Bethesda Outlines Skyrim 1.5

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Podunk said:
Ugh, the kill cams. They worked great in Fallout 3, and they will probably work for spells and ranged attacks, but they suck for melee. When you're fighting someone and the game shoves you into third person, it means one of two things- either you got a special kill on the enemy, or the enemy has mostly randomly decided to make you dead right now regardless of your health and the game said 'ok'. When there's a lot of shit going on and you're in a tense battle it's harrowing to see that slow-motion third person shot until you can make out exactly what's going on. Worse than that, the special kills are often worse to pull off than a regular attack. I remember sneaking up behind a bandit to backstab him while his friend slept nearby once. If I got the special kill off his friend would stand up and be poised to hack me once the game decided to give me back control. One axe to the head and loading of an autosave later, I found out that if I didn't trigger a special kill animation I could attack the second bandit while he was getting up!
I'm honestly both surprised and relieved that someone agrees with me about this. Posted something on SPUF about looking for a mod on PC that can fix this when I eventually get it for PC and had the majority of people in the thread tell me either "Lol PS3", that I deserved to die (even though I had full health?), or level up Smithing / Enchanting so my Light Armor was at the armor cap (I hate how ridiculous Smithing and Enchanting are in this game. Light Armor should not be able to hit the armor cap, as that takes away the main advantage of Heavy Armor). Some people actually read my post and responded thoughtfully, but most simply didn't. Glad the Escapist isn't quite as bad as SPUF when it comes to discussing this sort of thing.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Fappy said:
Wow, they tiptoed around it but still haven't managed to fix the gamebreaking main quest bug that me and a bunch of others encountered where you can't start the quest "A Cornered Rat"? They fixed a bug regarding it but not the one that prevented getting it. You'd think the main quest would be a priority... :/
It mentioned fixing that in the notes I think, something about allowing you to continue?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
boo on no more spamming iron daggers
and boo on not fixing red eagles sword quest

but OMG yes on arrow kill cams >:D I loves me some sniping

targren

May 13, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Does this mean I won't be able to spam-upgrade my smithing by spamming Iron Daggers?
If you were doing that, you were doing it wrong. Leather Bracers were where it was at. *nods sagely*

But yes, they're gimping that.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Very nice. Now make the game more than a superficial toybox. What?! You can't? Oh that's right you're Bethesda.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
wait.. we can marry lydia now?! HOW DO I DIVORCE THIS WENCH.. i want lydia! give me divorce option!!! ='(

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Why do people keep going on about glitches?? I have Skyrim on my Xbox 360 and haven't updated it at all (it's not connected to the internet) and I haven't seen a SINGLE glitch. I don't know what you guys are on about.
Simonoly said:
I'm loving the new additions. But why have Bethesda still not fixed the bugs that are present in every single version/copy of Skyrim by now?
So, not all.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Das Boot said:
The reason I said that is because they have blatantly lied again and again about fixing bugs and people actually believe them. The most obvious one is the ps3 lag problem which they said they fixed two or three times and last I heard its still there. They are also spending time creating new animations and minor bug changes and ignoring the major issues people are having.
I think Bethesda is not the only one to blame on the PS3 issues. People should probably take better care of their consoles to start off with. I play on PS3 and I've had lag twice. That's it. Both times I played more or less 15 hours straight and my PS3 was overheating. I ended the game, let the poor fat bastard cool down for awhile and the game was fine after that. Maybe people should vacuum their PS3's sometimes or place them differently, I don't know.

When I bought Skyrim I knew there would be bugs. I could have waited for GOTY edition in the hopes that most bugs have been handled by then, but I simply couldn't wait. I knew what I was in for and getting a game like Skyrim, bugs won't matter to me. Not one bit. If it bothers you, you have the option of not buying the game. But don't go insulting both fans of the series and the developer like that.

Bethesda is fixing the bugs. But fixing them is simply not easy. They are releasing patches often enough and fix as much as they can with each one. The game is huge and fixing the problems might bring other problems. That's why not all bugs are consistent through all playthroughs. I had a bug in Markarth, but it could well be that someone else did not. Maybe they chose different options, did different quests or spoke to NPC's I did not and that in turn affected their gameplay.

And do you honestly believe that the staff of Bethesda is sitting there, with their feet on their desks, laughing at the problems? You think they have a meeting where they decide which bugs to ignore and what kind of new animations they will be doing? That's what I got from your messages. They haven't lied and people fixing problems are, most likely, not the same people who create new animations.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
CyanideSandwich said:
Why do people keep going on about glitches?? I have Skyrim on my Xbox 360 and haven't updated it at all (it's not connected to the internet) and I haven't seen a SINGLE glitch. I don't know what you guys are on about.
Simonoly said:
I'm loving the new additions. But why have Bethesda still not fixed the bugs that are present in every single version/copy of Skyrim by now?
So, not all.
I was the same. My xbox 360 version was pretty much bug free apart from a bunch of miscellaneous quests that I can't complete or have completed but still remain in the quest log. The majority of bugs are quite variable, but that's not what I was getting at. I was talking about the bugs that are present in all copies of Skyrim due to what appears to be programming errors. Such as the inability to get the Dragon Infusion perk from Esbern. Have you been able to get the Dragon Infusion perk on your xbox 360 version? I could only get it via console commands on my PC version. Also were you able to get the imperial decree for the Missing in Action quest? I couldn't even get that with console commands.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
I really wish they would put an option in to take out killcams, I really don't like them. Especially since the unarmed ones have now turned Dovahkiin into el luchadore
There is isn't there? I remember seeing the gameplay slot in the options menu an option to turn kill cams off. Did you not see that?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
ServebotFrank said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I really wish they would put an option in to take out killcams, I really don't like them. Especially since the unarmed ones have now turned Dovahkiin into el luchadore
There is isn't there? I remember seeing the gameplay slot in the options menu an option to turn kill cams off. Did you not see that?
I don't remember there being one, but I haven't played it since release, I was unfortunately really dissappointed with it, just doesn't suck me in like the other Elder Scrolls games did.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
I don't know, I still just want my 360 controller to remap properly on PC. Sure the custom controls work in-game but when I open a menu, the default control prompts show up but I still have to use my custom controls (i.e. I have to press X when the screen tells me to press A). Either show the proper control prompts or switch the control scheme to default when in menus...

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Simonoly said:
CyanideSandwich said:
Simonoly said:
So, not all.
I was the same. My xbox 360 version was pretty much bug free apart from a bunch of miscellaneous quests that I can't complete or have completed but still remain in the quest log. The majority of bugs are quite variable, but that's not what I was getting at. I was talking about the bugs that are present in all copies of Skyrim due to what appears to be programming errors. Such as the inability to get the Dragon Infusion perk from Esbern. Have you been able to get the Dragon Infusion perk on your xbox 360 version? I could only get it via console commands on my PC version. Also were you able to get the imperial decree for the Missing in Action quest? I couldn't even get that with console commands.
Yes, I was able to get the Dragon Infusion perk, no problem. I haven't done the Missing In Action quest, though.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
CyanideSandwich said:
Simonoly said:
CyanideSandwich said:
Simonoly said:
So, not all.
Yes, I was able to get the Dragon Infusion perk, no problem. I haven't done the Missing In Action quest, though.
Really? You're literally the first person I know of who has been able to get that perk (I scoured countless forums to no avail). Does it show up in your list of active effects in the magic menu? For me, Esbern always says he is giving me the perk but then I never actually receive anything. He does the exact same thing on my PC version and I have to use console commands to correct it. So you never updated with any of the patches? I'm genuinely quite interested to see if that's the cause. Sorry, I will try not to throw 20 questions your way!

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Simonoly said:
CyanideSandwich said:
Simonoly said:
CyanideSandwich said:
Simonoly said:
So, not all.
Really? You're literally the first person I know of who has been able to get that perk (I scoured countless forums to no avail). Does it show up in your list of active effects in the magic menu? For me, Esbern always says he is giving me the perk but then I never actually receive anything. He does the exact same thing on my PC version and I have to use console commands to correct it. So you never updated with any of the patches? I'm genuinely quite interested to see if that's the cause. Sorry, I will try not to throw 20 questions your way!
Yeah, it shows up. "Dragons do 25% less melee damage." That's it, right? I had no idea this was a problem. I knew the game glitched on the PC version, but I didn't know there was something that no-one got on console or PC. I haven't really been on forums and such other than the odd bit of help here and there, and I've skipped everything including glitches because I figured it was only a PC thing. I don't know what's different about my copy though. Just got lucky, I guess.