Beyond Good and Evil 2 is Still Alive

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is Still Alive

The long awaited sequel to Beyond Good and Evil is in the "active creation stage."

You know how in survival movies there's always one guy who wants to remain in the crashed spaceship/plane/bus and wait for rescue, even though it's obviously not coming? I feel like that guy every time I write about Beyond Good and Evil 2. It's coming, people. It's coming. You just have to have hope.

Though perhaps my faith is about to be rewarded. According to Michel Ancel, BG&E 2 is now off the back burner and has entered active development.

"We are in an active creation stage and at this moment we are only focusing on the game and making it the best game that we can,"he told Toulouse Game [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BJChkhPNeX0#t=707s] in an interview later translated by NeoGAF. [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472889]

Ancel didn't give much away about the game, not even which console it would be appearing on.

"That decision would just distract us from that objective. I can say that it's a very ambitious game and we need some tech to achieve that ambition," he said. "We focus on the game. We create it first, then we'll see what can run it. We don't say 2013 because we don't know when it will come. We're working to create a great game and it needs more tech."

Previous reports indicated that BG&E 2 wouldn't be coming out until the next hardware generation was well established. What is apparently a leaked screenshot of the game has been circulating the internet - you can see it in the top right there. It looks nice, but next-gen nice? Perhaps not.

When asked about the game's leaked concept video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnuV-9FKLk], which some have said bears a resemblance to Mirror's Edge, Ancel responded that the game draws more from Ubisoft's platformers, Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed than EA's first person parkour game.

"We use a very dynamic camera that shakes a lot during the action to add life to the camera, giving the impression of an action news cover team following Jade," he said. "Maybe that could be similar to Mirror's Edge but the game itself is very different."

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
I'm glad you made a note here, Grey.

OT: I saw this on an article of cancelled stuff on a link from VGcharts. BGAE2 was the cover pic, but not in the article.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
It's nice to know that BG&E 2 hasn't been canceled, but I hate the fact that I have wait even longer for it to come out. With that said, I'm curious how will the final version of BG&E 2 will look.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
"We use a very dynamic camera that shakes a lot during the action to add life to the camera, giving the impression of an action news cover team following Jade [...]"

Please... please... PLEASE either don't do this, or offer an option to turn it off. It is bad enough this technique is overused in films these days. A worthy followup to BG&E does not need a gimmick like this. There are other and better ways to make it clear that Jade is as much a journalist as an action hero.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Nope, until I see a final release date and in stores, it retains it's spot next to Half-Life 3 as games that will not appear in my lifetime.

Jul 9, 2008
God I can't wait for this game, BGaE1 was one of my favorite games of all time. I'm just scared that this will fall short of my expectations.

(p.s, Ubisoft, take note of Minecraft. We do not care how technologically advanced a game is, so long as its fun. In this case, we want more of what was good with the first game: the characters, the fun gameplay, the dungeon design, etc. Graphics really don't mean that much to us)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Freechoice said:

OT: I saw this on an article of cancelled stuff on a link from VGcharts. BGAE2 was the cover pic, but not in the article.
Seriously? Why would they do that?! D:

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Now what game are they going encourage you to buy so that work on it may continue? Don't suppose anyone knows if Ubisoft have any new IPs on the way?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Not even the mention of shaky cam can ruin this moment.

It's fucking happening!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I wonder when the release date will be...same day as the next COD?

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Well thats good to know always did wonder whatever happened to the BG&E 2. but somethings odd about the trailer though it seems abit off to me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
okay, whoever on that team thinks shakycam is fun, just toss em out of the airlock please

that's not a real newscrew, that's a real BADLY TRAINED AMATEUR CAMERAMAN THAT NOBODY RESPECTS

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
weirdguy said:
okay, whoever on that team thinks shakycam is fun, just toss em out of the airlock please

that's not a real newscrew, that's a real BADLY TRAINED AMATEUR CAMERAMAN THAT NOBODY RESPECTS

No action game I'm aware of emulates the cinematography style of a news package.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
its nice to know its not dead but it sounds like its on life support so until i get a release date I'll just keep crying myself to sleep

Apr 28, 2008
YES! About damn time, I say.

Grey Carter said:
"We use a very dynamic camera that shakes a lot during the action to add life to the camera, giving the impression of an action news cover team following Jade," he said. "Maybe that could be similar to Mirror's Edge but the game itself is very different."
I really hope there's an option to turn the shaky-cam off. Since it makes me nauseous, if it's not changeable I might need to skip this game, which would be a damn shame.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
When asked about the game's leaked concept video, which some have said bears a resemblance to Mirror's Edge, Ancel responded that the game draws more from Ubisoft's platformers, Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed than EA's first person parkour game.
Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to hear the developers of Beyond Good & Evil 2 saying that they drew some inspiration from Beyond Good & Evil.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Freechoice said:
Yes, I'd definitely say it was a huge success.

To be more on topic, I'm predicting that this will be the Duke Nukem Forever of cult classics. Which will be quite disappointing. Yay pessimism

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Well, from that leaked video, I could understand why it requires better tech.
Not so much because of the fancy visuals, as much as how much is going on.
Big environments, open maps, tons of models. Lots of AIs, and some of them fairly complex.
That being said, if the finished product is like that video... that'd be pretty awesome.
Also, I've become aware that I am unaware of the original game (I mean, I've seen images n' stuff, I remember vaguely seeing ads for it what it came out, I just don't remember what it was about.) To the Wikimobile!