Bethesda Outlines Its Policy On DLC

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
nova18 said:
I have a PS3.
So I will be seeing no DLC from Bethesda.

It makes me sad that I wont get anything more to play on Fallout (at least not right now).
But Fallout was buggy as hell when it first came out on PS3, it actually got unplayable in parts.

I think Knights of the Nine is a good size for DLC though, if they price it right.
I've got a PS3 too and am still waiting for Shivering isles as DLC. Oblivion was (and is) as buggy as hell, and last week i was treated to that anoying bug where the game freezes before you get the grey fox cowl. Considering that The Pitt had to be released 3 times because of bugs I doubt Bethesda are getting better.
Luckily, I picked up the Game of the Year edition which came with Shivering isles and Knights of the Nine.

They are pretty bad at releasing bug-free games. Is it a lack of testing or something?

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Their Oblivion DLC gave me the willies about buying the Fallout 3 stuff. I surfed the Marketplace and saw things like "Horse Armor" and "Spell tomes" for sale, and just gawped like a yokel. Like hell I was paying for the correction of a glaring oversight, or the addition of a couple items to loot tables, respectively.

Not counting Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isles, everything else released for that amounts to:
- an evil stronghold
- a melee character stronghold
- a wizard's tower stronghold
- a room in the Imperial City that gives you random buffs
- a dagger that comes in a big dungeon
- armor for your horse
- "spell tomes", I.E. a spell in a can being added to loot tables.

All the strongholds had to have work put into them to make them "good", and really all they offered was services that you could get elsewhere.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
nova18 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
nova18 said:
I have a PS3.

It makes me sad that I wont get anything more to play on Fallout (at least not right now).
But Fallout was buggy as hell when it first came out on PS3, it actually got unplayable in parts.

I think Knights of the Nine is a good size for DLC though, if they price it right.
I've got a PS3 too and am still waiting for Shivering isles as DLC. Oblivion was (and is) as buggy as hell, and last week i was treated to that anoying bug where the game freezes before you get the grey fox cowl. Considering that The Pitt had to be released 3 times because of bugs I doubt Bethesda are getting better.
Luckily, I picked up the Game of the Year edition which came with Shivering isles and Knights of the Nine.

They are pretty bad at releasing bug-free games. Is it a lack of testing or something?
One thing I've learned about software development is whenever you get short of time or money testing is the first thing to go.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
kawligia said:
I prefer waiting longer for a larger expansion.

Why?

Because once I'm done with a game, (couple weeks to a few months depending on the game) little DLCs aren't enough to make me want to get involved again. But a big expansion with a lot of content WOULD get me excited.

Its like eating a meal at a restraunt. Once I'm done, I don't want to sit there all day snacking on small appetizers as they trickle out one by one. I'd rather come back later for a proper meal when I'm hungry again.
I totally agree: the reason I'm not the least bit interested in the DLC for Falout3, GTA, or Burnout. I'd honestly rather them start working on a new game than see them adding more layers of polish to their respective turds; they're all just going to end up with polished turds.

It's just another reason to get the PC version: user made GECK levels are going to far outshine any of Bethesda's dlc once the fanatics play with it for long enough.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
nova18 said:
I have a PS3.

Well, you're really not missing anything, and from the looks of this article, you shouldn't feel bad if this crap never gets to the ps3.

All this article shows is that Bethesda knows how to make money. Enough people buy these little packs that it's way more cost effective to make those instead of things like Shivering Isles which are way better but use up more resources.