Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Use Of Fallout License

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
September 11, 2009

Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Use Of Fallout License

Fallout rights holder Bethesda Softworks has made good on its threat to sue developer Interplay for allegedly failing to hold up its end of agreements inked in April 2007.

Bethesda filed a complaint -- obtained by Gamasutra -- in the U.S. District Court of Maryland on September 9 requesting a preliminary and permanent injunction against Interplay's manufacture, sale, and distribution of Fallout Trilogy, which includes the classic PC games Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

Bethesda accused Interplay of trademark infringement, claiming that while Interplay was permitted to sell pre-existing Fallout games, it was required to submit to Bethesda all relevant packaging, advertising, and promotional material prior to bringing the catalog titles to market.

But Bethesda claimed that Interplay never sought pre-approval for those materials. The plaintiff said because of the alleged trademark infringement, consumers have become confused between the makers of the pre-existing Fallout games and Bethesda's more recent Fallout 3 -- a situation that Bethesda wanted to avoid.

Bethesda also accused Interplay of breaching the trademark agreement by signing licensing agreements with digital distribution sites like Steam, GOG.com, and GameTap to sell older Fallout games. The company claimed Interplay's alleged actions have caused the studio "immediate, substantial, and irreparable harm."

Bethesda is also asking the court for a declaration stating a trademark licensing agreement between the two companies is terminated. In 2007, Bethesda purchased the Fallout franchise from Interplay in full for $5.75 million. Within that purchase agreement was a trademark licensing agreement, the complaint said, that allowed Interplay to license back the rights to develop an MMO based on the Fallout series.

But the stipulation was that Interplay had to have commenced full-scale development of the Fallout MMO by April 4, 2009, two years after the signing of the original contract. Bethesda subsequently issued a notice to Interplay, saying the company was in breach of contract by allegedly not entering full-scale development of the MMO by the agreed upon deadline. In a regulatory filing in April this year, Interplay " adamantly" disputed that claim.

The MMO agreement also required Interplay to secure $30 million within 24 months of the original signing to fund development of the game, or else the license would be terminated. The agreement also required Interplay to launch the game within four years of signing. Bethesda would have been entitled to 12 percent of the game's sales and subscription fees.

If Bethesda prevails, Interplay would lose the rights to develop the Fallout MMO. There is little to show for the progress of the Fallout MMO in public venues, although many speculate that a mysterious title called Project V13 is in fact the Fallout MMO.

Bethesda accused Interplay of trademark infringement, two counts of breach of contract, and unfair competition. Bethesda is asking for injunctions against Interplay's manufacture, sale, and distribution of back catalog Fallout games, that a judge declare the trademark licensing agreement terminated, and that Interplay pay for damages and legal fees.

Interplay published the role-playing games Fallout and Fallout 2 in the 1990s, and the games still have a cult following. After financial turmoil in the first half of the 2000s, Interplay has been operating well below the radar, with the Fallout MMO being the company's primary point of interest.
http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25226

What a freaking mess. What does this mean for the Fallout MMO? We shall see as this develops. But it does seem that trouble and chaos have been following Interplay for a long ass time now. Which is really sad as they were one of my main stays as a games company back in the old school days.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Triffid said:
axia777 said:
Triffid said:
Not that I care, the Interplay Fallout games suck
That is blasphemy. *shakes head in disgust...*
rpgs are boring. get with the program.

fps is the way of the warrior
To each their own. If fps is the way of the warrior then RPG's are the way of the intellectual.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Not cool, Bethesda...unless you repackage Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics, sell them exactly the way I see them now, and keep the revenue for yourselves (mwahahaha) and give it to the dev team to use on voice acting for Elder Scrolls 5.

If you're just getting classic games out of the hands of gamers, that's a dick move.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
SimuLord said:
If you're just getting classic games out of the hands of gamers, that's a dick move.
That is what I thought. I have never met one person who was confused as to what the old Fallout games are and what Fallout 3 is. Who would confuse them? The first three are isometric RPG's and the Fallout 3 is a First/Third Person Shooter/RPG. What is to confuse?

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Triffid said:
axia777 said:
Triffid said:

You do know that not only is fallout 3 an rpg its only an fps if you play in first and not third person at all times and never use vats.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
obex said:
Triffid said:
axia777 said:
Triffid said:

You do know that not only is fallout 3 an rpg its only an fps if you play in first and not third person at all times and never use vats.
Yes I know. I was just countering. It also seems we were talking about RPG vs FPS and not only about Fallout 3.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Well that is a bit much...
Mind you if they are found to be legally in breach of contract, then I don't think we will be seeing Interplay for a long time/ever again.

thesmurf45

Jun 9, 2009
I never get people who say the old ones suck.
If they werent made then fallout 3 wouldnt exist.
Anyway on topic I think bethseda is just being greedy here.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
I'd say this is bad for Interplay, but honestly. They knew they had specific targets to meet, and they never met them. In terms of the classic games, I just hope it doesn't affect our ability to get hold of them.

Also, would a Fallout MMO with their current staff and creative lead be any better than Fallout 3?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I'm fine with this. A post apocalyptic world with a sudden million survivors always seemed like a bit of a weird idea..

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Merteg said:
How sad for Interplay.

Too bad they didn't read the contracts right.
This. You can't really say that Bethesda is screwing over Interplay, they did pay close to 6 Mil for the rights and Interplay wasn't exactly coerced into selling anything. If you enter into a contract, you're supposed to hold up your end - you have only yourself to blame if it feels like you're being done over. What I don't understand is why the MMO issue is so front and centre since Bethesda has never seemed to be interested in developing anything of the sort... but then again, Bioware didn't used to seem to be interested either, so I guess anything is possible.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Gormourn said:
Heh, legal clusterfuck.

I wonder how it'll end, the old Fallout games were awesome - though I couldn't care less for the MMO.
don't dismiss the idea entirely. it could potentially work, albeit only if brian fargo got it up and running.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
To Bethesda i say, "Bite the hand that feeds you much?"

I feel so bad for Interplay; their entire licensing agreement hinges on the chance they're taking developing an MMO into a rather saturated market (talk about "do or die"). 2 years is quite a short time to put even a single-player game together, let alone one that's massively multiplayer. Now Bethesda is breathing down their throat because they're selling the games that made them who they are in the first place (among other titles, like Icewind Dale) on the grounds that consumers will confuse not the two sets of games, but the two developers. It's not like Bethesda has had any trouble fleshing out an identity for themselves with the Elder Scrolls games and all, so why are they worried about Interplay releasing its own games?

I have now lost all respect for Bethesda.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Disaster Button said:
I'm fine with this. A post apocalyptic world with a sudden million survivors always seemed like a bit of a weird idea..
Bear in mind that's a few million down from a population of 6 billion. That's a paradigm shift if there ever was one.