home/s in the CS when I played on PC, which is a much better and more immersive [from a given RP perspective] solution.

Mounts? Eh, I'd prefer games had them given I dislike fast-travel, but so far every game I've played that has mounts made them feel like an incomplete feature that's just as much a nuisance as an expedient feature. I loved how Morrowind resolves its travel, but I'll get to that in a bit.

More varied dialog and more memorable NPCs, for once. Yeah, I just f[bleep!]king went there, because NPCs in Morrowind are all the same and only a handful have at least one character trait you can tell them apart by.
I can't comment with any authority on Daggerfall's. I've never seen a whole LP, so I can only go on scenes and examples - and nothing in it seemed to a higher quality than anything in Morrowind.

Was TESIII a little weak on characters? Perhaps, but the MQ more than made up for it. The conversations with Vivec and Dagoth Ur still stand out to me in my gaming history, and I've not touched the game for years. The various subtexts and themes made it richly layered, too - at least for those prepared to dig into the plentiful lore books.

Each NPC in Oblivion has at least one line unique to them and only them, that shortly defines their character and justifies them being named.
Oblivion's world was one of cartoons, not characters or any sense of cultural place that felt real. Bethesda's voiced work ranks as some of the worst in the business, when we compare it to their similarly budgeted competition, so I don't see what Oblivion replaced TESIII's walking wiki's with as a worthwhile improvement at all.

Immersion was better with NPCs actually having, you know, schedules and moving about on their business instead of standing in place, waiting for you to barge in.
Wrong, unless you are explicitly only referring to your own subjective forms of immersion; realism[footnote]Which has nothing objectively to do with immersion. People can be find any style of work immersive if there is a cohesion of design that the viewer/reader/player is comfortable with. Greater realism is objective - greater or lesser immersion is subjective.[/footnote] was better, perhaps.

Superficially, Radiant systems 'improved' a sense of realism, sure; no more NPC's slowly drifting across the rooms (or off ledges) throughout your playthrough. But with it came essential NPC's (I remember walking across much of the map in Skyrim with a certain major character - who was unrealistically bereft of any guards - who kept getting beaten down by passing bears, wolves, and bandits. I'd have to step in so this mighty pathetic leader could travel a hundred paces without getting his ass handed to him) and an exposure to just how godawful Bethesda's pathfinding/nav meshing was (which still blights their games even now).

Does an NPC standing in the same spot and never sleeping hurt a gamer's experience more than a world of seemingly mentally challenged denizens? Both are deeply imperfect solutions which expose the illusory nature of their worlds. Though, Morrowind has history on its side; Bethesda's AI is still as shit as ever, arguably worse at times given Fallout 4's settlements.

(there is a paradox in gaming that the more realistic something seems, the easier it is for the spell to be broken due to frequently terrible AI and bugs - and for the world to thus seem ironically less convincing and believable than a more stylised presentation of people and environments. Radiant AI's approximation of realism too often exposes the exact opposite)

Combat, while not the stuff of dreams and not holding a candle to something like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, was still far, far greater than Morrowind, because this time you felt like you had actual agency over what happens.
Morrowind's combat was an attempt to build RPG systems into realtime action. Was it successful? Arguably not given barely any games have since repeated it, but it contributed to a great sense of progression across a playthrough - I have never felt a sense of progress as consequential as Morrowind's in any other Bethesda game. Oblivion's world leveling was ridiculous (and to me boring), and Skyrim and Fallout 4's solutions are a variously clumsy mishmash.

Neither Oblivion or Skyrim did anything more with its core melee combat other than 'keep hitting attack' - so they replaced a stat dependent system with mashing not requiring any skill whatsoever (given how awful Bethesda's solutions for difficulty are, bumping the diff up just means more damage sponging, which only has the effect of prolonging the already guileless combat for no benefit).

Alchemy wasn't broken.
Define broken?

Pickpocketing actually bloody worked in Oblivion.
It worked in Morrowind, too. What was your issue?

The journal wasn't a complete and utter mess that required you to install a paid addon to fix.
Hm, back when I played it in its original - ahem - incarnation, I didn't have any issues with it. Terrible compared to now, though? No, not at all - once again I'd say this is a case of Bethesda altering a poorly implemented piece of design with something either just as worse, or just plain dumber; give me Morrowind's text entries and pages over Skyrim's minimalist BS and bullet points to tick off.

I can't say this is a critique, just a subjective aesthetic preference, but Skyrim's entire UI was hideously--- gamey. Give me a booklet and written text as opposed to Skyrim's anodyne layout.

Fast traveling was actually convenient - less immersive perhaps, but far more convenient and actually fast (and don't you dare tell me you had zero problems when you needed to go back to Tel Uvirith; Mark and Recall are not the answer because they only work on a single place and there are lots of quest-related places right in the middle of nowhere).
I despised Oblivion's fast-travel, and would prefer TES never added it; Vvardenfell had boats for the coastlines/ports, silt striders for the main settlements, gondolas in the capital, the two temple warps, guild guides, hell, even add the Propylon chambers for those diligent or lucky enough to find enough to matter (but, again, Morrowind felt like a real land, rich in history that was still affecting the present; those Propylons and their keys were relics, a system of travel you could essentially restore and use - provided you could survive their warp points).

Clearly fast-travel ain't going anywhere... But with it and the inclusion of the idiotic quest arrows and Tom Clancy/spec-ops/integrated AI compass (how do you know a shrine/mine is on the other side of that verge? magic, of course! why use your eyes and ears to truly discover a land, when you can have the HUD tell you?), Bethesda made their worlds feel small and contrived. Never again did you need to plan for a journey into the wilds, or pack 'extraction' scrolls or covet those Mark/Recall rings.

...and no, 'just don't use fast-travel' is not a solution (in either Oblivion or Skyrim); as you know, Morrowind was designed with no fast-travel, and so you had options - and yes, it would rightly punish you if you didn't prepare. In vanilla Oblivion and Skyrim, Bethesda could afford to be lazy and just assume the player would zip around the map (I actually quite like the Dawnguard expansion, but jeese, is much of it terribly designed - repeatedly flinging you back and forth across the map, almost breaking the wills of some of the most ardent non-fast-travelers).

Then again, on-foot travel is also far better in Oblivion because you don't start out with a speed of a pregnant slug.
That is a nuisance, although I feel Skyrim and Fallout 4's default movement speed is too fast.

It did also contribute to a sense of progression. Is that a good design choice to those ends? No, but its effect back in the day was still genuine. Were I to play Morrowind today, however, I would address that in modding.

But I can't stand seeing it being constantly hailed as a holy cow, as if it did absolutely no wrong...
Did I claim it was perfect? No. It'll always be one of my favourite games, period, but without significant modding I couldn't play it as-is - it's simply dated too much in all kinds of ways.

It was, however, arguably the last true niche RPG Bethesda made, or perhaps will ever make (on such a scale), hence why it so rightly revered.

...and Oblivion constantly berated as if it did nothing to improve.
Other than graphics - which is a product of an evolving technological medium, not anything to do with Bethesda themselves - I personally can't see anything it (or Skyrim) improved that mattered. Oblivion was a creative compromise in every possible way, and via Fallout 3 and Skyrim, its legacy was the rather perversely anti-RP Fallout 4.

And yeah, it's also a good game. Stop being harsh on poor Oblivion, you people.
Neeever gonna happen...

Tiamat666 said:
Apart from all the graphical improvements, Oblivion introduced NPC schedules and the more vigorous combat and magic systems, which makes it vastly superior to Morrowind from a gameplay standpoint.
...but a worse RPG, would you concede?

Oblivion and Skyrim's combat requires no skill whatsoever, so I question what getting rid of Morrowind's system - which reinforced RP's and contributed to a genuine sense of progression from hour 1 to hour 60 (Oblivion and Skyrim feel identical from start to finish) - actually gained.

Skyrim also gave us a more interesting world to explore again...
So instead of Oblivion's green and blue we got white and sometimes green'n'blue? I much prefer Skyrim's grittier landscape and more architecturally diverse towns to Oblivion, sure, but I'm not sure I could really call Skyrim genuinely interesting compared to Vvardenfell/Solstheim/Mournhold, visually, and certainly not culturally.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Tried to be nice and calm before. Didn't work. Back to this shit again...
Darth Rosenberg said:
RealRT said:
(first, on a personal note; could you format your posts a little more? a black wall of text's kinda hard and annoying to read, as well as to pick out quotes)

From what I know and have seen of Daggerfall (given it's an ugly archaic mess I never will play it - and no, I'm not being hypocritical; I don't really blame those who see Morrowind as too dated. though for it, at least, mods can do wonders for most of its foibles. mods can give us an impressive 'Morrowind HD' update, whereas that could never exist for Daggerfall), I feel its language system was daftly implemented and kinda goofy. Did Vvardenfell need a banking system? Owning homes is irrelevant, as faction strongholds provide some abodes (and there's Raven Rock), and Vvardenfell's laws on squatting aren't very clear... I built my own [character and financially appropriate] home/s in the CS when I played on PC, which is a much better and more immersive [from a given RP perspective] solution.

Mounts? Eh, I'd prefer games had them given I dislike fast-travel, but so far every game I've played that has mounts made them feel like an incomplete feature that's just as much a nuisance as an expedient feature. I loved how Morrowind resolves its travel, but I'll get to that in a bit.
Yeah, and I prefer for games to actually *give* me an option to purchase a house in a major city full of quests rather than expect me to mod that in. I would like for my character to actually *own* that house rather than become a squatter. Also, boats.
More varied dialog and more memorable NPCs, for once. Yeah, I just f[bleep!]king went there, because NPCs in Morrowind are all the same and only a handful have at least one character trait you can tell them apart by.
I can't comment with any authority on Daggerfall's. I've never seen a whole LP, so I can only go on scenes and examples - and nothing in it seemed to a higher quality than anything in Morrowind.

Was TESIII a little weak on characters? Perhaps, but the MQ more than made up for it. The conversations with Vivec and Dagoth Ur still stand out to me in my gaming history, and I've not touched the game for years. The various subtexts and themes made it richly layered, too - at least for those prepared to dig into the plentiful lore books.

Each NPC in Oblivion has at least one line unique to them and only them, that shortly defines their character and justifies them being named.
Oblivion's world was one of cartoons, not characters or any sense of cultural place that felt real. Bethesda's voiced work ranks as some of the worst in the business, when we compare it to their similarly budgeted competition, so I don't see what Oblivion replaced TESIII's walking wiki's with as a worthwhile improvement at all.
At the very least it saved your time. And the world of cartoons is still better than the world of wikis because the cartoons at least have some character too them.
Immersion was better with NPCs actually having, you know, schedules and moving about on their business instead of standing in place, waiting for you to barge in.
Wrong, unless you are explicitly only referring to your own subjective forms of immersion; realism was better, perhaps.

Superficially, Radiant systems 'improved' a sense of realism, sure; no more NPC's slowly drifting across the rooms (or off ledges) throughout your playthrough. But with it came essential NPC's (I remember walking across much of the map in Skyrim with a certain major character - who was unrealistically bereft of any guards - who kept getting beaten down by passing bears, wolves, and bandits. I'd have to step in so this mighty pathetic leader could travel a hundred paces without getting his ass handed to him) and an exposure to just how godawful Bethesda's pathfinding/nav meshing was (which still blights their games even now).

Does an NPC standing in the same spot and never sleeping hurt a gamer's experience more than a world of seemingly mentally challenged denizens? Both are deeply imperfect solutions which expose the illusory nature of their worlds. Though, Morrowind has history on its side; Bethesda's AI is still as shit as ever, arguably worse at times given Fallout 4's settlements.

(there is a paradox in gaming that the more realistic something seems, the easier it is for the spell to be broken due to frequently terrible AI and bugs - and for the world to thus seem ironically less convincing and believable than a more stylised presentation of people and environments. Radiant AI's approximation of realism too often exposes the exact opposite)
Well, I don't see it that way. I see that a world that's populated by people who actually seem like they have a life of their own is better, than a world of decorations substituting for NPCs. Them being stationary only adds to them being seen as non-entities, along with all that bland, overwritten dialog. Why should I care for this world if this world is already dead? Sorry, but I'm not buying the "better no AI than a glitchy AI". No. No it's not better. I'd rather appreciate an attempt at having an AI for every single NPC in the game than reward lack of any and all AI for no reason other than lazyness. Even Arena and Daggerfall had the streets empty during night time.
Combat, while not the stuff of dreams and not holding a candle to something like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, was still far, far greater than Morrowind, because this time you felt like you had actual agency over what happens.
Morrowind's combat was an attempt to build RPG systems into realtime action. Was it successful? Arguably not given barely any games have since repeated it, but it contributed to a great sense of progression across a playthrough - I have never felt a sense of progress as consequential as Morrowind's in any other Bethesda game. Oblivion's world leveling was ridiculous (and to me boring), and Skyrim and Fallout 4's solutions are a variously clumsy mishmash.

Neither Oblivion or Skyrim did anything more with its core melee combat other than 'keep hitting attack' - so they replaced a stat dependent system with mashing not requiring any skill whatsoever (given how awful Bethesda's solutions for difficulty are, bumping the diff up just means more damage sponging, which only has the effect of prolonging the already guileless combat for no benefit).
Yeah, it was just that: an attempt. And a really, really poor one. Deus Ex, for one, also had a mix of stats and action combat, but when you see a bullet hit a person, it actually hits a person, the game doesn't go all "Oh, yeah, right, well y'see, the die said thsi one doesn't count." Morrowind's combat demonstrates perfectly why mixing dice rolls and action combat just doesn't work: action is all about the player's actions, whereas with dice it's a game of chance, two complete opposites. And whereas Daggerfall also had that, I'm willing to cut a game from 1996 some slack on the account that there was no better examples of first-person CRPGs at the time. Yeah, you do sense progress, sure, but it doesn't feel rewarding. It feels like the game just decided to stop cheating from time to time. World leveling was ridiculous, but I was talking purely from combat standpoint. I will go back to leveling later on.
Yeah, it's keep hitting attack. Which is better than "keep hitting attack and hope that at least half of your attacks actually do something despite it clearly showing you landing them".
And at least they added some combat moves to give some variety.
Alchemy wasn't broken.
Define broken?
Don't tell me you don't know anything about those megapotions.
Pickpocketing actually bloody worked in Oblivion.
It worked in Morrowind, too. What was your issue?
Oh, I dunno, maybe the fact that even if you max out agility, speed and pickpocketing, your chances of a successful pickpocket without being caught are so low you are better off buying a lottery ticket. There's a reason Morrowind Code Patch reworked the whole chance calculation system to make the skill actually useable.
The journal wasn't a complete and utter mess that required you to install a paid addon to fix.
Hm, back when I played it in its original - ahem - incarnation, I didn't have any issues with it. Terrible compared to now, though? No, not at all - once again I'd say this is a case of Bethesda altering a poorly implemented piece of design with something either just as worse, or just plain dumber; give me Morrowind's text entries and pages over Skyrim's minimalist BS and bullet points to tick off.

I can't say this is a critique, just a subjective aesthetic preference, but Skyrim's entire UI was hideously--- gamey. Give me a booklet and written text as opposed to Skyrim's anodyne layout.
Oblivion's journal was perfectly fine. You had quests with a short description for each stage of the quest that got you up to the point on what happened. You could find any of your current or finished quests without any trouble at all. The latter also applies to Skyrim. Morrowind's attempt at making the journal an actual journal ended up a confused mess of the same overwritten and boring text.
Fast traveling was actually convenient - less immersive perhaps, but far more convenient and actually fast (and don't you dare tell me you had zero problems when you needed to go back to Tel Uvirith; Mark and Recall are not the answer because they only work on a single place and there are lots of quest-related places right in the middle of nowhere).
I despised Oblivion's fast-travel, and would prefer TES never added it; Vvardenfell had boats for the coastlines/ports, silt striders for the main settlements, gondolas in the capital, the two temple warps, guild guides, hell, even add the Propylon chambers for those diligent or lucky enough to find enough to matter (but, again, Morrowind felt like a real land, rich in history that was still affecting the present; those Propylons and their keys were relics, a system of travel you could essentially restore and use - provided you could survive their warp points).

Clearly fast-travel ain't going anywhere... But with it and the inclusion of the idiotic quest arrows and Tom Clancy/spec-ops/integrated AI compass (how do you know a shrine/mine is on the other side of that verge? magic, of course! why use your eyes and ears to truly discover a land, when you can have the HUD tell you?), Bethesda made their worlds feel small and contrived. Never again did you need to plan for a journey into the wilds, or pack 'extraction' scrolls or covet those Mark/Recall rings.

...and no, 'just don't use fast-travel' is not a solution (in either Oblivion or Skyrim); as you know, Morrowind was designed with no fast-travel, and so you had options - and yes, it would rightly punish you if you didn't prepare. In vanilla Oblivion and Skyrim, Bethesda could afford to be lazy and just assume the player would zip around the map (I actually quite like the Dawnguard expansion, but jeese, is much of it terribly designed - repeatedly flinging you back and forth across the map, almost breaking the wills of some of the most ardent non-fast-travelers).
TES had fast-travel back in Arena and Daggerfall, Oblivion didn't add it, it brought it back where it rightfully belongs because getting around Vvardenfell was a pain in the ass. What about all those ruins, small villages, Ashlander camps? No transport goes there. You cannot just go from point A to point B, you need to go from point A through points B, C, D and E and then take a trek through a wasteland full of annoying Cliff Racers: this is what Morrowind's fast travel is like. Not actually fast, wasting my time when I want to go from one point to another and annoying. And fuck Propylons and their dog because I'm SO not going on a bug-ridden quest that would enable me to use new points of fast travel... only, of course, I would need to be of sufficient level to perform it, which means I'd do it in the later stages of the game, by which point I would have no need of it.

Well then just turn off the arrow. You can do it in Skyrim. In Oblivion you can just switch to a different quest. Boom. Problem solved. No more arrows. And "discovery" has nothing to do with it. Because (and it'll probably be a shock to you but hear me out) when I'm doing a quest, I actually only care about that one particular quest. When I want to explore, I do it on my own volition. If when looking for the objective I only "discover" a bunch of stuff that I don't need for that quest, it only serves to irritate me. And yeah, Morrowind went to the other extreme of the arrow spectrum, not even marking the quest objective on your map and giving you vague descriptions like "Oh, go find that ancestral tomb, somewhat south, between two dwemer ruins" and having THREE ancestral tombs fit those descriptions. Also, I remember how I spent hours looking for the goddamn Bonebitter bow because the directions ot the cave were vague at best and the bow was on the body of the ancestral ghost which looked like every other goddamn ancestral ghost in the bloody game and I actually had to look up in CS where the bloody thing is. It's not immersive, there is no "discovery" in it, it's wasting my goddamn time and Lord knows, I don't have nearly enough free time these days to allow it to be wasted like this.

And yes! Not using the fast travel IS a solution, you just choose not to use it. Speaking of preparations, how the hell am I supposed to prepare for ANYTHING when all the alchemy vendors on the goddamn island sell an absolutely random assortment of potions, without a single one of the bastards having a sufficient and restocking supply of health and magicka potions? The only good source of magicka potions in the whole bloody game are Mage Guilds chests which replenish them once a week and even then, it's not nearly enough because, with magicka non-regenerating, you need to either chug them up like an alcoholic on a whiskey plant or make your character an absolute narcoleptic who falls dead asleep after every major encounter and THAT is SO RP-positive.
Then again, on-foot travel is also far better in Oblivion because you don't start out with a speed of a pregnant slug.
That is a nuisance, although I feel Skyrim and Fallout 4's default movement speed is too fast.
I would call it optimal.
It did also contribute to a sense of progression. Is that a good design choice to those ends? No, but its effect back in the day was still genuine. Were I to play Morrowind today, however, I would address that in modding.
No, it was to reinforce the illusion of a big sprawling world... which wasn't actually all that big.
But I can't stand seeing it being constantly hailed as a holy cow, as if it did absolutely no wrong...
Did I claim it was perfect? No. It'll always be one of my favourite games, period, but without significant modding I couldn't play it as-is - it's simply dated too much in all kinds of ways.

It was, however, arguably the last true niche RPG Bethesda made, or perhaps will ever make (on such a scale), hence why it so rightly revered.
Overly revered. Also, that's around third time you mention modding, whereas I'm talking about vanilla games. Mods can change pretty much everything in these games, counting them is meaningless.
...and Oblivion constantly berated as if it did nothing to improve.
Other than graphics - which is a product of an evolving technological medium, not anything to do with Bethesda themselves - I personally can't see anything it (or Skyrim) improved that mattered. Oblivion was a creative compromise in every possible way, and via Fallout 3 and Skyrim, its legacy was the rather perversely anti-RP Fallout 4.
Yeah, no. That's Morrowind's legacy because that was the game that started taking things away. Stop pretending it's not, it will not change because you close your ears and go LALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING. And if you can't see what it improved of the things that mattered - namely almost all of the goddamn gameplay, you need to consult your local ophtalmologist.
And yeah, it's also a good game. Stop being harsh on poor Oblivion, you people.
Neeever gonna happen...
Well ain't that typical of a Morrowind fan, refusing to even consider that other games in the series have their merits.
Tiamat666 said:
Apart from all the graphical improvements, Oblivion introduced NPC schedules and the more vigorous combat and magic systems, which makes it vastly superior to Morrowind from a gameplay standpoint.
...but a worse RPG, would you concede?

Oblivion and Skyrim's combat requires no skill whatsoever, so I question what getting rid of Morrowind's system - which reinforced RP's and contributed to a genuine sense of progression from hour 1 to hour 60 (Oblivion and Skyrim feel identical from start to finish) - actually gained.
As if Morrowind's required any skill. And define "reinforcing RP's", because I felt none of that. What I did feel was a clumsy and a poorly thought out system. Which it was.
What it gained? A game that's actually fun to play. Also, if they feel identical, try actually leveling up combat skills. And using the perks. Disarming the opponent and stealing their weapon, then beating them to death with it? Priceless.
Also, when it comes to progression and action, Morrowind's system couldn't hold a candle to Gothic which was released a year earlier. THAT game got progression right, in THAT game you actually did feel like you're leagues above from where you started because along with skill progressions due to combination of both mechanics and presentation. But going back to strictly TES, even Oblivion and Skyrim gave you new combat moves. Morrowind? You just don't miss as much. Yaaaaaaaay.
Skyrim also gave us a more interesting world to explore again...
So instead of Oblivion's green and blue we got white and sometimes green'n'blue? I much prefer Skyrim's grittier landscape and more architecturally diverse towns to Oblivion, sure, but I'm not sure I could really call Skyrim genuinely interesting compared to Vvardenfell/Solstheim/Mournhold, visually, and certainly not culturally.
I'm sorry, but since when green and brown Vvardenfell a visually interesting setting? A swamp and a couple of forests aside, most of the island is a barren wasteland. And if we're allowed to pick expansions, then I'd pick the dual swampy-sunny shores of Shivering Isles over any of the above any day of the week.
--
If you're going to continue on and go once again with every point over and over again, don't bother since I won't bother to read it. I've been in these arguments before, answered to the same points you brought up before and my position still stands unchanged. Morrowind is overrated by a cadre of fanboys that refuse to see the improvements over it even if they hit them right in the head.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
RealRT said:
Deus Ex, for one, also had a mix of stats and action combat, but when you see a bullet hit a person, it actually hits a person...
Funnily enough I could never stomach to finish that game because I came to it very late, and couldn't stand its Mass Effect 1 style wandering crosshairs to represent skill progression with weapons (that, and the ugly visuals, iffy script, and b-movie voice acting about on par with Oblivion).

Yeah, it's keep hitting attack. Which is better than "keep hitting attack and hope that at least half of your attacks actually do something despite it clearly showing you landing them".
Okay, let's get detail-y...

Is melee combat in-game a 1:1 representation of your character's actions? Or an expression of combat involvement? It's a given combat in these kinds of games is unrealistic; no warrior circle strafes or swishes their longsword around whilst conveniently moving their shield (if equipped) out of the way. It is unrealistic that blocking with a blade should incur damage at all (extra stamina drain would make much more sense), given weapons are used for offence and defence, but this is done out of an attempt at balancing skills.

What occurs when the player hits the attack key is, essentially, an abstract representation of the character's ability and the player's choices. So in that context I feel dice rolls for hits is pretty reasonable. There is no skill required to wield a weapon in Oblivion or Skyrim, nor mechanically and skill wise in Morrowind - it's just a silly, physics free exchange of two in-game actors waving their arms about and hitboxes sorting out what connects before factoring in armour/damage/health values.

...remember, I'm certainly not advocating that Morrowind's solution is a stroke of genius. But it at least makes combat truly tethered to your build, and so RP's and builds mean more.

Ideally, I'd want more of a skill based, more realistic Dark Souls [1] vibe in terms of melee actually being about timing/distance. Have weapons interact with the geometry around you to make them distinct, and steer away from lazy damage sponge nonsense so combat is consequential.

But I digress...

Oh, I dunno, maybe the fact that even if you max out agility, speed and pickpocketing, your chances of a successful pickpocket without being caught are so low you are better off buying a lottery ticket. There's a reason Morrowind Code Patch reworked the whole chance calculation system to make the skill actually useable.
I must've played after any patches were released, because I don't recall any major issues with the system.

Oblivion's journal was perfectly fine. You had quests with a short description for each stage of the quest that got you up to the point on what happened. You could find any of your current or finished quests without any trouble at all.
I'd maybe concede Oblivion's journal was the least worst of the major mainline TES's, but 'it has the least worst X' isn't a ringing endorsement, and I still prefer the concept of Morrowind's journal, if not the execution (certainly after returning to a playthrough after weeks or months away).

TES had fast-travel back in Arena and Daggerfall, Oblivion didn't add it, it brought it back...
Arena was set in Tamriel - Daggerfall in an entire [woefully realised] bay. Even I wouldn't demand people trek across a world or a continent.

Vvardenfell, however, was part of one richly detailed province and therefore didn't necessitate such shortcuts.

What about all those ruins, small villages, Ashlander camps? No transport goes there.
...you walk. Simples!

Dragon Age Inquisition was ostensibly set in two entire nations. Yet the game felt tiny, largely for one major reason; there was no consequence or context for travel, and all you saw of each land was a portioned off zone you teleported to. No time had passed, no journey was remarked on, and as a result space was compressed. They felt like disconnected levels in a videogame, not parts of a connected world.

Vvardenfell has a genuine sense of coherent place because you were required to traverse its space, and the more you played the more options you had for getting around quicker (rewarding preparation and invested time/effort).

And fuck Propylons and their dog because I'm SO not going on a bug-ridden quest that would enable me to use new points of fast travel... only, of course, I would need to be of sufficient level to perform it, which means I'd do it in the later stages of the game, by which point I would have no need of it.
The player being rewarded for their effort and punished for not giving to get a little? Perish the thought!

As I intimated, I wouldn't really count those chambers as modes of travel within the game as features. I value them for how it gives the player options (esoteric rewards for the very hardiest of adventurers or collectors of obscure artifacts), and how it enriches the land's sense of reality given those strongholds and their secrets represent Vvardenfell's murky, violent, mysterious history.

Well then just turn off the arrow. You can do it in Skyrim. In Oblivion you can just switch to a different quest. Boom. Problem solved. No more arrows.
No, not problem solved at all ('problem slightly fudged temporarily', at best) because - as with fast-travel - Oblivion and Skyrim are games designed for arrows and fast-travel. You cannot use alternate means if none are given.

And yeah, Morrowind went to the other extreme of the arrow spectrum, not even marking the quest objective on your map and giving you vague descriptions like "Oh, go find that ancestral tomb, somewhat south, between two dwemer ruins" and having THREE ancestral tombs fit those descriptions.
That's exactly how I want it again, or with a few exceptions depending on context but I'll get to that in a sec.

Morrowind required you to pay attention to actual directions, to look at the very world around you or your map (in-game or printed) instead of a patronising magic arrow that you had to follow because you had no other help or aid.

And "discovery" has nothing to do with it. Because (and it'll probably be a shock to you but hear me out) when I'm doing a quest, I actually only care about that one particular quest. When I want to explore, I do it on my own volition. If when looking for the objective I only "discover" a bunch of stuff that I don't need for that quest, it only serves to irritate me.
No, you misunderstand, or perhaps I worded it poorly. When I talk of a sense of real, personal discovery I mean how the spec-ops magi-compass in Oblivion and Skyrim denied the player the reward of using their eyes and ears to learn for themselves precisely what was over a nearby ridge.

I can fault Bethesda for a hundred and one issues, but I think my biggest bugbear since Oblivion was in how they forced icons onto the compass, and the impact that had on a genuine sense of exploration and personal discovery. Morrowind's manual touches on one of the most powerful plus points of the series; you have the option to go where the story or a quest wants you to, or you can look off to the side, see a verge, and sate your curiosity about what's beyond.

In Morrowind? I discovered entire ruins beginning with a block or two of dwemer or daedric stonework. The world unfolded realistically as if I were a newcomer, perhaps stumbling into dangerous regions I shouldn't be.

From Oblivion on? Given I've played on console since then, I've not had a single moment of discovery or exploration which matched countless moments in Morrowind. The idiot-compass would tell me - whether I wanted to know or not - what was over that ridge. The mystery was stripped away, and as a result Bethesda's worlds became filler placed between POI's (the icons). 'What's over that ridge?' was a question satisfied by looking at the bottom or top of the screen, not walking forward and treating the land as if it were real, and I was standing right there.

(adding red pips for enemy locations was more salt into the wound; why use your eyes and ears for enemy cues when you can just look at the cheat-oh-compass? why Bethesda never allowed all players to customise their shitty HUD's/UI's I'll never know. thank feck for mods)

Re waypoints placed on the map (meaning you must open the map to see it)? Yeah, for certain quests and tasks that absolutely makes sense. But for other key quests and tasks, Bethesda could provide the player with Morrowind-esque instructions. If you're searching for a long lost tomb, it should not have a big flashing neon sign pointing the PC towards it. In Morrowind when searching for the Cave of the Incarnate (I think, it's been a while), you need to look out for a certain valley configuration from one of two directions and then explore deeper. That is another example of the sense of discovery - which also reinforces and emphasises the mystery of these places and the story.

Bethesda are numpties, frankly, for simply thinking they need to provide arrows and map markers and never mix things up with more exploratory approaches, which reward the player for effort and observation skills.

As another solution to their wayward design, how about having NPC's ask whether you want to have your map marked after they've given you a brief description of where you need to head? That would provide arrows for those only caring about perfunctory A-to-B journeys (about ticking off checklists and 'advancing' the story), as well as give those looking for a more realistic sense of adventure a choice to challenge themselves and be rewarded accordingly.

Also, I remember how I spent hours looking for the goddamn Bonebitter bow because the directions ot the cave were vague at best and the bow was on the body of the ancestral ghost which looked like every other goddamn ancestral ghost in the bloody game and I actually had to look up in CS where the bloody thing is.
I have a similar memory of Morrowind - I'm sure all who've played it at length have. It was the hunt for Mehrunes Razor, I think, and it didn't take me hours - it took me days (about a week or more in-game time). I made my temporary HQ Molag Mar, which I would return to after each sortie. The room at the inn had an increasing amount of loot dumped around the bed and floor.

It became frustrating, sure. But y'know what? It also became one of my fondest memories in all my years playing TES, because I built it into my RP, and that sequence of events helped change the course of my character in a way I hadn't planned or predicted.

I also remember another incident where the actual instructions were wrong or just plain terrible. And y'know what? I enjoyed that, because to me it felt realistic - people don't always give good directions... (again, no, I'm not demanding all games start including bad directions: but a sense of character can be found in flaws as well, and that was one example in Morrowind which enriched my own experience)

And yes! Not using the fast travel IS a solution, you just choose not to use it.
As I said: no, it's not, when the game is designed to use a given system. If the player chooses not to use it, they are simply being punished given Bethesda are lazy arses who don't like giving people choices. Morrowind was had no lazy magic zipping about, sure, but it was built to give the player options; a good hiking was required in many instances, as I believe it should, but you had all the options I mentioned - plus more esoteric ones such as levitation or simply leaping across the map in a few bounds, provided you had the means to land safely.

You could also enchant for speed, or don those boots which made you streak across the land at the same time as making you blind...

Given Skyrim's Radiant quests for crappy little tasks could be anywhere (the Dawnguard's tasks I mentioned is an apt example), players looking for lore-friendly means to travel without walking the whole journey have no options. In Vvardenfell you could use a combination of choices to get you closer to where you needed to be, and then perhaps use Recall to skip the return journey in a lore-friendly manner.

...or make your character an absolute narcoleptic who falls dead asleep after every major encounter and THAT is SO RP-positive.
Well, it's good to know Bethesda don't repeat such mistakes a decade later, right? Fallout 4's Survival save mode made all kinds of sense... (before someone promptly fixed their design choice with modding)

Re potions: eh, I can only go from my own experiences, and I remember no issues with potion availability. I can't recall how Oblivion did things, but Skyrim and Fallout 4 dole out healing options like confetti, which given you can cheat combat entirely by spamming potions in the menus, made almost any encounter meaningless if you had enough healing options (Dark Souls' forced pause in combat is something I hope to see many more RPG's implement).

Well ain't that typical of a Morrowind fan.
I call a spade a spade, and a dumbed down TES a dumbed down TES. Morrowind was the last game that felt like they were designing an experience (of consequences, challenge, lore nuance) for me. Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 are games 'for everyone' - hence why they have no real sense of identity any more.

Again, don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed many, many hours on all those games (as dumb as F4 is I'm still playing it). But they are increasingly soulless, casual creations bereft of real vision. Given their history of junking or compromising their own fascinatingly weird lore, I'm deeply skeptical they'll do justice to any of their other lands and cultures in the next installment. I'd love for Kirkbride to come back and just go nuts... but that would represent a risk, and a distinct creative statement. Better we have what is familiar; medieval pastiche and grimdark-lite Norse realms.

I'm sorry, but since when green and brown Vvardenfell a visually interesting setting? A swamp and a couple of forests aside, most of the island is a barren wasteland. And if we're allowed to pick expansions, then I'd pick the dual swampy-sunny shores of Shivering Isles over any of the above any day of the week.
I wasn't just referring to the colour, hence why I mentioned more than that.

Vvardenfell alone had the swampy coastline (dotted with some wonderfully detailed little fishing villages), the ashen slopes courtesy of Red Mountain (dramatic be it in good weather, ash, or Blight storms. quite hellish when near daedric ruins in particular), the verdant Grazelands, the oversize flora, and so on.

Then you have the architectural and cultural diversity; boxy European Empire settlements and forts, dunmer settlements, the Ashlander villages, the sprawling cantons of Vivec City with its oppressively mystic trappings overhead, the Telvanni outposts, Ald'ruhn's city of-- well, bone, and so on. Throw in a hundred and one little islands around the coasts, and the sounds of the silt striders crying out across those landscapes, and you had a remarkably otherworldly, imaginative, and at times alien world.

Solstheim brings blizzards and glacial wastes, whilst Mournhold brings a new, opulent capital (replete with murderous warrens/sewers, of course).

Regardless of what someone makes of Morrowind's mechanics or aged foibles, by comparison Oblivion and Skyrim are safe and conventional - and I'd argue those have been design watchwords of Bethesda ever since.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Debatable whether Skyrim needed a remaster, what with modders doing most of the work anyway.

A Morrowind remake would be really nice. Everyone keeps talking up Morrowind like it's the best, but there's no way I'm playing that with such an ancient make. Freeform sandbox gameplay is one of those game types with the sharpest growing pains.

I know there are independent modders remaking Morrowind already, but maybe I'll get to play it before I die.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Personally, I loved Morrowind, and still consider it to be the best RPG in the Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion and Skyrim had better action, and were the better Action RPG's). If it were to be remastered, I'd be all over it, but I doubt that Bethesda would find sales nearly as high as the original, and it would take a whole lot of work to move Morrowind over to the newer engines. I don't see it happening, and can't really blame Bethesda for wanting to concentrate their efforts on moving the game universe forward instead.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
remastering morrowind? As in retooling the engine? YEah, no ... I'd trust a leper to hold onto my sandwich for a spell more than I'd trust another game for Bethesda to ruin.

Leave Morrowind alone. No ... because they'll pull a Lucas and maybe the onlyu copy you'll be able to get is the remaster nonsense that they will, undoubtedly, ruin. Morrowind was your last and final decent game you ever made Bethesda, leave it as a reminder when you had talent.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The thing is with the remasters that we've gotten - Skyrim, Dishonored, Gears Ultimate, Halo 2 Anniv., CoD etc. these were all newer games built with more flexible engines and closer to the release of the Xbox One, so they were easier to adapt. CoD and Gears were about the oldest that been remastered and that is because their old engines are still functional, so they use the newly developed engines to slap a new coat of paint and features on.

Going back to Morrowind, Oblivion etc. those engines were not only ANCIENT, but archaic and hard to use then. They very likely wouldn't even run properly on the new systems. You'd basically have to remake them from the ground up in the new engine - essentially you'd be making an entirely new game, just skipping the designing process and getting straight to the engineering/programming process. Still a lot of work.