Bethesdaland!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.pcgamesn.com/sites/default/files/Bethesdaland.jpg

Commence troll section of post in 3...2...1...

...Bethesda, you maniacal geniuses, I see through your strategy! Bethesdaland is the vault that contains the multiverse!

Don't believe me? How can you not see, when we have Vault Boy standing at the door, smiling as ever, beckoning us into your domain? And what a domain it is! I see how the champions of the elder gods are to the immediate right, while bordering the domain of Hell. I see the Ranger and the Doom Slayer, in their respective domains, no doubt ready to travel across the stars, to find monsters to slay. Hell and Lovecraft in unholy union - what madness is this?

And not only that, but we have earth and sky welded together as well - Prey above Dishonoured? Are not the citizens of Dunwall oppressed enough? Must they stay in their own hell, while the heavens are above them? Heavens that are under invasion by demons...sorry, aliens, granted, but still...

And at the top of it all, at the back of the vault, the denizens of the Elder Scrolls. Gods, demons, all. Tyrants, I say! Tyrants!

Okay, now that my attempt at being funny has come and gone, I do have some observations that'll hardly be groundbreaking, but, well, we'll see...

-I have a sneaking suspicion that the fact that Quake and Doom are bordering each other is intentional - both are developed by Id, both are FPS games, both deal with a lone space marine taking on demons/strogg/monster things by themselves, and so on. Going by Quake III, Doom and Quake do appear to take place in the same overall multiverse, so I wouldn't be surprised if Doomguy/Phobos/whatever is revealed for Quake Champions. Not counting on anything Doom-related though - maybe singleplayer DLC, but that's about it. Because multiplayer-wise...well, let's just say I wasn't a fan of Doom 2016's multiplayer, and from what I can tell, this is a common sentiment.

-I also notice that likewise, Prey and Dishonoured are grouped together, likely because they're both developed by Arkane, and likewise, as far as I can tell, they're the 'slower' IPs in this quartet so far. As in, Quake and Doom are about maniacs running around shooting things, while these IPs are more about stealth/survival. But if anything, this does seem to confirm that the 'land' concept isn't necessarily representative of E3 reveals, only that it seems to be reinforcing Bethesda's IP clout.

-Which does raise an interesting question, as to whether there are "Bethesda fans" (and I'm genuinely curious here). The 'land idea' kind of reminds me of something that Nintendo or Blizzard might do, as both developers tend to have fans that are invested in their products. Thing is, at something like BlizzCon, there'd in theory be six such 'lands' (Warcraft, Hearthstone, Diablo, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft, Overwatch), for six genres (MMO, CCG, ARPG, ARTS, RTS, FPS). There's some overlap there, but the Bethesda equivalent has five 'lands' and a representative of a sixth - three of which are FPS (with different focuses admittedly), two of which are open world RPGs/MMOs), and Dishonoured, which is first-person stealth. And with the other two 'lands' under construction, and with the likelihood of another Wolfenstein game...well, I'm left to ask, is it just me, or is Bethesda trying to establish itself in the cultural gestalt? The idea of cultivating a cross-IP fanbase? Because they wouldn't be the only publisher/developer to succeed in doing so, but is the genre-saminess a benefit or a hinderance?

Or, most importantly, am I just reading too much into a piece of artwork that's riffing off Disneyland more than anything else?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The Elder Scrolls section is the smallest section? What?

I consider myself a Bethesda fan, because like Koei could turn anything into Dynasty Warriors and I'd play it (excluding One Piece...though Ive considered it...), Bethesda could turn anything into an open-world RPG and I'd play it.

Plus I love all the shooters they are snatching up. I wish they could aquire Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior (along with it's dev) and reunite the family. (And give the Shadow Warrior guys control of the Duke IP so we can unite the brothers)

...But also yes, you are reading too much into some fan art or whatever.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
It's official art. If it was fan art, I wouldn't bother.

Saelune said:
Plus I love all the shooters they are snatching up. I wish they could aquire Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior (along with it's dev) and reunite the family. (And give the Shadow Warrior guys control of the Duke IP so we can unite the brothers)
Do they count as "family?" IIRC, Duke was effective repurposed as an FPS by 3D Realms to compete with Doom, and Shadow Warrior was also developed by 3D Realms, even though it's now in Flying Hog's hands. They share a linneage in terms of gameplay, but if anything, they're rivals now.

Well, least Shadow Warrior is. Not sure about Duke.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I want Rage 2 so badly since its too soon for Doom 2.

Im looking forward to bethesda conference most.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That's kinda cute. I thought it was going to be an announcement of some actual theme-park, then fell to perhaps just a sort Lego Worlds/Minecraft game announcement. Wonder how those would be received by the public.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So, what is this? Some kind of fan art?

EDIT: So official art. And, what's the difference?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Saelune said:
It's official art. If it was fan art, I wouldn't bother.

Saelune said:
Do they count as "family?" IIRC, Duke was effective repurposed as an FPS by 3D Realms to compete with Doom, and Shadow Warrior was also developed by 3D Realms, even though it's now in Flying Hog's hands. They share a linneage in terms of gameplay, but if anything, they're rivals now.

Wolfenstein, DOOM and Quake are all direct family. Duke and Shadow Warrior are cousins to them.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
B-Cell said:
I want Rage 2 so badly since its too soon for Doom 2.

Im looking forward to bethesda conference most.
Rage was so pretty. But man that game was a mess of a story. It also ends...like...randomly.

If they do a Rage 2, it better be have a better plot.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Saelune said:

I consider myself a Bethesda fan, because like Koei could turn anything into Dynasty Warriors and I'd play it (excluding One Piece...though Ive considered it...), Bethesda could turn anything into an open-world RPG and I'd play it.

What if they made an open world RPG out of a game that was already an open world. Like a bethesda version of STALKER or GTA.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
nomotog said:
Saelune said:

What if they made an open world RPG out of a game that was already an open world. Like a bethesda version of STALKER or GTA.
Never played STALKER (though I bought them recently). Bethesda's GTA would probably be like Fallout, but modern day. I'd be down.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
Damn, if there's one theme park where I wouldn't go on any of the rides, it would be a Bethesda theme park.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Hawki said:
Saelune said:

Yeah, Duke and Shadow Warrior were Apogee/3d Realms. Not ID games.

Commander Keen was ID's side scroller shooter (Published by Apogee) around the time of original Duke.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Legends say that the park staff can swim through the air like water, but few claim to have seen it themselves.

It'd be a strange amalgamation to include so many IPs. Fallout is probably what'd hold it up.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Don't be fooled, if you want to spend more than 5 minutes in the theme park you paid for, you're going to have to be a raiding asshole in spite of it being at odds with your character. (Yes I'm still bitter aboot Nuka World)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Lisker84 said:
Where's the Fallout shelter?
The entire land is the fallout shelter. Didn't you see Pip Boy at the door? It's just another one of Vault-Tech's experiments.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Sounds interesting. I'd better study up on theme park maintenance. I heard they expect their customers to fix everything when it doesn't work properly.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Saelune said:
You seem to be under the assumption that Daggerfall covered a 62,394 square mile area, one of the largest non-infinite maps in gaming history. This is wrong. You're imagining it. Nothing to see here. Take the blue pill.