Bethesda Teases Impending DOOM Gameplay Reveal

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Bethesda... this isn't what we want. Not that it's not exciting, but you KNOW what we want. people never went to see Led Zeppelin to hear The Immigrant Song, people never went to see Lynard Skynard to hear Mississippi Kid. and i don't know why i'm referencing classic rock, but whatever...

you know what we want.
shut your mouth and fork it over.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Pr0 said:
DOOM hasn't been DOOM since John and Adrian stopped working on it personally.

Seriously don't delude yourselves. There is nothing of the real iD in this game.

Its nothing but a name and a vague set of scenery set to explosions and gunfire that make vaguely monster like things explode.

Its not DOOM, it will never be DOOM. Not even DOOM 3 was DOOM and that actually had iD working on it.

Please keep in mind that this is the same studio that published The Evil Within. This is the same studio that had the arrogant gall to publish Rogue Warrior.

DOOM is just a name they have a legal right to use after acquiring iD...nothing more, nothing less.
That pretty much sums it up. The fact that this is yet anotherdo over shows that the game will be little more than a tech-demo of their new engine... I mean I give Doom 2 a lot of flack for being a lazy sequel but at least it advanced the plot a litrtle... .

At this point. Doom is basically just a brand. It has no actual character, no story, no reason to exist beyond showing off an engine. Saddly gamers have long ago learned that shiny graphicsusually mean short linear games.

Doom3 was a failure. THe Doom Engine went up against the HL2 Source Engine and lost badly.. Mostly because after a while we all got the idea that the tight linear corridors were more about hiding the Engine's limitations.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
MonsterCrit said:
Pr0 said:

Seriously don't delude yourselves. There is nothing of the real iD in this game.

Its nothing but a name and a vague set of scenery set to explosions and gunfire that make vaguely monster like things explode.

Its not DOOM, it will never be DOOM. Not even DOOM 3 was DOOM and that actually had iD working on it.

Please keep in mind that this is the same studio that published The Evil Within. This is the same studio that had the arrogant gall to publish Rogue Warrior.

DOOM is just a name they have a legal right to use after acquiring iD...nothing more, nothing less.
That pretty much sums it up. The fact that this is yet anotherdo over shows that the game will be little more than a tech-demo of their new engine... I mean I give Doom 2 a lot of flack for being a lazy sequel but at least it advanced the plot a litrtle... .

At this point. Doom is basically just a brand. It has no actual character, no story, no reason to exist beyond showing off an engine. Saddly gamers have long ago learned that shiny graphicsusually mean short linear games.

Doom3 was a failure. THe Doom Engine went up against the HL2 Source Engine and lost badly.. Mostly because after a while we all got the idea that the tight linear corridors were more about hiding the Engine's limitations.
Doom 3 was a failure? Says whom? Not only was it a critical hit on the Xbox, but as shown with the BFG edition's release, it has seen to a great number of sales, once again, on both the 360 and on the PC. Whether you like Doom 3 or not, is not relevant. What is relevant, is that Doom 3, was in no way, a failure.

It always cracks me up when people use their own opinions as confirmation bias, in order to condemn/dismiss games that they do not personally like.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
GarouxBloodline said:
MonsterCrit said:
Pr0 said:

Doom 3 was a failure? Says whom? Not only was it a critical hit on the Xbox, but as shown with the BFG edition's release, it has seen to a great number of sales, once again, on both the 360 and on the PC. Whether you like Doom 3 or not, is not relevant. What is relevant, is that Doom 3, was in no way, a failure.

It always cracks me up when people use their own opinions as confirmation bias, in order to condemn/dismiss games that they do not personally like.
\

Yes yes, Doom3 Made lots of money... but you know what.. so did th Blair Witch project. And do not even mention the BFG EEdition. That was one of the most shameless money gouges I've seen. I mean The fan made HD remake was better... and that was free.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
MonsterCrit said:
GarouxBloodline said:
MonsterCrit said:
Pr0 said:

\

Yes yes, Doom3 Made lots of money... but you know what.. so did th Blair Witch project. And do not even mention the BFG EEdition. That was one of the most shameless money gouges I've seen. I mean The fan made HD remake was better... and that was free.
What you are proposing, is circular logic. You dismiss hard evidence, in favour of your own bias, by saying "Doom 3 was a failure, because I said so." I like Doom 3. Am I going to state that it is a good game, as a fact? No; I would prefer sticking to the hard statistics, as to whether or not gamer favour has validated its existence. And they have.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Charcharo said:
Pr0 said:
They literally spent E3 money to do a reveal on a game nobody wanted.

That is like ninth level of hell stupid.
Are you serious mate???!@??

DOOM is one of the... greatest games ever made by mortal men.

Id rather a new DOOM (last one was in 2004) than a new Fallout (2010).
Only a STALKER 2 would be more wanted than it.
Amen to that, man. Aaah, S.T.A.L.K.E.R... really any more content would be awesome.

Is that a Revenant I see? Jeez, I hated those guys... good choice to show one, I reckon!

Heck, if the game has more of an original Doom roster but totally polished modern graphics, it might end up being a really fun shooter

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'll just leave this here.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/05/doom-4s-earlier-scrapped-version-sure-looked-different/

I enjoy hearing the lamentations of DOOMers. :)

Phlap

Jun 1, 2011
Who's actually developing this then? Is it iD themselves, or have MachineGames been secretly tinkering away while working on Wolfenstein?

-Datura-

Nov 21, 2009
Me55enger said:
I'd also like to see a classic sacred enough that a company doesn't touch it again.
Like how Copolla should've stayed away from "Heart Of Darkness"? James Cameron shouldn't have done "Aliens"? Sequels can't do anything rite, amirite?

I heard the new Doom will be less Doom3 and moar Brutal Doom. If thats true, that would certainly be a step in the right direction IMO.

MonsterCrit said:
... The fact that this is yet anotherdo over shows that the game will be little more than a tech-demo of their new engine... I mean I give Doom 2 a lot of flack for being a lazy sequel but at least it advanced the plot a litrtle... .

"Doom3 was a failure" -- Says You.

"Engine's limitations"? How about "typical gaming computer's limitations"? Doom 3 wasnt the high-octane shooting gallery it used to me, but guess what -- it wasnt trying to be. Doom 3 had two objectives -- raise the bar on gfx fidelity to a level nobody at the time imagined possible (check!) and scare the bajeezus out of players (CHECK!!!). It's true, Doom 3 was a glorified tech demo, with some "System Shock 2" survival horror copy&pasted into the design doc.... and still it achieved it's goals. Hell, stick some n00b infront of it today and they'll crap their pants just as hard as they would've 10 years ago. "Failure" my ass.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
OK...

You know what, if Croteam weren't busy with Serious Sam 4, I would just recommend id outsource it to them and have them show id just how this is ****ing done. They've shown time and time again that they know exactly how to make these kinds of games.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wait, since when is it cool to hate on Doom? 3 had some issues since it tried to be a horror game but now more then ever there have been plenty of games that grab the best of Doom and end up being good. From what was shown (to the guys that run these sites) it follows those elements very well.

Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, the second half of Serious Sam BFE were all good, its all a matter of if these guys have the skills since the game seems to be trying to be like these other games. Rage had good action so a game of just that seems to be on the right track.

This isnt the scrapped version where it really was Doom only in name:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/05/doom-4s-earlier-scrapped-version-sure-looked-different/

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm pretty hyped, that's all I'm saying.
Not going to lie, I can't claim to be an original DOOM fan, I'm pretty sure the game's older than I am but here's my story.
I saw the DOOM movie and you could stick the DVD in your xbox and play a demo of DOOM 3. Yeah, I know, the *most perfect* way to be introduced to DOOM, right?
Anyway.
I liked the demo and got DOOM 3, really liked it, not much more to say other than some time after that, I sold the game to get money for whatever and my doom fanboy went away for a little while.
Then the BFG edition came out and that was it for me. A chance to play to original DOOM games, let alone co-op with my sister and that was awesome. We've finished DOOM and DOOM 2 and we've had a blast with it, so yeah, we're pretty hyped for this new DOOM.
And I don't care what any of you say, I still like DOOM 3. Yeah, it's not as "DOOM" as the first two but hey, still pretty good.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Pr0 said:
They literally spent E3 money to do a reveal on a game nobody wanted.

That is like ninth level of hell stupid.
Nobody wants a DOOM3 2.

Everybody that was old enough to use a keyboard and mouse in the 90s wants another DOOM though.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
GarouxBloodline said:
What you are proposing, is circular logic. You dismiss hard evidence, in favour of your own bias, by saying "Doom 3 was a failure, because I said so." I like Doom 3. Am I going to state that it is a good game, as a fact? No; I would prefer sticking to the hard statistics, as to whether or not gamer favour has validated its existence. And they have.
Then again.. we hit the Blair Witch scenario. It made lots of money... was it a Good Film? Twilight Made lots of MOney... Was it a Good FIlm?

Also My logic isn't circular. You don't seem to understand how opinions work. I judge DOom3 A failure because it failed to entertain me. For a product designed for the purpose of entertainment, that's a pretty big flaw. This is compounded by the fact that it's hard to fail at making a good DOom Game... Demons over here.. YOu here, Guns over there... Have fun.

I mean It would not have taken much to top the last Doom Game. Yet somehow we didn't get DOom. We got a System Shock 2/ Dead Space wannabe.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
GarouxBloodline said:
Then again.. we hit the Blair Witch scenario. It made lots of money... was it a Good Film? Twilight Made lots of MOney... Was it a Good FIlm?

Also My logic isn't circular. You don't seem to understand how opinions work. I judge DOom3 A failure because it failed to entertain me. For a product designed for the purpose of entertainment, that's a pretty big flaw. This is compounded by the fact that it's hard to fail at making a good DOom Game... Demons over here.. YOu here, Guns over there... Have fun.

I mean It would not have taken much to top the last Doom Game. Yet somehow we didn't get DOom. We got a System Shock 2/ Dead Space wannabe.
You are not the only person in this world.

Doom 3 wasn't Doom, or Doom 2, no. But it was still a good game for it's time, and it ran quite nicely on my PC. Provided a challenge to me, and entertained enough people for them to resell it and for fans to create a HD remake.

Hold up... Dead Space wasn- Nevermind.

As for the OT reveal? Meh. It's E3, and there's nothing of value to be given. Personally, I wouldn't even consider this news. There's nothing they're actually showing us. At all. Just a pre-rendered gun and a zombie with metal bits.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Vigormortis said:
It's odd, but there's something comfortingly quaint and familiar about seeing footage of a skeletal demon, clad in metallic armor and shoulder-mounted cannons, walking around a fiery hell-scape. It's similar to that homey feeling of lying on the couch, wrapped in a warm blanket. It feels like home.

Granted, the video's nothing to go by, and, this being Bethesda, the game will almost assuredly have an abysmal PC version, but it feels.....good to see Doom again. It just feels right.
If you'll allow me, I think I can explain this similar feeling I also share.

It's because of what DOOM represents. Simple. Gaming. Fun. And arguably one of the most important games to ever be made, if not THE most important due to when it came out, and the effect it had. Right place right time type of thing.

It's unapologetically gamey, and I love that. No talking about story, or making it more "cinematic." No games should be "art." None of that appeal to broader demographics crap. Just... DOOM.

Of course it could have any or all of these things. You never know with AAA these days. But for now, I feel you.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
What Doom 3 failed? How?
I remember when it came out and everyone was all over it. There were people who complained it wasn't Doomy enough, and people who complained that it was another installment in the Doom franchise. But holy hell was it big. So, so so many mods, so so many projects that used it as a basis.
On top of that it kinda revolutionized horror gaming, you know that trick all these amazing and innovative indy horror games do, the whole "either a weapon or a flashlight" stick? That was Doom 3's thing.

Why the hell do I have to fill out a stupid captcha EVERY TIME I post? Sure, it claims it's random, but common, haven't I proven I'm not a bot by now?